Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

73 Firebird Reborn

Hey Guys! This project is getting off the ground so I thought it would be a good idea to start a build thread to keep track of all my progress.

Here's a little back story....I purchased a 1973 Firebird on 06/02/2015 from a guy who lost interest & time in the car. The car had been taken to a body shop for work and never finished off by the owner. It sat there in primer with zero rust, a straight body, the original 350 engine, and just needing some TLC here and there. After some negotiating and 6k later I had the title to the car. Since the the car was already at a body shop also and practically prepped for paint, I was able to work out a deal to have it painted before bringing it home to start the build.

I knew I wanted it to be a black so I went to one of our largest car shows we have out here to check out black paint jobs. After hunting around I came across a Dodge Dart that was nicknamed Dart Vadar with by far the best looking black paint there. It looked a shader darker then all the others. The guy was nice enough to share the paint code to me and tell me that the paint was from House of Kolors.

So as i'm writing this, I'm waiting for my formula hood to show up at the shop from out of state and the car to be sprayed! In the meantime though I started working on a concept. I'm a 3d artist for a living so I figured I would put this time to good use to mock up where I see this build going. I'm sure this might change some down the road, but here's the latest concept I made. I'm wanting to go for a mix of old school and new school but something that still screams muscle car! Hope you like, Cheers!

Welcome, and fine choice of car.

I'm eager to see some pics
      Traven

Hmm...had to

Name:  2009-11-12_154001.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  58.1 KB
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Dustin,

Looking forward to watching your build!

Sorry guys! I guess I didnt have the concept link correct up top. Let me know if you still cant see it at the top. Just the concept I made for now, but more to come! Hopefully I can get to the shop this weekend to take some pics of the car. Its about a 2 hour drive from me at the moment. Cheers!

Looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddavisart View Post
      Sorry guys! I guess I didnt have the concept link correct up top. Let me know if you still cant see it at the top. Just the concept I made for now, but more to come! Hopefully I can get to the shop this weekend to take some pics of the car. Its about a 2 hour drive from me at the moment. Cheers!

Thanks man! Heres another mockup I did for the matte black stripe I am thinking of doing. Also a shot of the wheels I am going with.

The car is going to look awesome when its done. Good luck and keep posting pictures.

Nice!
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Thanks guys for the comments! I stopped by the paint shop on Friday to drop off some new side mirrors, aerocatches and some awesome hood hinges from Eddie's Motorsports. Love the quality on these hinges. Car is unrecognizable right now but here's a shot of it getting ready for some door jamb paint. Also found a Formula hood that should work and had it shipped over from out of state.

Cheers
      Dustin

Awesome looking concept! You should consider using the plastic/fiberglass lower valance. This is the part that holds your turn signal parking lights. In 72 and 73 they offered a plastic version of the steel valance. It is much cleaner and it eliminates the gap under the headlight. Most of the original cars cracked when new and the dealers would replace it with the metal one.

What's the plan with the motor are you keeping it Pontiac? And I would love to know the paint code for the black you were talking about.

Thanks and good luck with your build!
      Pat

Thanks Pat! The car actually has the plastic valance and it looks to be be in good shape so i'm hoping to reuse it. When I originally did the concept, the reference I was using had the steel one and I didnt pickup on the differences until I saw the car again this weekend. I come from owning a couple of 2nd Gen Camaro's, but this is my first Firebird so I'm still picking up on some of the differences .

I wanted to go with a modern engine & trans for this one. It will have a LS3 418 around 600hp at the crank on a 6 speed T56. I had a supercharged ls3 that I liked alot in a newer camaro, so was looking at going with something similar. Figured I would lose the supercharger this time around though and just take the LS3 up to a 418 instead to keep it NA.

Oh and the paint code I went with was House of Kolors bc-25. Not cheap stuff, but the car I saw with it won me over.
      Cheers
      Dustin

Small update, the car is stillllll at the bodyshop from a series of unfortunate events and the shop needing to relocate to a new building. I might just go grab the car at this point as my patience has worn off.

In the meantime i got the brakes I will be running for the car. C6 Stoptech 6pot/4pot calipers on 14in rotors. Also the extreme subframe from Speedtech should be showing up over the next few weeks so I will start assembling that shortly. Heres a few pictures of the beefy brakes. My son approved

Cheers
      Dustin

Looks like Speedtech started shipping some of the parts for the subframe already. These double adjustable Viking coilovers was waiting for me at the house today. 500lb/225lb spring rates. Nice quality from the looks.

Cheers
      Dustin

I'm a bit behind on updating here so time for an update!

Got the wheels & tires in from Rotiform. Lvs 18x11/315's & 18x12/335's on the rear. Had them finished with a gloss black lip and matte black center. I think they will work out great for this build & they did a great job on them.

Also got the Extreme subframe in from Speedtech. This thing looks amazing. I just started assembling some of it, but most of it is still in pieces. Had a little time earlier today and got the steering rack mounted on it!

And then there's a few random pictures of other goodies that have showed up over the past couple of months.. Centerforce Dyad DS clutch kit, NRG Steering release, Momo Mod07 steering wheel, and R40 Lugs!

Cheers
      Dustin

Front Splitter

Quote Originally Posted by ddavisart View Post
      Hey Guys! This project is getting off the ground so I thought it would be a good idea to start a build thread to keep track of all my progress.

Here's a little back story....I purchased a 1973 Firebird on 06/02/2015 from a guy who lost interest & time in the car. The car had been taken to a body shop for work and never finished off by the owner. It sat there in primer with zero rust, a straight body, the original 350 engine, and just needing some TLC here and there. After some negotiating and 6k later I had the title to the car. Since the the car was already at a body shop also and practically prepped for paint, I was able to work out a deal to have it painted before bringing it home to start the build.

I knew I wanted it to be a black so I went to one of our largest car shows we have out here to check out black paint jobs. After hunting around I came across a Dodge Dart that was nicknamed Dart Vadar with by far the best looking black paint there. It looked a shader darker then all the others. The guy was nice enough to share the paint code to me and tell me that the paint was from House of Kolors.

So as i'm writing this, I'm waiting for my formula hood to show up at the shop from out of state and the car to be sprayed! In the meantime though I started working on a concept. I'm a 3d artist for a living so I figured I would put this time to good use to mock up where I see this build going. I'm sure this might change some down the road, but here's the latest concept I made. I'm wanting to go for a mix of old school and new school but something that still screams muscle car! Hope you like, Cheers!

Hi where can I purchase this Front splitter ?

2016! this thread better have gone silent because you're too busy out destroying tires

I hope he completed it, that concept picture made me feel like a 13 year old getting his first look at a Playboy!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com