Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS3 416 or built ls3 for boost?

Pulling my LS3 going she’s to Kevin Pranger form KATECH. Undecided weather to have a 416 stroked LS3 built or do an LS3 heads cam and setup for FI setup. For those with a 416 pros/cons?
      I know FI will yield me more RWHP but I like the torque of the 416. The cost of FI will probably be more money in the long run as well.

Country Flag: United States
      I would opt for the FI setup, if it were me. Both good options though.

What is your HP target and usage? We have both and depending on application one may be more appealing.
      1. 1st gen Camaro with NA LS3; 530RWHP (pump gas). Super fun and balanced car with plenty power to turn a tire at will. Still not so much power that it is still comfortable on a street tire;
      2. 6th gen Camaro ZL1 with 900+RWHP (E85). Crazy fast, but will get you in tons of trouble with street tires on the back. Also expensive to maintain and passes everything but a gas station;
      3. 4th gen Firebird single turbo 408 1300+RWHP (E85). This car will always have a slick on the rear and pretty much a drag-n-drive/track car.

I’m looking for something with 550-600 RWHP. Car is just a street car, no track time etc…….

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      What is your HP target and usage? We have both and depending on application one may be more appealing.
      1. 1st gen Camaro with NA LS3; 530RWHP (pump gas). Super fun and balanced car with plenty power to turn a tire at will. Still not so much power that it is still comfortable on a street tire;
      2. 6th gen Camaro ZL1 with 900+RWHP (E85). Crazy fast, but will get you in tons of trouble with street tires on the back. Also expensive to maintain and passes everything but a gas station;
      3. 4th gen Firebird single turbo 408 1300+RWHP (E85). This car will always have a slick on the rear and pretty much a drag-n-drive/track car.
      What did you do to get an LS3 to produce 530RWHP. Is this a stroked block?

Still a few variables unmentioned, such as expected mileage, chassis and proposed FI method, to give an overall recommendation but here are some thinking points from what has been mentioned.

Built LS3 with FI can make 550-600whp easily and still be very dependable. With a positive displacement unit, it could make more low-mid torque than a NA 416. Centrifugals and turbos tend to have a more linear power curve. Cam profiles on both would help shape that torque curve. FI setup would considerably add to the overall cost of the build. The LS3/FI setup may be better on fuel in idle and cruise due to the smaller displacement.

NA 416 can also dependably make 600whp but the torque may be shifted a little higher in the rpm range. Although gen4 blocks are better for the longer stoke cranks, there is still increased side loading that can oval the cylinders over time. This would only be a concern if it is a high mileage application like a daily driver. The cost difference on the engine build over a H/C LS3 built for boost would just be the crank cost.

A NA LS3 could be built to make low-mid 500whp but the required cam would shift the power band above the '416 torque range' mentioned. An increase in compression would also be required which may or may not be pump gas friendly in your area.

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Stock LS3 short block with filed rings. TSP stage 4 cam and associated valvetrain. FED Stage 2 ported LS3 heads with upgraded valves, springs, retainers, etc. FAST 102 intake and throttle body. stainless works 1.75 headers and full 3" exhaust. MS3, LS3 injectors on 93 gas. Drivetrain is T56 Magnum with Ford 9" rear.

number was done on a Mustang Dyno known to be very stingy; tuned by CompJLT locally

Quote Originally Posted by bski224 View Post
      What did you do to get an LS3 to produce 530RWHP. Is this a stroked block?

Thank you all for responses! Going with the FI LS3 setup

Setting up a 376/480 with She Gone cam and lsa is a simple easy way to go that will give great power. Talk to Matt at dedicated motorsports, he is running many stock bottom LS3 with this combo in the 800 range living long time.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com