Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Adjustable Coilover for daily driver

Hello all,

I've recently rebuilt my 1978 Caprice coupe with an LS Swap. Quite a few years ago my stock springs needed replacing and I tried to replace them with stock 1996 Impala SS springs (that car has the same frame/suspension as my car). There weren't replacement springs available so I tried my best to find some with the same spring rates and size, but I didn't do a very good job. I really need to replace the rear springs. They are too short and fall out if I jack the car up, the ride is way too firm, when I go over bumps in a curve the car kind of bounces off the road.

This car is a daily driver, and though I like taking curvy roads from time to time, it probably won't ever be autocrossed. I am looking at replacing the rear springs and shocks with a coilover setup from QA1, but I am very ignorant of proper suspension setup. I would really like to have something with adjustable ride height so I can dial in the stance I want. I've had this car for 22 years, most of that time as a daily driver. Would coil-overs work for a daily driver? What kind of ride quality could I expect from a single adjustable coilover? Will they wear out quickly? They are pretty expensive, so I don't want to have to spend that much money every time I need to replace the shocks. For now I'm just looking to replace the rear, and I will move on to the front later. I'm not opposed to keeping the springs and shock separate as stock, but I still want to find a way to have adjustable ride height so I can dial in the look I want.

I would appreciate this forums opinions and knowledge.

I have a build thread on a blog here: www.aprilmays37.blogspot.com, or in a dedicated thread in a forum here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...5-3-4l60e.html

Thanks,
      Brandon
      1937 Chevrolet: 5.3 LS, 4L60E, Ford 8.8. http://www.AprilMays37.blogspot.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com