Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Australia

Wipple or Magnuson

Hi Guys,
      I am in the process of putting together a 69 Gto and am doing an LS3 swap with a blower. question any preference between a Whipple or a Magnuson?

just looking for opinions

thanks in advance

Mark

Country Flag: United States
      Are you considering the Whipple 2.9 vs Magnuson 2.3?
      Or another size?

In my opinion, choosing blowers is like choosing oil. They will have minimal differences.

However, if you're keeping the LS3 stock and throwing a blower on it, I'd go the Mag 2.3L as you don't really need 2.9L.
      If you're building a higher hp monster, then stepping up to a 2.9L may be the way to go.

Consider the serpentine drive system options as well. Wegner & Concept One make them for various blowers.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      Are you considering the Whipple 2.9 vs Magnuson 2.3?
      Or another size?

In my opinion, choosing blowers is like choosing oil. They will have minimal differences.

However, if you're keeping the LS3 stock and throwing a blower on it, I'd go the Mag 2.3L as you don't really need 2.9L.
      If you're building a higher hp monster, then stepping up to a 2.9L may be the way to go.

Consider the serpentine drive system options as well. Wegner & Concept One make them for various blowers.

-Dale

Hi Dale
      thanks for you imput

Country Flag: Canada
      What are your goals? Both options can do over 800rwhp.

You should also consider the new Magnuson R2650 if your are aiming for higher horsepower goals. That said if you aren’t really looking for more than 650-700rwhp then you might also consider the LSA supercharger for a substantial savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave95Z28 View Post
      You should also consider the new Magnuson R2650 if your are aiming for higher horsepower goals. That said if you aren’t really looking for more than 650-700rwhp then you might also consider the LSA supercharger for a substantial savings.
      Hi Dave,
      We are looking for around 800 rwhp and ill take a look at the R2650

I am very happy with my 2.9L whipple on the LS3. Great drivability, low power loss when not in boost, and room to turn it up more at a later date if you want. It is a really clean package. I am running about 12lbs currently.

I’m considering a Whipple upgrade and have been researching the different Superchargers and have decided to go whipple. The reason is the ability to support around 1000 plus horsepower and run up to 12 psi boost using Whipple pulleys. I like knowing that a very expensive upgrade can grow as the engine develops over time.

Quote Originally Posted by GS455vert View Post
      I’m considering a Whipple upgrade and have been researching the different Superchargers and have decided to go whipple. The reason is the ability to support around 1000 plus horsepower and run up to 12 psi boost using Whipple pulleys. I like knowing that a very expensive upgrade can grow as the engine develops over time.
      This is good to know, as I have thrown the twin turbo idea out the window on my 69 Camaro build and I am also looking at the 2.9 Whipple instead. I'll be running a 6.0L in mine. Looking for around 700 to 800HP
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      Heidts Pro G IRS w/ 3:90 gear, Heidts Pro G front
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT
      6 speed or 4L80E, that is the question..hmmm
      Future plans for full TMI interior

i have had way better customer service with magnuson.

...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by Rodknock View Post
      This is good to know, as I have thrown the twin turbo idea out the window on my 69 Camaro build and I am also looking at the 2.9 Whipple instead. I'll be running a 6.0L in mine. Looking for around 700 to 800HP
      Will a Whipple fit under your hood? I was considering an Eforce system on an LT build for my 69 Camaro due to the low profile, it should fit without cutting up the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Will a Whipple fit under your hood? I was considering an Eforce system on an LT build for my 69 Camaro due to the low profile, it should fit without cutting up the hood.
      I actually don't know for sure. I have a 4" AMD cowl hood. It might require some trimming of the inside, but I don't know for sure.
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT

Ive seen Magnusson heartbeat lids fail on max effort deals. I also dont like how poor magnusons delivery times are. They pump a product online, such as the 2650 and it took what 2 years for the first average joe to see one? The TVS2300 with a cog drive rear belt has proven to be a great, reliable performer. Standard rear belt is fine if its not pullied aggressively.

The whipples have always been reliable, but are typically harder to package. Taller, Some are rear snout throttle body, blower pulley centered as opposed to side shaft on some Magnuson models.

I dont think you can go wrong either route.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

What kid failure did you see with the heartbeat blower? I love mine. Ordered and had it within a week

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      What kid failure did you see with the heartbeat blower? I love mine. Ordered and had it within a week
      max effort deal, pullied it hard and split the lid, one was a nitrous backfire. Its a weakness of lid type blowers.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by r67nova View Post
      I am very happy with my 2.9L whipple on the LS3. Great drivability, low power loss when not in boost, and room to turn it up more at a later date if you want. It is a really clean package. I am running about 12lbs currently.

Did you change any of the internals? Thinking of putting the same blower in my car right now and trying to figure out what else I may need to look at. My motor already has the GMPP Hot Cam in it, but thinking I may need to look at heads, cam and obviously injectors and more than likely a fuel pump upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      I actually don't know for sure. I have a 4" AMD cowl hood. It might require some trimming of the inside, but I don't know for sure.

John, the Whipple 2.9L will fit under the 2" cowl hood just fine. I have a Whipple 4.0L and had to slightly modify a 2" cowl hood. So, the 2.9L is smaller in size and will fit no problem. You can barely tell my hood was modified too. Last pic is really dirty, but you get the idea.

Used to be known as 509chevelle

Thanks for the info, that is a great looking car!!!!
      John Rodko
      69 RS/SS Camaro.
      6.0L LQ4 to be TT

I'm trying to put a magnuson tvs2650 under a 1970 Nova 2" cowl. Anyone know if this should fit?

What do you guys think for a stock LS7 block down. Meaning rotating assembly and all is stock with cam, ported heads. Entertaining a supercharger. What can the LS7 safely hold with stock internals?
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com