Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I left 115 degree heat here last August and went to Grissom, IN just North of Indy for a race...it was 85 degrees with 80-90% humidity. I couldn't wait to get out of that nasty humidity and back to my dry heat once again.

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I can never figure out where some of these comments come from, Sky Harbor closed for days because of the heat!
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

I might be wrong about this, but since I've been here, I don't ever recall Sky Harbor closing due to the heat, or even widespread cancellations. Now, there have been cancellations and delays for regional flights on aircraft that aren't approved above a certain temperature, say like 120...but this is extremely rare, and affects only those specific aircraft/flights. I think this happened in 2017 during the record heat. I remember the news made it sound much worse than it was...my mom was schedule to visit from the east coast and was very concerned about getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      I am a little worried about the heat there during the summer being out in the shop trying to work in it for a living.
      I worked as a mechanic in El Paso Tx for years in a shop that was essentially "outdoors". El Paso would be weeks at a time in the 112-116 range, so not much different. First, you are not in the direct sun, so it is better. Second, a fan helps a lot. And third, one shop I worked at had a swamp cooler blowing in through the back door - it was like being on the beach! Swamp coolers are so much healthier for you than refrigerated air.

The dry heat is nice in the sense that sweat evaporates off your body, so you are not sticky hot. And you do acclimate quickly.

It's paradise. Great weather 9-10 months of the year. The other three months you got from your AC house to your AC car to your AC job. Same as going from your heated house to heated car to heated job in the winter in other geographical areas. Flagstaff has four real seasons. Many great destinationsThe scorpions are fun. Get yourself a UV flashlight and a rubber mallet. Every evening after dark, do a sweep of your yard with the light and WHACK - SPLAT! I have been stung by a scorpion. It's annoying, but that's about it. It can affect small children and the elderly. Hiking and sightseeing is exceptional -- especially around Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Flagstaff is a great starting point for trips to Utah and Colorado.

I used to live in Prescott Az for 5 years.. Prescott is the best of both worlds.. Its in between phoenix and flagstaff just west off I17. When 110-115 in Phoenix it's 92-95 or if you want cooler run to flag for the day for 80-85 degrees. This town is surrounded by mountains, several small lakes, has a excellent small town feel to it and the downtown square has activities throughout the year. Car and motorcycle cruises come through this town to get away from the heat. The roads around this town are amazing, Jerome(89A), sedona, flagstaff, pine top, show low, skull valley etc etc.. It's the best of both (phoenix-flagstaff). Also if your a outdoor person they have unlimited activities.

The motorcycle and car culture in Az is one of the best I've seen. People drive year round and they have tons of cruises and shows. Always something happening. Prescott is little over a hour north of phoenix, 1.5 hrs to flagstaff, 1.5 hrs to grand canyon, 4 hrs to vegas and 6 hrs to the coast.

I had to move back to Dallas for Work reasons but will be moving back in the next 2-3 years. I lived in Dallas for 20 plus years and the phoenix heat never bothered me.

For my wife and I we see scorpions on tv and say NO WAY!!!! Here in the Northwest we are kind of spoiled with only a couple poisonous spiders and that's it.
      The car culture seems way awesome there! We are starting to plan a trip there in a couple months to see the area. One question though about Flagstaff. Is it or isn't it meth ridden? I am not sure there would be a good job there for me but do like the pictures I have seen from there but don't want to waste a day going up there if not needed. Don't want to leave one bad area for another

Country Flag: Canada
      You guys are killin' me!
      I walked the dog this afternoon and froze my n@#s off.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

So is there car inspections there and how is the emissions to pass? My wife and I both have modded cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      You guys are killin' me!
      I walked the dog this afternoon and froze my n@#s off.

Ken
      82 degrees this afternoon in Texas. I have two chickens in the smoker...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      So is there car inspections there and how is the emissions to pass? My wife and I both have modded cars.
      Maricopa County (Phoenix area) has emission testing, how deep they dig depends on year of car. My 2002 truck they put on dyno and sniffed it at 35 mph, my 2012 Jeep they just plugged in and looked for check engine light. My 2016 RV didn't need anything. I plan on getting antique tags for the 85 Monte Carlo which means no tests and is allowed because I have classic car insurance on it.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Thank you. Going to have to dig into that a little more.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 68Cuda440 View Post
      82 degrees this afternoon in Texas. I have two chickens in the smoker...
      That's just great. Now I'm late for dinner too. LOL

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckn8 View Post
      I can never figure out where some of these comments come from, Sky Harbor closed for days because of the heat!
      People who have never actually been around AZ when it's hot and hear on the news that it is so hot in AZ that planes can't fly! Because we all know physics quit working once it gets above 120*F. I hate it when the gravity doubles lol.

In all seriousness, some of the comments above are right. One time in the early 90s the airport did close, because the takeoff charts were not complete above about 115*F. They did not know if the runways were long enough for the planes to get enough speed up to get off the ground. I recall that Sky Harbor had to get takeoff charts from Dubai, and they showed the runways at Sky Harbor were long enough. After that, the AZ charts were updated and go well above temperatures it actually reaches there.

When it does get above 120*F, they cancel some small regional flights because the plane models are not certified above that temp. Larger manufacturers like Boeing and Airbus are certified to higher temperatures and are not affected.

Long story short, the airport has closed before, but not anymore except for some flights being cancelled.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

We have the "dry" heat here in the Ca. central valley also, 20+ days over 100f. I think we hit 113 a day or two.
      It sucks, the only thing I do after work is sit in my dark air conditioned house in my boxers, it frkin hot out!

I didn't like the SC. humidity while stationed there, and damn sure didn't like the middle East either.

I guess I'll need two homes when I retire to maintain a nice 72f or so. I did like living in San Diego growing up,but it's still Ca.

I was in Arizona last year when it was 117-119. It is a lot different than being in Stan Co. or anywhere in the California Central Valley during the hot summer days. The California Central Valley has some humidity at least in the double digits when it is well over 100 degrees. It definitely not in the single digits. In Arizona when it is in the 1teens at least it is in the single digits and that makes a difference. For me, I'm moving. I'm tired of the cold and wet weather in Northern California from November through March. I like to be out doors all year round. Yes, it is hot during the summer in Arizona. Just don't stand in the direct sun in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to Arizona.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Sure has been a dreary wet and cold winter in northern CA this year - certainly nothing like San Diego! I'm tired of it too. Ready for spring to get here.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Hell, I have decided that I am not waiting any longer for spring to get to Northern California so I am definitely moving at the end of April to Arizona.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Hell, I have decided that I am not waiting any longer for spring to get to Northern California so I am definitely moving at the end of April to Arizona.
      That must be exciting.
      I'm sure you'll have a nice pool to chill in on those hot days, and no lawn to mow!

I can't wait to re-locate,someplace...

It's absolutely perfect now. It does get a bit warm in the summer time of course, but it's definitely manageable. For most, it's going from A/C'd building to building in your A/C'd car. For garage work, I just got into a new house with a fully insulated and A/C'd garage, so hopefully I can work comfortably in the summer now too.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com