Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Adjustable Coilover for daily driver

Hello all,

I've recently rebuilt my 1978 Caprice coupe with an LS Swap. Quite a few years ago my stock springs needed replacing and I tried to replace them with stock 1996 Impala SS springs (that car has the same frame/suspension as my car). There weren't replacement springs available so I tried my best to find some with the same spring rates and size, but I didn't do a very good job. I really need to replace the rear springs. They are too short and fall out if I jack the car up, the ride is way too firm, when I go over bumps in a curve the car kind of bounces off the road.

This car is a daily driver, and though I like taking curvy roads from time to time, it probably won't ever be autocrossed. I am looking at replacing the rear springs and shocks with a coilover setup from QA1, but I am very ignorant of proper suspension setup. I would really like to have something with adjustable ride height so I can dial in the stance I want. I've had this car for 22 years, most of that time as a daily driver. Would coil-overs work for a daily driver? What kind of ride quality could I expect from a single adjustable coilover? Will they wear out quickly? They are pretty expensive, so I don't want to have to spend that much money every time I need to replace the shocks. For now I'm just looking to replace the rear, and I will move on to the front later. I'm not opposed to keeping the springs and shock separate as stock, but I still want to find a way to have adjustable ride height so I can dial in the look I want.

I would appreciate this forums opinions and knowledge.

I have a build thread on a blog here: www.aprilmays37.blogspot.com, or in a dedicated thread in a forum here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...5-3-4l60e.html

Thanks,
      Brandon
      1937 Chevrolet: 5.3 LS, 4L60E, Ford 8.8. http://www.AprilMays37.blogspot.com

Anyone at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
      Hello all,

I've recently rebuilt my 1978 Caprice coupe with an LS Swap. Quite a few years ago my stock springs needed replacing and I tried to replace them with stock 1996 Impala SS springs (that car has the same frame/suspension as my car). There weren't replacement springs available so I tried my best to find some with the same spring rates and size, but I didn't do a very good job. I really need to replace the rear springs. They are too short and fall out if I jack the car up, the ride is way too firm, when I go over bumps in a curve the car kind of bounces off the road.

This car is a daily driver, and though I like taking curvy roads from time to time, it probably won't ever be autocrossed. I am looking at replacing the rear springs and shocks with a coilover setup from QA1, but I am very ignorant of proper suspension setup. I would really like to have something with adjustable ride height so I can dial in the stance I want. I've had this car for 22 years, most of that time as a daily driver. Would coil-overs work for a daily driver? What kind of ride quality could I expect from a single adjustable coilover? Will they wear out quickly? They are pretty expensive, so I don't want to have to spend that much money every time I need to replace the shocks. For now I'm just looking to replace the rear, and I will move on to the front later. I'm not opposed to keeping the springs and shock separate as stock, but I still want to find a way to have adjustable ride height so I can dial in the look I want.

I would appreciate this forums opinions and knowledge.

I have a build thread on a blog here: www.aprilmays37.blogspot.com, or in a dedicated thread in a forum here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...5-3-4l60e.html

Thanks,
      Brandon
      Would coil-overs work for a daily driver? YES. I'm curious to know why you would think otherwise?
      What kind of ride quality could I expect from a single adjustable coilover? Stiffer springs decrease ride quality. So that is a factor as well. But any adjustable coilover should not make the ride quality worse.
      Will they wear out quickly? Definitely not.... Their construction is a shock, and a spring. Same as what you have, just with threads and different sizes.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Give ridetech a call as they have 1000001 mile warranty and are some of the best around in ride quality and performance.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Brandon,

Have you tried looking at the Moog catalog?

https://www.moogparts.com/find-my-pa...vrolet~Caprice

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I do not think that coil-overs [I]wouldn't[I][I] work for a daily driver, I just don't know if they would, because I have very limited knowledge of the practical uses of suspension components, and it can be difficult to know what is true when you try to read articles and forum posts online because they are often subjective and also many articles are sponsored, which presents a conflict of interest. I'm just trying to learn what is correct and true.

Part of my issues is that I'm not sure exactly what direction to go. I know my car now is almost dangerous. I took it on some decent backroads last week and it has a tendency to actually just bounce off the road when it encounters bumps in a turn. I don't track the car so I'm not looking for a competitive rally cross car, but I'd like something that would handle better than the stock 1978 Caprice. As it is now, my ride quality, in my opinion, is poor. Also, my springs are too short and fall out when I jacked the car up. My ride height is pretty good right now, but it's not perfect, and since I don't know exactly where I'd like the car to sit, I'd like some adjustability in ride height so I can get the look I want without ordering 3 sets of incorrect springs. I have a friend with some scale pads, so it is possible for me to weight the car at each corner.

Why wouldn't you call Eaton Detroit Spring? They have been an OEM manufacturer for years I believe!
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Reckn8 View Post
      Why wouldn't you call Eaton Detroit Spring? They have been an OEM manufacturer for years I believe!
      Either moog or eaton are good choices. For what the OP is doing, there is no need for coilovers. Save your money!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Adjustable Coilover for daily driver

Well. I’m not sure you want oem spec 1978 Chevrolet

But there are several sources for good spring / shock packages for those cars from companies like hotchkis / GW / ride tech / etc
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
      Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I do not think that coil-overs [I]wouldn't[I][I] work for a daily driver, I just don't know if they would, because I have very limited knowledge of the practical uses of suspension components, and it can be difficult to know what is true when you try to read articles and forum posts online because they are often subjective and also many articles are sponsored, which presents a conflict of interest. I'm just trying to learn what is correct and true.

Part of my issues is that I'm not sure exactly what direction to go. I know my car now is almost dangerous. I took it on some decent backroads last week and it has a tendency to actually just bounce off the road when it encounters bumps in a turn. I don't track the car so I'm not looking for a competitive rally cross car, but I'd like something that would handle better than the stock 1978 Caprice. As it is now, my ride quality, in my opinion, is poor. Also, my springs are too short and fall out when I jacked the car up. My ride height is pretty good right now, but it's not perfect, and since I don't know exactly where I'd like the car to sit, I'd like some adjustability in ride height so I can get the look I want without ordering 3 sets of incorrect springs. I have a friend with some scale pads, so it is possible for me to weight the car at each corner.
      Look at the different spring rates listed on Rockauto. If you just want a little better control than stock without spending much money get the stiffest springs listed and some polyurethane bushings for your swaybar(s). Also compare part numbers and specs with '95 Caprice SS springs you have.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+spring,7512

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com