Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register



    Results 1 to 19 of 19
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Sydney Australia
      Posts
      4
      Country Flag: Australia

      Wipple or Magnuson

      Hi Guys,
      I am in the process of putting together a 69 Gto and am doing an LS3 swap with a blower. question any preference between a Whipple or a Magnuson?

      just looking for opinions

      thanks in advance

      Mark

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Woodstock, IL
      Posts
      2,411
      Country Flag: United States
      Are you considering the Whipple 2.9 vs Magnuson 2.3?
      Or another size?

      In my opinion, choosing blowers is like choosing oil. They will have minimal differences.

      However, if you're keeping the LS3 stock and throwing a blower on it, I'd go the Mag 2.3L as you don't really need 2.9L.
      If you're building a higher hp monster, then stepping up to a 2.9L may be the way to go.

      Consider the serpentine drive system options as well. Wegner & Concept One make them for various blowers.

      -Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

      Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Sydney Australia
      Posts
      4
      Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      Are you considering the Whipple 2.9 vs Magnuson 2.3?
      Or another size?

      In my opinion, choosing blowers is like choosing oil. They will have minimal differences.

      However, if you're keeping the LS3 stock and throwing a blower on it, I'd go the Mag 2.3L as you don't really need 2.9L.
      If you're building a higher hp monster, then stepping up to a 2.9L may be the way to go.

      Consider the serpentine drive system options as well. Wegner & Concept One make them for various blowers.

      -Dale

      Hi Dale
      thanks for you imput

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Posts
      29
      Country Flag: Canada
      What are your goals? Both options can do over 800rwhp.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      146
      Country Flag: United States
      You should also consider the new Magnuson R2650 if your are aiming for higher horsepower goals. That said if you aren’t really looking for more than 650-700rwhp then you might also consider the LSA supercharger for a substantial savings.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Sydney Australia
      Posts
      4
      Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave95Z28 View Post
      You should also consider the new Magnuson R2650 if your are aiming for higher horsepower goals. That said if you arenít really looking for more than 650-700rwhp then you might also consider the LSA supercharger for a substantial savings.
      Hi Dave,
      We are looking for around 800 rwhp and ill take a look at the R2650

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Marietta, GA
      Posts
      53
      Country Flag: United States
      I am very happy with my 2.9L whipple on the LS3. Great drivability, low power loss when not in boost, and room to turn it up more at a later date if you want. It is a really clean package. I am running about 12lbs currently.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Posts
      101
      Country Flag: Canada
      Iím considering a Whipple upgrade and have been researching the different Superchargers and have decided to go whipple. The reason is the ability to support around 1000 plus horsepower and run up to 12 psi boost using Whipple pulleys. I like knowing that a very expensive upgrade can grow as the engine develops over time.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Golden Valley AZ
      Posts
      77
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by GS455vert View Post
      Iím considering a Whipple upgrade and have been researching the different Superchargers and have decided to go whipple. The reason is the ability to support around 1000 plus horsepower and run up to 12 psi boost using Whipple pulleys. I like knowing that a very expensive upgrade can grow as the engine develops over time.
      This is good to know, as I have thrown the twin turbo idea out the window on my 69 Camaro build and I am also looking at the 2.9 Whipple instead. I'll be running a 6.0L in mine. Looking for around 700 to 800HP
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      Heidts Pro G IRS w/ 3:90 gear, Heidts Pro G front
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT
      6 speed or 4L80E, that is the question..hmmm
      Future plans for full TMI interior

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      nw phx
      Posts
      141
      i have had way better customer service with magnuson.
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      212
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Rodknock View Post
      This is good to know, as I have thrown the twin turbo idea out the window on my 69 Camaro build and I am also looking at the 2.9 Whipple instead. I'll be running a 6.0L in mine. Looking for around 700 to 800HP
      Will a Whipple fit under your hood? I was considering an Eforce system on an LT build for my 69 Camaro due to the low profile, it should fit without cutting up the hood.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Golden Valley AZ
      Posts
      77
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Will a Whipple fit under your hood? I was considering an Eforce system on an LT build for my 69 Camaro due to the low profile, it should fit without cutting up the hood.
      I actually don't know for sure. I have a 4" AMD cowl hood. It might require some trimming of the inside, but I don't know for sure.
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      Heidts Pro G IRS w/ 3:90 gear, Heidts Pro G front
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT
      6 speed or 4L80E, that is the question..hmmm
      Future plans for full TMI interior

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      Ive seen Magnusson heartbeat lids fail on max effort deals. I also dont like how poor magnusons delivery times are. They pump a product online, such as the 2650 and it took what 2 years for the first average joe to see one? The TVS2300 with a cog drive rear belt has proven to be a great, reliable performer. Standard rear belt is fine if its not pullied aggressively.

      The whipples have always been reliable, but are typically harder to package. Taller, Some are rear snout throttle body, blower pulley centered as opposed to side shaft on some Magnuson models.

      I dont think you can go wrong either route.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      dallas, tx
      Posts
      1,715
      Country Flag: United States
      What kid failure did you see with the heartbeat blower? I love mine. Ordered and had it within a week

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      What kid failure did you see with the heartbeat blower? I love mine. Ordered and had it within a week
      max effort deal, pullied it hard and split the lid, one was a nitrous backfire. Its a weakness of lid type blowers.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      262
      Quote Originally Posted by r67nova View Post
      I am very happy with my 2.9L whipple on the LS3. Great drivability, low power loss when not in boost, and room to turn it up more at a later date if you want. It is a really clean package. I am running about 12lbs currently.

      Did you change any of the internals? Thinking of putting the same blower in my car right now and trying to figure out what else I may need to look at. My motor already has the GMPP Hot Cam in it, but thinking I may need to look at heads, cam and obviously injectors and more than likely a fuel pump upgrade.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      56
      Quote Originally Posted by Rodknock View Post
      This is good to know, as I have thrown the twin turbo idea out the window on my 69 Camaro build and I am also looking at the 2.9 Whipple instead. I'll be running a 6.0L in mine. Looking for around 700 to 800HP
      Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Will a Whipple fit under your hood? I was considering an Eforce system on an LT build for my 69 Camaro due to the low profile, it should fit without cutting up the hood.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rodknock View Post
      I actually don't know for sure. I have a 4" AMD cowl hood. It might require some trimming of the inside, but I don't know for sure.

      John, the Whipple 2.9L will fit under the 2" cowl hood just fine. I have a Whipple 4.0L and had to slightly modify a 2" cowl hood. So, the 2.9L is smaller in size and will fit no problem. You can barely tell my hood was modified too. Last pic is really dirty, but you get the idea.






      Used to be known as 509chevelle

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Golden Valley AZ
      Posts
      77
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the info, that is a great looking car!!!!
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      Heidts Pro G IRS w/ 3:90 gear, Heidts Pro G front
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT
      6 speed or 4L80E, that is the question..hmmm
      Future plans for full TMI interior

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Oct 2021
      Posts
      16
      I'm trying to put a magnuson tvs2650 under a 1970 Nova 2" cowl. Anyone know if this should fit?