Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1969 Camaro Z28 Build LS3 w/ 6L80 Swap

So I grabbed this Z28 off of Craigslist in July 2018 for $2500 and $300 to tow it home. Gonna go as radical as my budget allows! I already have my LS3 and 6L80 trans that I had intentions to put in a 72 Chevelle that I sold after grabbing this 69 Camaro.
      Plans as of July 2018:
      LS3 w 6L80 trans
      4 wheel disc brakes
      Mini tub
      20 x 8.5 Front wheels and 20 x 10 rear wheels
      America Autowires complete wiring harness
      Double din Navigation
      2012 Camaro Full interior including dash, console, seats and door panels. I will detail what’s been done so far since I have already begun to restoration.
      First stop will be GraveRobbers Sheetmetal for almost everything to be replaced or repaired!

Attached Images Attached Images            

Before I dropped off 69 to GraveRobbers I did a tear down to access my car. I quickly realized that this was gonna be expensive. Everything was rusted and seized.

As a long time Camaro enthusiast its cool that you are going to save a car that far gone. It will take lots of patience and $$$. What type of suspension upgrades do you have planned? Looks like a great start with the drivetrain.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

I’m going Stock Subframe Powder Coated Red, Tubular Control Arms, Coilovers, Unisteer Rear Mount Power Steering Rack and Pinion, Right Stuff 4 wheel Disc Brake system, Multi Leaf, 12 bolt Rear end with 4:10 Gear and rear Coil Overs as well. The guys at Southern Camaro and Firebird in Lagrange, GA have been very helpful in assisting me in build ideas and parts. I plan on putting some of this stuff together as well as sending the car out to people more capable than myself. I did build out the subframe myself. By the way, Miller’s Powder Coating blasted and powdered coated my Subframe red for me for only $200.

Country Flag: United States
      I always like finding threads where people take a completely ruined car and brings it back to life. My question is why do people let them get into this shape? I tried for three years to buy a '66 Nova SS but they would never sell. It was in the back yard under a tree.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

If it were me I’d get a dynacorn body and use the title and vin tag. Your going to spend well over 20 grand to get that rust free

Nice project, I can't wait to see the mods for the trans. Let us know if it needs to be wider and taller.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

If those Right Stuff rear disc brakes are metric Cadillac calipers I would keep looking. They are less than optimum brakes imho. In fact they suck big time imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

No Dynacorn body for me. I consider that a kit car and I have been quoted far less than $13,000 and another thousand for shipping. To bring it all the way back with its going to be $5000 labor plus parts from the best Camaro Sheet Metal place in the southeast US, GraveRobbers 770-287-4240 JEFF. He had my car for about 8 weeks. Check out the work done.
      All told they replaced full floor pan, full trunk pan, install mini tubs, both quarters, tail pan, trunk drip rail, both rockers, replaced cowl, replaced firewall, repaired windshield area as well as rear window area, roof, both kick panels, dash. I was very happy with the work and the fact that they had a dedicated jig specifically for the 69 Camaro.

That looks good,glad you saved another Camaro.Keep the pics coming.

You know what’s crazy is that I really wanted to go with the brake system off of a 2012 Camaro SS but i thought that was too radical. After buying the Right Stuff kit from Summitt Racing and installing the front part I realized that I didn’t like them. NO returns of course so now I am looking for the brackets so that I can take the brakes off of the salvage SS that I bought for the engine/trans setup. Sure wish that I had started posting this build earlier because that $1400 is gone bye bye. Now I have to try to sell for half price

Phenomenal job they did, looks like you took it to the right place.

Country Flag: Philippines
      The beginning pictures looks like what I started with lol.....almost. Looks good. Keep the progress pics coming
      69 Camaro LS2, ridetech 4 link fikse wheels yada yada yada
      17 Grand Sport

So...mini tubs? No mini tubs?
      Mark

70 Nova, Hotchkis springs and sway bar GW uppers, Bilsteins, , sub connectors, Smooth firewall hidden wiper motor, LS1, 425 rwhp, 175 NOS Ridetech 4 link HQ Coilovers, Mini tubs, 315's. Ridetech billet gas cap, FLT level 5 4L60E, Yank

Of course I did Mini Tubs. I wanted to put at least 12” back there in the rear

Mini tubs were a must for me. I wanted to put wide tires on the rear. Ive had the car painted and here are a few pics.

We have been painted and now we are putting her back together before we take apart and work on installation of the 6.2 and 6L80

Thanks to John Tucker at Southern Performance System (678)482-0866 for all his help. He helped me pick my pulley system. Sold me an LS Swap Starter kit as well as Vintage Air and has answered my thousands of questions regarding the swap.

Wow this is an extensive build. Thank you for sharing the dollar amounts on what it's costing you. What was the sheet metal total cost?
      Ahmad B.

Country Flag: Germany
      Very nice. I am doing the same build rightnow. Back in black from dead to the street............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com