Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1st gen Fbody maximum rear track width?

I have searched quite a bit and am a little surprised it doesnt appear this has been asked before. I am trying to determine, what is the maximum overall width (measured from outside tire surface to out side tire surface) that can be fit under a 1st gen (1967-68, preferably) fbody with stock quarter panels, no flares, etc.?

I understand this isnt the actual track width. I will be mocking up my rear setup soon and rather than just eyeballing it when I set the tires in place, I'd like to have a dimension to work from (or atleast start with).

Any info would be greatly apprrciated. For reference i am planning to run 295/35/18 or 305/30/18 rear tires with and irs.

My Heidts IRS has a 60” track width in the rear this is posted on heidts website. My car is minitubbed and I have 325 tires in the rear. For my front end, I have a chassisworks frame and I believe their track width is 58”they have this posted on their website. I have 275 tires in the front with stock inner fenders. If you are building your own frame front to back, Heidts uses a track width of 60” front and back. Again this is all on their website. I believe chassiworks uses a track width of 58” again please double check on their website.

I’m not sure if track width is the actual tire to tire dimension. I can take some measurements for you later today

Country Flag: United States
      Stock wms (wheel mount surface) width is 60 inches. Widest you can go on a 69 is a 275 tire on a 10 inch wheel with 5.75 inches of backspacing with a little wheel lip trimming. Little less on a 67-68 depending on ride height.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Stock wms (wheel mount surface) width is 60 inches. Widest you can go on a 69 is a 275 tire on a 10 inch wheel with 5.75 inches of backspacing with a little wheel lip trimming. Little less on a 67-68 depending on ride height.

Don
      This calculator will get you to tire to tire width

https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have a 4th gen rear in my 2nd gen, so track width is 61.75". Stock 2nd gen is 61.25"
      This ended up working out better for the wheels I am running which are not custom so bs options are limited - I am using a 6" bs on a 10" wheel, they also have a 11" wheel with same backspace I may move to in the future. Currently I am running a 295 tire but may want to go to a 315. I couldn't find many 305 tires - even 295 is pretty limited, where 315 is a lot more available.
      I plan to order a 9" in this same width when I get to that point. For now I'm assuming the tire is my fuse! We'll see how long that lasts with 520hp...
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
      When I do the math on this it comes out to a distance of approximately 69.327in. Thats for a 1969 with a little bit of trimming. If we're being conservative, let's round that down to about 68 - 68.5inches for a 67 fbody. I'd be curious to hear from other owners out there. If you take a tape and measure the distance from outside of tire to outside of tire, what measurement do you come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by maro67 View Post
      I have searched quite a bit and am a little surprised it doesnt appear this has been asked before. I am trying to determine, what is the maximum overall width (measured from outside tire surface to out side tire surface) that can be fit under a 1st gen (1967-68, preferably) fbody with stock quarter panels, no flares, etc.?

I understand this isnt the actual track width. I will be mocking up my rear setup soon and rather than just eyeballing it when I set the tires in place, I'd like to have a dimension to work from (or atleast start with).

Any info would be greatly apprrciated. For reference i am planning to run 295/35/18 or 305/30/18 rear tires with and irs.

I went and measured my 68 Camaro for you...it's mini tubbed with stock quarters and the fender lips have NOT been rolled. I'm running a 315/30-18 BFG Rival on Forgeline 18x11 with 5" BS so tire sidewall bulge is minimal (maybe 1/4"). Using a straight-edge against the tire, the total width from outside/outside is 69 7/8" ....hope this helps!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Thank you Gmachine1911. That is exactly the info I was after and is a big help.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com