Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Is the front going to be near that wide also? Didn't realize the back wheels would be so wide.
      It'll definitely be hard to make that much stretch look good in that short of a space.
      This was another hair brained thought of an option since the body is pretty much a floorless shell anyway. Split the roof in the center, stopping the cut at the front windshield framing. Then slice the rear about an inch outside of the trunk line. Then you can flare the back out maybe 2 to 3"" per side at the rear door opening area. Then slice across the top of the quarters at the center of the new wheel opening, which will be roughly 70% wider than the width gain at rear of doors. Then taper rear half of quarter back a little and make the rear 2 to 3" wider per side.

Just a thought that I been thinking on a while here. Would definitely give an aggressive look fitting to a mid engine car & make the flairout area at the wheels themselves less ridiculous looking. Since you have a floorless shell, this could be less work than it sounds like for the result it will give you, especially considering the difficulty of making that wide of a body flaring job look good.

If you want to consider this option, take me a better high view picture of the top rear of the car. I know someone with a pencil & paper.
      This makes the most sense to me personally... and I'm wondering why the A-arms are sooo long... I think if you cut their length in half and pull the tires to the center by half their width and then execute the mods above you'd have a more cohesive and visually appealing look to the car. I'm just not sure why you'd want to push the tires so far out when they're not twice as wide. I dig the wide body idea but I think a little refinement will go along way toward the finished product and make your metal shaping and blending of body lines a lot easier.

Just my $0.02 since you asked... dig the idea! Keep pushing forward!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Well , if the quarters are extended out the way I'm now picturing, it would give the sort of roof/ sail panel to quarter sail panel look of let's say a 5th gen camaro or 69 charger . Done right , it would look bad ass rather than corny stupid, just a different approach.
      The car in the link below is a the magnaflow hellcat challenger lowered, widened & blended with 69' charger body parts. It gives a good view of the widening of the main part of the body around the roof & center of doors. You can see some of the upper body lines crossing into the door that I incorporated into the last sketch, best seen in person on a 69'charger. It's hard to see the cokebottle & almost double x-shape I'd call it in pictures. Ignore the lack of flares or tall body above wheel wells in this pic. Also it has a widened rear.
      http://www.torquedmag.com/magnaflow-...-a-69-charger/

The NRE Maximus charger in raw metal is also good to view the upper body shapes.
      https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4waOUwOM6KTGM:

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      This makes the most sense to me personally... and I'm wondering why the A-arms are sooo long... I think if you cut their length in half and pull the tires to the center by half their width and then execute the mods above you'd have a more cohesive and visually appealing look to the car. I'm just not sure why you'd want to push the tires so far out when they're not twice as wide. I dig the wide body idea but I think a little refinement will go along way toward the finished product and make your metal shaping and blending of body lines a lot easier.

Just my $0.02 since you asked... dig the idea! Keep pushing forward!
      Thanks for your input. I know I could have run shorter a arms then I wouldn’t have had to do any body mods. ( or at least very few) i am going for a little over the top look with the whole thing. The A arms are wide for a few reasons, with the wider arms every movement is a little more gradual. The long arms also allow me to keep the area looking a little less cluttered, I will just have the arms, tie rod and pushrod bars there. And lastly ideally you want your mounting of your wheels as close to the center of the wheel as possible, so to keep the width of the wheels out there for stability while not running a huge lip I had to run long arms.
      Dalton
      1979 Midengine Trans Am. “Transmarrow”
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...gine-LQ9-build

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Well , if the quarters are extended out the way I'm now picturing, it would give the sort of roof/ sail panel to quarter sail panel look of let's say a 5th gen camaro or 69 charger . Done right , it would look bad ass rather than corny stupid, just a different approach.
      The car in the link below is a the magnaflow hellcat challenger lowered, widened & blended with 69' charger body parts. It gives a good view of the widening of the main part of the body around the roof & center of doors. You can see some of the upper body lines crossing into the door that I incorporated into the last sketch, best seen in person on a 69'charger. It's hard to see the cokebottle & almost double x-shape I'd call it in pictures. Ignore the lack of flares or tall body above wheel wells in this pic. Also it has a widened rear.
      http://www.torquedmag.com/magnaflow-...-a-69-charger/

The NRE Maximus charger in raw metal is also good to view the upper body shapes.
      https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4waOUwOM6KTGM:
      Honestly, I dig your idea for the sail panel and changing the shape of the rear portion of the door. I’m starting to lay some things out and start on the wireform this week. It’s going to take me a little bit to wrap my head around it all.
      Dalton

I wish we lived closer together because I can only imagine the builds we could come up with! I love that you are going so wide and wish my Blazer wasn't so square so I could do more. It has been a challenge for me trying to figure out how to get the six inches wider to go with a square body and looking at your car all kind of round ideas popping into my head. Can't wait to see some metal work on your car!

Name:  1B4CCB94-9B49-4726-970F-08C82D76D9AF.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  9.9 KB

I had a square body a few years ago. There isn’t any easy way to go wider. But I really like this truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      I wish we lived closer together because I can only imagine the builds we could come up with! I love that you are going so wide and wish my Blazer wasn't so square so I could do more. It has been a challenge for me trying to figure out how to get the six inches wider to go with a square body and looking at your car all kind of round ideas popping into my head. Can't wait to see some metal work on your car!
      Dalton

Looks like a pretty cool truck. I see a way to go a little wider with the body.

A few other Idea pictures would be the rad rides by troy 87 camaro and the bodylines on a 77 monte carlo, which flare out in their own style. Both would be for general visualization of shapes rather than actual shapes.
      On the back I am thinking the tail lights could be spread apart the distance to put a license plate between them without cutting into them after removing small center panel. Or you could do round lights like road rage has, but I think the bird lights would be cooler.
      On the front one thought would be widening the entire nose to near the wheel well length like on the vette pic below. A reproduction fiberglass nose would be easiest to fab with. Personally I like the 77'nose better.
      Name:  post-222-1560303866-002.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  76.8 KB
      Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  14.0 KB
      Name:  1987-camaro-rad-rides-ft-01.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  99.4 KB
      The upper rear quarter shape of a 5th or 6th gen camaro would be a good starting point, but wider & extended into the door.
      Name:  699e8603a8_1024.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  354.6 KB

Modern Trans Am Rendering

Name:  1c563445895055_58406cb876fa1.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  148.1 KB

They total messed up the front of this modern take on a Trans Am but I think the flares and rear execution are great! (minus the oversized wing) This is what I'd shoot for with your wide body.
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      Name:  1B4CCB94-9B49-4726-970F-08C82D76D9AF.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  9.9 KB

I had a square body a few years ago. There isn’t any easy way to go wider. But I really like this truck.
      would love to see some pics of this truck

Also would like to know more about the truck! My son is building a 78 K5 2wd Blazer and would love some ideas. :D

Not sure if you saw it, but Nelson Racing Engines posted about them building a mid-engine 67 GTO. From the little I saw it looks pretty nuts. Might be something worth peeking at to steal some ideas or get more inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZydsZYppRQ
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Not sure if you saw it, but Nelson Racing Engines posted about them building a mid-engine 67 GTO. From the little I saw it looks pretty nuts. Might be something worth peeking at to steal some ideas or get more inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZydsZYppRQ
      If Jesus Christ Himself wanted a '67 GTO, this would be the one. Unbelievable....

Dalton, I'm sure your head is starting to hurt at this point trying to decide on things, but preplanning is important here.
      Your project & your choice of how to do it, but to build something that would really look cool now & also look cool years later, I think a smoother approach to body design would be best, as opposed to huge bubbly looking flares (Eddie Paul style) attached to existing unmodified body or box fender flares, which look like projecting trailer fenders. What not to do is important here.

Another option for thought , which fits into other body inspiration choices I listed, would be splitting door skins off & making entire doorshell wider with new bodyline at upper portion. This with the stock width roof & sailpanel would tie in great to the supercar look..

Another STRONG suggestion here, find TWO of the largest 77' to 79' Trans Am or Firebird models you can. cut parts off one & add to the other. Plastic can be glued or plastic welded with wood burning tool or soldering gun. Then add a soft filler, sand & shape. This will give you a real visual which YOU are in control of.
      https://www.amazon.com/MPC-MPC86206-.../dp/B071FGCFJP

Also keep in mind what not to do.
      Name:  6a660b6b496ed2fec06fb5faaa723af8.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  38.1 KB
      Name:  NewFrontViewMain.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  81.6 KB

You have a lot of real estate to add for yours.

I am having a lot of fun watching this build and it his car so I hope he builds it how he wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by raffshore View Post
      would love to see some pics of this truck
      The guy who built it is named Jason Kable. He has cancer, and this was supposed to be his last build. He built it for his dad.
      It's on IG under "Dadsc10build" and on Diymobileaudio.com under the username "1FinalInstall".
      Super cool guy. Very humble, and super helpful. He was doing alot better last time I saw him, and is planning on building
      a new E46 for himself.

He brought it out to a mutual friends' car audio get together in May. Here's some pics I have of it.

IMG_20190504_125358493_HDR by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20190504_162258124 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20190504_162312794 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20190504_162302197 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20190504_162355677 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

He built the interior and did the audio install.

Sorry for the hijack.

Jay

That interior... WOW!

He's planning to exceed that one with his new E46 BMW build. lol

Any updates on this?? Really hope you move forward with it!
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Last I heard from Dalton, it went in storage to work on a paying build, a f100. He's on facebook & Instagram under Dkustom fab.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com