Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      This project seems like the opioid enhanced dream of a delusional metal working madman. Sign me up!!!! Excellent project. Go big or go home!!
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      I do have a question for you guys. This engine will use a WRX clutch that works with the flywheel from the Subaru gears swap kit. I am trying to get some insight as to what I should look for in a clutch that is strong enough to hold around 550 crank hp and have an on/off type engagement vs having a large degree of slip.

I have never uprgraded from a stock clutch on any of my vehicles. So I am kind of lost in all the different varieties.
      Not quite sure what you mean by on/off type of clutch but i daily'd my 02 wrx for years with a puck clutch and lightened flywheel. Those can easily handle that type of power and once you get a good feel for the clutch i could take off smooth with no judder. Also i would look into swapping jdm sti gear sets or ppg gears into the wrx 5 speed, or sell it and buy the STI 6 speed. 1-2 are like glass and even with the original 4 cylinder its a guarantee they will shatter with anything over 300hp. the Stock 6 speeds are bullet proof but you will need to get STI knuckles/hubs since the axles are bigger. Awesome project by the way! this thing is going to turn out awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      Not quite sure what you mean by on/off type of clutch but i daily'd my 02 wrx for years with a puck clutch and lightened flywheel. Those can easily handle that type of power and once you get a good feel for the clutch i could take off smooth with no judder. Also i would look into swapping jdm sti gear sets or ppg gears into the wrx 5 speed, or sell it and buy the STI 6 speed. 1-2 are like glass and even with the original 4 cylinder its a guarantee they will shatter with anything over 300hp. the Stock 6 speeds are bullet proof but you will need to get STI knuckles/hubs since the axles are bigger. Awesome project by the way! this thing is going to turn out awesome.
      Thank you all for the kind words. I’ll say I am little surprised there has not been any “what the hell are you doing to that car” sort of comments.

The on/off type engagement that is an talking about is where from a stop and there is very little easing into going. I am fine with shudders and whatever come along with it. I plan on upgrading to some better gear sets. A straight cut gear set, I believe Subaru gears makes a set so I may look into that, once it is a driver. What clutch did you run?

Until I get a hold of a large stack of cash and can afford a mendola or something this will have to suffice.

If you've ever seen my camaro nose el camino project which is now being widebodied along with a c-7 z06 vette rear bumper, you'd know I am in no way qualified to ask what the hell are you doing---unless I see something I can advise on. Some of us need to do a little crazy to make everyone else seem more normal.
      I though I posted something for you about clutches yesterday, think I forgot to hit enter. again. Anyway organic are your basic clutch compounds, then moving up into the metallic which may contain ceramic, Kevlar etc. The puck styles as Shawn mentioned are the less girlfriend friendly grippier types which is more of what you need. A good balanced unit against a good true flywheel driven properly won't shutter much. If available, which would be more pricey, twin or even triple disc units can offer way more grip without needing overly heavy pressure plate springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      If you've ever seen my camaro nose el camino project which is now being widebodied along with a c-7 z06 vette rear bumper, you'd know I am in no way qualified to ask what the hell are you doing---unless I see something I can advise on. Some of us need to do a little crazy to make everyone else seem more normal.
      I though I posted something for you about clutches yesterday, think I forgot to hit enter. again. Anyway organic are your basic clutch compounds, then moving up into the metallic which may contain ceramic, Kevlar etc. The puck styles as Shawn mentioned are the less girlfriend friendly grippier types which is more of what you need. A good balanced unit against a good true flywheel driven properly won't shutter much. If available, which would be more pricey, twin or even triple disc units can offer way more grip without needing overly heavy pressure plate springs.
      Great info, thank you. I’ll do some digging and see what I can come up with. How accurate are the horsepower ratings that the manufacturers put on them?

I’ll check out your build, that sounds awesome. I’m just trying to step outside of the norm. I’m trying to fabricate everything that I can vs purchasing brackets, exhaust, fuel cell etc. I have a small cnc plasma table that should help me accomplish that. I figure I can cut the cost of the build drastically this way.

As far as many hp ratings on clutches, I'd say most are fair, though hard to say how long they can last under abuse near that actual rating, which also means it's good to have one over rated for your needs.. With any clutch, if it's not excessively slipped & grips tight enough to not slip under full power, it could live a good life.
      Just like with batteries, there are only really a few actual manufacturers, but so many different ways the are specked out. LUK is a main one. Also to mention , there are some clutch repair shops that can reconfigure & upgrade clutch pads, pressure plate springs, swap input spline sections, etc.

As far as many hp ratings on clutches, I'd say most are fair, though hard to say how long they can last under abuse near that actual rating, which also means it's good to have one over rated for your needs.. With any clutch, if it's not excessively slipped & grips tight enough to not slip under full power, it could live a good life.
      Just like with batteries, there are only really a few actual manufacturers, but so many different ways the are specked out. LUK is a main one. Also to mention , there are some clutch repair shops that can reconfigure & upgrade clutch pads, pressure plate springs, swap input spline sections, etc.
      Very interesting, that is a lot of good info!

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting, that is a lot of good info!

So over the past couple days I have been working on designing the rear suspension on the car. I’ve had to make a couple conversion parts, but the hard design work had been done by Factory five. I just duplicated what I saw on their diagram for the part. The front two bars had me thinking for a while. But this is what I came up with.

Name:  B56C84F1-134F-4F46-AE40-564781A90571.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  354.7 KBName:  B63CE6D0-7C13-4ACC-9F69-68445F1A6CBC.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  257.1 KBName:  8F9741DB-935E-4680-AD18-1CF418A8C6F6.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  338.2 KBName:  B2C09BB1-64D2-458F-88B0-6FFAF6AE0BD0.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  265.1 KB

I now have serious tool envy. I want a small CNC plasma so bad. Nice work there.

That arm layout looks so odd to me after I look at more traditional control arm setups (pure observation, I see nothing wrong). Are you somewhat following the factory control arm layout from the Subie?
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

It is based off of the 818 kit cars design and they basically followed Subaru’s design. With a modified spindle and replacing the strut with an upper control arm. I am trying to follow the basic concept based solely off what I have seen in these pictures and the limited knowledge I have from studying suspension design and tuning. What could go wrong 😳

Name:  ACA0150B-6C3D-4AD5-AA53-867CDBB572C6.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  9.8 KB

Will the blue steel frame be part of the car when finished or is that your frame table?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Will the blue steel frame be part of the car when finished or is that your frame table?
      I used it for both the table and the frame.

Thank you all for the kind words. I’ll say I am little surprised there has not been any “what the hell are you doing to that car” sort of comments.

The on/off type engagement that is an talking about is where from a stop and there is very little easing into going. I am fine with shudders and whatever come along with it. I plan on upgrading to some better gear sets. A straight cut gear set, I believe Subaru gears makes a set so I may look into that, once it is a driver. What clutch did you run?

Until I get a hold of a large stack of cash and can afford a mendola or something this will have to suffice.
      Perfect! you will be fine them with that setup. Mine was the Exedy 6 puck with their lightened fly wheel which was around 12 lbs. I dont remember the hp rating but it was waaaaay more than what my car needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      Perfect! you will be fine them with that setup. Mine was the Exedy 6 puck with their lightened fly wheel which was around 12 lbs. I dont remember the hp rating but it was waaaaay more than what my car needed.

Something like this seems to fit what you’re describing. Based off the specs it should work. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...isc-clutch-kit

Glad to see another mid engine conversion on here! We are a rare breed. I was thinking about doing a 2nd gen next. You will love the traction from all the weight back there but will probably hate the amount of low speed under steering its going to have. Following this build for sure! Ohh and solid hub 6 pucks arent that bad. Thats what I run. Just takes some getting used to. I went with a Spec clutch setup and recommend them.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Glad to see another mid engine conversion on here! We are a rare breed. I was thinking about doing a 2nd gen next. You will love the traction from all the weight back there but will probably hate the amount of low speed under steering its going to have. Following this build for sure! Ohh and solid hub 6 pucks arent that bad. Thats what I run. Just takes some getting used to. I went with a Spec clutch setup and recommend them.
      I am going to be running a large front spoiler and there will be an air dam that flows up over the hood. I am hoping that my high speed downforce will keep it from lifting in the front. I’m hoping since the wheelbase is 118” and almost all the weight is between the wheels it will be pretty well balanced.

I’ll check out spec clutch and see what they have for my application. I hope more people start doing the conversions, especially if the mid engine corvette does end up getting released.

I am going to be running a large front spoiler and there will be an air dam that flows up over the hood. I am hoping that my high speed downforce will keep it from lifting in the front. I’m hoping since the wheelbase is 118” and almost all the weight is between the wheels it will be pretty well balanced.

I’ll check out spec clutch and see what they have for my application. I hope more people start doing the conversions, especially if the mid engine corvette does end up getting released.
      I just added some front aero to my car. Havent tested it yet. Need to get stiff rear springs too. Hoping to get rid of most of the understeer.

I have a feeling you will have a better weight distribution then me since 1 - you went the longitude route and 2 - your engine weighs a lot more then mine and is way farther forward. Should be a well balanced car when you are done!

What are you doing interior wise for an engine compartment?
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Very cool project! See if the vin starts with 2X...... if so then it is a real 10th Anniversary Trans Am. Some will give you hell about but almost all of them were saved so I wouldn’t sweat it. I once found two in a pick a part on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I just added some front aero to my car. Havent tested it yet. Need to get stiff rear springs too. Hoping to get rid of most of the understeer.

I have a feeling you will have a better weight distribution then me since 1 - you went the longitude route and 2 - your engine weighs a lot more then mine and is way farther forward. Should be a well balanced car when you are done!

What are you doing interior wise for an engine compartment?
      How much does your car weigh? I bet that thing rips.

It is going to be mostly open, I will have the bulkhead in front of the engine and I will have a full length belly pan beyond that nothing really. There probably won’t be much inner skin left in the car.

Nice build! I have been back and forth with my Blazer about being mid engine and looking at rear transmissions. Didn't even think about using a Subaru transmission. Hmmm wonder if my wife would notice if her transmission was gone. lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com