Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Very cool project! See if the vin starts with 2X...... if so then it is a real 10th Anniversary Trans Am. Some will give you hell about but almost all of them were saved so I wouldn’t sweat it. I once found two in a pick a part on the same day.

I just looked at the vin, it is indeed a 2x. By the time I’m done there will be very little resemblance to a trans am. It’s basically just a shell for the chassis I wanted to design. If that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      Nice build! I have been back and forth with my Blazer about being mid engine and looking at rear transmissions. Didn't even think about using a Subaru transmission. Hmmm wonder if my wife would notice if her transmission was gone. lol

It was about the cheapest option at a transaxle. The only other relatively cheap one would be corvette transaxle. But due to the location of the output shafts it would really affect driver and passenger seating locations. Without extending the rear wheels back even further.

Haha, I think you could get one for under $200 at a junkyard. If you were to an LS in front of it you’re looking at another 1000$ for the adapter kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      How much does your car weigh? I bet that thing rips.

It is going to be mostly open, I will have the bulkhead in front of the engine and I will have a full length belly pan beyond that nothing really. There probably won’t be much inner skin left in the car.
      I havent weighed it yet but my guesstimate is 2200 lbs. 5 lbs per hp is what I was shooting for and I think I'm there. It is a blast for sure. You have a weight goal in mind for yours?

So no firewall between engine and you? If so, it's going to be a hot ride! Even with my insulated engine compartment, it gets super hot inside if you aren't moving. No need for a heater Haha.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I havent weighed it yet but my guesstimate is 2200 lbs. 5 lbs per hp is what I was shooting for and I think I'm there. It is a blast for sure. You have a weight goal in mind for yours?

So no firewall between engine and you? If so, it's going to be a hot ride! Even with my insulated engine compartment, it gets super hot inside if you aren't moving. No need for a heater Haha.
      I hope to be around 2200-2500 but we will see. It’s really going to be a stretch to accomplish that.

There will be a firewall/bulkhead in front of the engine. I am going to use aluminum panels that can be removed so that I can work on the engine. The drivers compartment will be sealed off from the engine bay, I am also going to use some vents to help evacuate the hot air from in the engine compartment.

This is the basic layout for that firewall, gussets and possibly two more tubes may be added.
      Name:  FDA85FCD-6356-4135-8F61-5B9DDE4C8C1B.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  236.0 KB

And here is what I am thinking for a rear window, but will have the shape of the of the c7 corvette rear window. Along with some intake vents along the b pillar (Eleanor style) I’m hoping air will flow through there pretty good.

Name:  F452AEF9-6261-4EE9-99A0-475478C3D949.jpeg
Views: 1453
Size:  78.3 KB

I can't seem to get the video saved in the proper format so I will link it to my page. https://www.instagram.com/p/BvXRo-5g...on_share_sheet

Here is one side completed, Everything is tacked into place. I checked how it went through its motions and I was pretty happy with the result. I Had a pivot point in the wrong point causing the the wheel to lose all camber going up (+) when it should be negative. Now the other side should be cake since I have already designed and cut out all the parts needed.

I have to make some bell cranks for my suspension, I have been trying to figure out what type of bearing to run on the pivot point, I think I found a good needle bearing with a thrust bearing on it. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3080 I am just not sure if I need a perfectly machined surface for the thrust to press against. Does a special type of bolt need to be used other than the obvious Grade 8? If anyone has an experience making or even servicing them, dropping some knowledge would be much appreciated.

I am also going to need to design a wheel mock up gauge that can hold a tire so that I can do all the quarter panel sheet metal work. Or has anyone ever used one that a company sells?

I have a 818R track car let me know if you need additional information.

I second the the WRX 5 speed issues with over 300hp and 300ftlbs The guys with hot rodded Subarus and 818's have issues, 3rd gear mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      I have a 818R track car let me know if you need additional information.
      Have you had any trans issues? Do you happen to have measurements on the front upper spindle bracket? I have gone through their instruction manuals but I couldn’t find and info on the the front spindle.

Country Flag: United States
      Love the concept. A few weeks ago I saw someone comment that the state of art for these old muscle cars has pretty much reached the limit suspension wise. Which struck me as odd I've seen very few transaxle builds let alone mid-engine. A mid-engine build was actually the first thing that popped into mind. Then a few days I saw a good article on the advantages of the mid-engine configuration showed up in my inbox and today your thread pops onto my radar. One question though. You mentioned autocross. How's that going to work with a 84" track width? That's more than 20 inches wider than a stock Camaro and those cones look pretty tight to me.

Here's that article. https://www.corvetteonline.com/featu...gine-corvette/

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
      Love the concept. A few weeks ago I saw someone comment that the state of art for these old muscle cars has pretty much reached the limit suspension wise. Which struck me as odd I've seen very few transaxle builds let alone mid-engine. A mid-engine build was actually the first thing that popped into mind. Then a few days I saw a good article on the advantages of the mid-engine configuration showed up in my inbox and today your thread pops onto my radar. One question though. You mentioned autocross. How's that going to work with a 84" track width? That's more than 20 inches wider than a stock Camaro and those cones look pretty tight to me.

Here's that article. https://www.corvetteonline.com/featu...gine-corvette/
      I haven’t seen to many mod engine conversions either, specifically longitudinally. My thought is with being so much wider is that the mid engine layout will help with turning response. My center over gravity will be very low and my roll center will be pretty close to me cog so it should stay pretty flat. Time attack on a road course is what really interests me most. That article has some really good info and history. I am excited for the new c8. Not that I’ll be able to afford anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      And here is what I am thinking for a rear window, but will have the shape of the of the c7 corvette rear window. Along with some intake vents along the b pillar (Eleanor style) I’m hoping air will flow through there pretty good.
      I like the louver concept. I would not have any rear window, but leave it open.

This is a very interesting build.

look at post #26530 on p1327 of random transportation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Wow, I just checked that out. I’d have to figure how to make something like that. But it would be perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Yup. That's cool.

at least I know people check out the Thread! lol

Name:  Mate-Boer-Retro-Classics-Stuttgart-2019-50-2000x1335.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  133.5 KBName:  post-222-1545187394.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  111.9 KB

TC has some useful stuff in there. Sometimes random turns into hits the nail on the head. I think he checks out our stuff too.

2nd pic would be a much easier to fabricate option.

Subscribed!
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

I’ve been. Little busy the past few weeks so it has taken a while to get things done.

I got all the driver side rear suspension pieces cut out and assembled i have everything tacked in place in case I need to move some things down the road.

This last weekend I kind of got a game plan on what I want to front end to look like. The tape is the easiest way for me to visualize things. Name:  44681E30-282E-4AA5-AF36-EFAF99AE7829.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  196.1 KBName:  79AED349-8E19-4501-B048-B4650FEA981D.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  218.6 KBName:  E55CBE0B-0155-4456-9A40-C3CF4503EE3A.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  254.9 KBName:  43847103-5793-40E2-A542-614A6AF965D8.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  285.1 KB
      Dalton
      1979 Midengine Trans Am. “Transmarrow”
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...gine-LQ9-build

Wow, this is amazing. Can't wait to see more!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com