• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: Australia
      Name:  E2495991-EE8F-4ABE-9307-7053E7BF90C8.jpeg
Views: 1664
Size:  323.1 KBName:  52CD4CBD-2E90-455B-B174-C2422E4A6BAC.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  135.1 KBI liked the free headlights so much I made my own buckets and installed them as my indicators and spotlights.

That turned out really well, great job.

Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer11 View Post
      That turned out really well, great job.
      Thanks

I am definitely interested to see how you get rid of the dash lights.
      I am in the planning stages of doing something similar on a firebird... I just need a car lol.
      I want to move the fusebox somewhere less noticeable though.

Country Flag: United States
      The dash lights are just a matter of removing certain features from the ecm program. I plan to retain the abs, srs, wheel sensors and all modules. Just need to remove the mag ride, evap and electric power steering. Relocating the main fuse block would require a monumental amount of rewiring.... literally everything runs through that thing lol

I am aware, but I can't handle it [fusebox] right next to the motor. I am thinking about maybe turning it on its side and putting it under the passenger side quarter right by the firewall so I can access it, I will only have to move the engine bay wires (hopefully), I am also going to move the ABS pump to below the master cylinder on the drivers side.

I am already going to open up the engine harness and remove everything I don't need and clean that up, it won't be the first time I do that. I will also move the ECU into the car, probably somewhere on the trans tunnel under the dash, or on top of the glove box.
      I am undecided if I will try to tackle a custom dash or go with a stock look, but put the Camaro gauges into the dash somehow, or a race dash.
      I will not be using the air bags, SRS, OnStar, or XM so that's not a big deal, just a basic radio with Bluetooth.

That sounds like a solid plan...I understand that all these things are not visually pleasing lol The whole theme of my build is for it to look like it rolled off the assembly line this way...no bling, oem fasteners and components. Basically if GM decided to build a 69 Camaro again it would look like this one.

I can get behind that, that’s the best thing about these builds, everyone has a different vision!

It sounds like the best option for you is to go with one of GM's connect n cruise standalone harness and ECM. It has none of the Ugly components you are trying to hide. Run a Dakota digital cluster in your dash and you can save a ton of unnecessary work trying to pretty up an OE harness. Unless you plan on running the fifth gen dash I would not bother with the OE harness and ECM.

I do t think connect and cruise supports ABS.

ABS is not as simple as it seems...the wheel sensors are what I am having issues with. I cannot find a solid rear axle assembly that will work and support wheel sensors. That is the main reason I am going with the AME IRS because it uses ZL1 spindles that support the proper wheel sensors. The down side is they are very expensive at 13k for the bare IRS assembly. I would do a 4 link if I could locate a wheel sensor option that would be compatible.

I will be using C5 IRS.

Just dropped into this build...super cool! A ton of work for sure, but you are doing a great job combining the old with the new.
      Used to be known as classiccamaro

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      ABS is not as simple as it seems...the wheel sensors are what I am having issues with. I cannot find a solid rear axle assembly that will work and support wheel sensors. That is the main reason I am going with the AME IRS because it uses ZL1 spindles that support the proper wheel sensors. The down side is they are very expensive at 13k for the bare IRS assembly. I would do a 4 link if I could locate a wheel sensor option that would be compatible.
      Not sure about what sort of bracket the ZL1 uses for the brakes as compared to the corvettes (looks similar to the C7 mounting points), but it looks like this could work if you swap out the spindles for the ZL1.
      https://millerbuiltusa.com/universal-weld-on-base-kit/

Also what sort of method did you use to weld the new tabs for the brakes to the C6 spindle (MIG/TIG and filler material)? I'm looking at doing something similar w/ a C6 knuckle to accept C7 brakes.

Nothing special...I use a TIG welder and aluminum filler rod on high frequency AC. Liquid cooled torch. The Corvette and Camaro brakes are very different which is frustrating...why do they need to be different?!?!

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Amazing build Snowcatter, very inspiring!

Haven't touched her all summer except to fire it up every couple weeks. Been stuck inside from all the heavy smoke from the california fires so decided to get back after this thing. Built a pair of custom fender braces, installing the TMI headliner, modifying the spindles for the big Brembo Calipers up front, AC lines routing and some wiring and working on forcing the repop sheet metal to fit right lol I like to bounce around....Name:  IMG_20200912_113653056.jpeg
Views: 889
Size:  114.6 KBName:  2562~2.jpeg
Views: 866
Size:  85.5 KBName:  IMG_20200920_155559312.jpeg
Views: 882
Size:  120.6 KBName:  IMG_20200920_160150679.jpeg
Views: 892
Size:  50.6 KB

Headliner action

Name:  IMG_20200921_160337800.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  318.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_20200921_160402762.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  418.6 KB

So when I got new sunvisor mounts they come in nice shiny chrome....blah! Plan was to paint them black, so I went out to the shop and bead blasted them to prep for paint then realized bead blasting gave them a nice satin look that almost perfectly matches the grey accents on the dash so I decided to leave them satin

Hood latch is finally done and working properly...this gets me the hood open warning and remote hood release.Name:  IMG_20200923_161608752.jpeg
Views: 799
Size:  97.1 KBName:  IMG_20200923_161612855.jpeg
Views: 794
Size:  50.7 KB

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com