Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wide front tires ?????

Question: are there any issues with having wide front tires( 12” wide)

I’m building a 68 Camaro and utilizing fender flares I bought from Mr Vengeance on this forum. I thought 10” was going to be wide enough but looks like 18x12 is what I really need on the front in order to keep from having to use spacers.

Are there any drivability issues with that wide of a tire up front.

At this point I think I’m going to use the same wheel/tire setup on front and back. This will actually allow me to rotate my tires which could come in handy.

I’m hoping the general response is the more rubber on the road the better but I figured I’d ask the question and see what you guys think.

Thanks
      James

I've had a few cars with 315's all around on 11" wheels. You get a lot of tramlining on the highway with that set-up. It's not ideal for a street car IMHO.
      I really prefer a 275 front tire as a max width.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I have never had REALLY wide fronts but I agree that the wider I go the more tramlining I get.

Country Flag: United States
      I have 275's up front on my '68. Even with my aftermarket subframe and suspension mods, I couldn't do any wider without hitting the frame. I realize you have flares, but I not sure how they are modded on. Your best bet that takes all the guessing out is to buy a Wheel Fit tool. They are expensive, but it will allow you to borrow a tire and mount it on this tool that acts as a wheel simulator. You can change backspacing and turn the wheels with the tire on to see where you will be hitting the fender or frame. Best money I ever spent!
      As for driveability, It is amazing! Only issue I have is the turning radius which isn't really all that big a deal. I had to add one spacer on either side of my rack and pinion to limit the steering to keep the tire from rubbing the frame. I do have tubular a-arms and coilovers up front as well so that will add to the nicer ride. Have no tracking at all on the highway - actually rides better than my 2018 Silverado lol

Here is a link:
      https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel...iABEgLqGPD_BwE
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com