Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Power Steering Rack for 3rd gen Nova/1st Gen Camaro

Does anybody know of a good donor for a power steering rack for a 3rd gen Nova/1st Gen Camaro?

I have relocated the engine up and back and therefore have lots of room for a rack. I am looking for a rear-steer rack with the right width that I can adapt. I am not looking for a bolt-in kit. I will need to locate the rack higher than most kits because I have raised the pivots of the lower control arms in the crossmember.

I used this one for a custom project on a 1969 Camaro subframe

Name:  20180508_192703 (2).jpg
Views: 383
Size:  207.3 KB

Why not simply have Lee Performance build you a stock style box rather than do lots of major reconstruction. Just asking? They have probably the best feeling/handling box around.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      Why not simply have Lee Performance build you a stock style box rather than do lots of major reconstruction. Just asking? They have probably the best feeling/handling box around.
      I like the tighter feeling and light weight of a rack. Since I relocated the engine, I have more room than I know what to do with.

Everything on this car is so heavily modified, installing the rack will be a cake walk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      I used this one for a custom project on a 1969 Camaro subframe.
      Thanks Rod!

Similiar situation in my 68 camaro vert except I could use a stock type install-I'm hunting to see the best steering because the motor support will sling across
      where the box and idler arm were and no problem installing a Unisteer or flameriver unit but hear too many negatives using a RP in a stock frame. As one tech put it there is 'compression'
      ​​​​​​​on the linkage in a rear steer but only tension on a front steer. My LS1 out of 04 GTO can keep the front oil pan, alternator and all accessories since the motor/trans sits about 8"
      rearward if I can setup front steering.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com