Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9

    1973 Camaro Stealth Build

    I'm not much of a writer so I'll let the photos do most of the talking. I've always been more of a Foxbody Mustang guy, but seeing a nice 2nd gen Camaro always put a smile on my face. With all the crazy laws we have here in CA, I knew that when the time came for a new project car, I had to go old school. The '70-73 Camaro was a no brainer. I found this decent one out in Phoenix, AZ back in February of 2018. I took a 2hr flight, checked out the car, and made a deal on the spot.

    The goal for this car is to have it track ready and worthy. I'm hoping to road race it 2-3 times a year for fun, do weekend cruises, and possibly hit up a few local car shows if I can get it looking right.

    How it looked when I first got it. The paint is nice from a afar, but far from good.



    The previous redid the carpets and seats.



    He also installed a new GM LY6 motor with a LS9. This is a horrible cam for this motor btw. It has no low end torque.


    I don't have the time nor all of the skills needed to get this build to where I want it to be so I've reach out to Vince from Meanstreets Performance out of Gilroy, CA to help me in that department. With my design sense and vision, I created this render of what the Stealth Build will become.







  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    279
    Country Flag: United States
    Very cool. What hood is that?
    See me in Camaro Performers

    DIY Projector Headlights, LED Tail Lights, and more. See my website.

    ULTM8Z Website

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
    Very cool. What hood is that?
    This was a hood that I designed since I couldn't find anything available that suited my style. Vince and I will be working with a local carbon fiber manufacturer to get one made for my car. I'm going to try to convince them to make it available to the public. Hopefully this happens b/c I honestly feel like the Camaro crowd have very limited choices when it comes to aftermarket cowl hoods. The one that came with the car is awful in my opinion.

    Once that aspect of the build gets going, I'll update the thread with progress and photos.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,566
    Country Flag: United States
    Great start! Welcome to our addictions.
    VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    63
    Country Flag: United States
    Amazing work on the renders!
    1965 Buick Skylark Sport Coupe V8, Two Door Hardtop - Project
    2014 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic - Daily

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    279
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scscamaro View Post
    This was a hood that I designed since I couldn't find anything available that suited my style. Vince and I will be working with a local carbon fiber manufacturer to get one made for my car. I'm going to try to convince them to make it available to the public. Hopefully this happens b/c I honestly feel like the Camaro crowd have very limited choices when it comes to aftermarket cowl hoods. The one that came with the car is awful in my opinion.

    Once that aspect of the build gets going, I'll update the thread with progress and photos.
    agreed. I really dont llike any of the commercially available goods for 2nd gens.

    the body lines on a 2nd gen for some reason dont lend themselves to hood scoops or cowls very well.
    See me in Camaro Performers

    DIY Projector Headlights, LED Tail Lights, and more. See my website.

    ULTM8Z Website

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl
    Posts
    915
    Country Flag: United States
    Was waiting for answer on hood, but I had a feeling it didn't exist premade.
    Making a good fitting quality hood with an understructure is quite an initial process. Another option is if you can find a decent quality stock fiberglass hood from someone like vfn or even harwood & raise the center up & add structure to hold some aftermarket functional venting IROC hood vents, which I'm pretty sure are still out there. VFN lists stock flat bolt on hood for $475. Weight 24 lbs http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7081camaro.htm
    If venting the top of the hood, then the back of the cowl area should be closed off from having windshield air forced back in, causing turbulence, which is something I need to correct on my own custom hood later.
    Do like the rendering. On small details may want to junk the factory door handles for something like the rectangular Kindig Flush models.
    From casual glance, it looks like you got a good starting point, hopefully no surprises that won't be scrapped anyways.Name:  iroc_top_hood_1.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  200.2 KB

    Saw some CF bumpers. Also the Maroon camaro on the page linked has a similar hood profile , minus the louvers. I see Carbon Kustoms makes it.
    http://www.customworksperformance.ne...ass-parts.html
    https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...w=1366&bih=623

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
    Was waiting for answer on hood, but I had a feeling it didn't exist premade.
    Making a good fitting quality hood with an understructure is quite an initial process. Another option is if you can find a decent quality stock fiberglass hood from someone like vfn or even harwood & raise the center up & add structure to hold some aftermarket functional venting IROC hood vents, which I'm pretty sure are still out there. VFN lists stock flat bolt on hood for $475. Weight 24 lbs http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7081camaro.htm
    If venting the top of the hood, then the back of the cowl area should be closed off from having windshield air forced back in, causing turbulence, which is something I need to correct on my own custom hood later.
    Do like the rendering. On small details may want to junk the factory door handles for something like the rectangular Kindig Flush models.
    From casual glance, it looks like you got a good starting point, hopefully no surprises that won't be scrapped anyways.Name:  iroc_top_hood_1.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  200.2 KB

    Saw some CF bumpers. Also the Maroon camaro on the page linked has a similar hood profile , minus the louvers. I see Carbon Kustoms makes it.
    http://www.customworksperformance.ne...ass-parts.html
    https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...w=1366&bih=623
    Those are the vents that I want incorporated into the hood. I'm going to try to get Trackspec Motorsports on board and see if they want to be apart of the build. It should be pretty neat.

    The final version of the hood will get rid of the peak that's often found on these cowl hoods. This will allow the top area of the fenders and hood to flow a little better in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,340
    Country Flag: United States
    Looks like a great project! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the hood. I will mention that if you're going to use it on road courses be very careful with the hood design to be sure you don't block your line of sight when making right hand corners or it becomes easy to miss corner apex. Wearing a helmet reduces headroom so you can't have the seat too high and if the hood bump in the center is high, off camber rights can be tough. Turn 3 at Road Atlanta was tough for me in my 70 bird with a slightly raised shaker scoop, so I ended up removing the scoop at that track. Also had an issue with a right turn at Sebring and had to run without the shaker.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl
    Posts
    915
    Country Flag: United States
    I agree. the hood looks better with just a hint of peak in the center rather than a full V-shape. Wider with of raised center also looks so much tougher than the me too cowl induction scoop.. The carbon customs version looks real similar to yours, but not as tall.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
    I agree. the hood looks better with just a hint of peak in the center rather than a full V-shape. Wider with of raised center also looks so much tougher than the me too cowl induction scoop.. The carbon customs version looks real similar to yours, but not as tall.
    I dig the Carbon Customs hood too. I just prefer a slightly higher rise and with the vents incorporated into the hood. It should look like it's part of the hood like that red 3rd gen hood and not like an afterthought. However, the CC hood was the backup plan if this idea doesn't work out.

    Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
    Looks like a great project! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the hood. I will mention that if you're going to use it on road courses be very careful with the hood design to be sure you don't block your line of sight when making right hand corners or it becomes easy to miss corner apex. Wearing a helmet reduces headroom so you can't have the seat too high and if the hood bump in the center is high, off camber rights can be tough. Turn 3 at Road Atlanta was tough for me in my 70 bird with a slightly raised shaker scoop, so I ended up removing the scoop at that track. Also had an issue with a right turn at Sebring and had to run without the shaker.
    Noted and good to know.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    With a bunch of goodies arriving, the shop has started to disassemble the car.






    I've never had a car broken down into pieces like this before. Welcome to the old school world I guess, lol.






  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl
    Posts
    915
    Country Flag: United States
    Nice start. Always gets me though when someone did a high performance horsepower improving build with a lot of good items & then used exhaust manifolds.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    81
    Damn this is gonna be sick Vin! Any recent updates? 2nd Gen split bumpers have always been my favorite Camaro's!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
    Damn this is gonna be sick Vin! Any recent updates? 2nd Gen split bumpers have always been my favorite Camaro's!
    Here's a little bit of update on the car.

    The trunk has been cut to raise the fuel tank to accommodate the center exhaust design.


    Center exhaust mock up with 3" tips.


    My Forgeline wheels came in. 18x12 with 335 in the rear with tubs.


    18x11 with 315s up front with Speedtech front subframe kit.


    With fenders on.




    LeMans style fuel door mock up.


    More to come in the next several months.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    81
    Damn that’s gonna be one of the sickest 2nd Gens for sure!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    947
    Country Flag: United States
    If you're doing paint/body work anyway I'd shave the side marker lights too.
    SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
    "CF71" - Freedom Bird
    Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
    Damn that’s gonna be one of the sickest 2nd Gens for sure!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
    If you're doing paint/body work anyway I'd shave the side marker lights too.
    I will need to go in for paint and I've thought about shaving the side markers, but I don't mind them at the same time. It's not an eye sore to me so I might just smoke them.