Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wow everything I click on is way over my budget! What can I get for $25k-$30k?

I see we have a bunch of really high end, mostly Camaro builds here. I wish everyone would put their asking prices on their title/headline so I know whether to bother clicking on it or not lol! I pretty much love all old school Muscle Cars, but they’ve always been outa my reach. I’ve been a Foxbody nut my whole life, but now is the time to move on. I’m so sick of all the California BS we have for smog and now the “loud exhaust” law just kills it for me and Foxbodies... Anyway, just wondering what’s out there for $25k-$30k.

Where u located?

Country Flag: United States
      I don't have any affiliation with this place, but they have a wide variety of cars with good prices for a dealer: http://www.maplemotors.com/cars.php
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 232_ray View Post
      Where u located?
      NorCal, near Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      I don't have any affiliation with this place, but they have a wide variety of cars with good prices for a dealer: http://www.maplemotors.com/cars.php
      Thanks for the link! Does have some good prices there

Not sure exactly what you would like, but....... I wanted a 67-68 Camaro to replace the one I wish I had kept. The first gen camaro are very popular, so the prices are astronomical at time. I branched my search out to see what else I could find that would push the same buttons for me at a maybe cheaper price. I ended up with a chrome bumpered C3 corvette. It was half the price of a similar Camaro. With a beautiful paint job, EFI aluminum headed 383, a TKO 5 speed conversion, and some suspension upgrades, it was still at the low end of your price range. I'm not trying to sell you on a Corvette though. If you find something other than a Camaro and have a little vision, you can have a pretty cool car within your range or maybe even less.

Also, a lot of the cars advertised on here are 'Best of the Best " type builds. A $60k car on Protouring.com might have $100k or more invested. As much as I love this forum, you might be able to find what you are looking for on a marque specific forum...mustang, chevelle, fairlane, etc. Enjoy the car and upgrade what you want to get it to the level you desire.

Hope it helps, and good luck with the search....and, if you could deal with finishing up a Firebird, I think this is a lot of car for the money. I'd get it for myself if I wasn't having so much fun with the Vette

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...unning-project
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Yeah that Firebird looks like a steal for $10k

I've seen some nice Chevy IIs around that range.

Good Guys Pleasanton for sale car corral just around the corner.

Portland Swap Meet is coming up, I've heard it's gigantic. Might be something there.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I really worked on getting this Cat, but I think it’s already spoken for ☹️ Gotta be the most beautiful Cougar I’ve seen so far. Super clean inside/out, laser straight, and tastefully modded to my liking already. Only thing I’d add down the road AC. I told him if for any reason the sale falls through, I’m ready to jump! Got all my ducks in a row
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/Merc...202762&sfns=mo

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      I really worked on getting this Cat, but I think it’s already spoken for ☹️ Gotta be the most beautiful Cougar I’ve seen so far. Super clean inside/out, laser straight, and tastefully modded to my liking already. Only thing I’d add down the road AC. I told him if for any reason the sale falls through, I’m ready to jump! Got all my ducks in a row
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/Merc...202762&sfns=mo

FWIW, I approve!!!!

Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

For that kind of money, you could probably get a very, very nice Skylark, Cutlass, or LeMans. Maybe a Torino or Falcon or something. Early Barracuda. Especially with the Pro Touring route, there is no reason, whatsoever, to think it would have to be a GS, 4-4-2, or GTO. Caveat is when I think of the term "muscle car," I generally think midsize, not the Camaro/Firebird/Mustang types which I think of as "pony cars."
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

There are many cars out there that you could build and stay within your budget. A few of my favorites are listed below.

Fox body Fords: These come in many flavors. Mustang, Thunderbird, LTD, Fairmont, and even a Lincoln Continental, were all part of the Fox body family. You can build a 2-door, convertible, 4-door, and station wagon. All use essentially the same suspension, with upgrades of suspension, brakes, and chassis out there from new to used and in all price ranges. Ford 5.0 and LS swap kist are readily available.

GM G-body: These late 70s through mid 80s GM cars include the Chevy Malibu and Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Buick Regal, and Pontiac LeMans and Grand Prix. As with the Ford, you can find 2-doors, 4-doors, and station wagons. Chassis, brake, and suspension upgrades available are numerous, and they'll swallow a variety of engines from Chevy big block to LS.

GM B-body: These larger cars share dimensions with the '64 to '67 GM A-body cars (115" wheelbase). The suspension is the same as used on the 2nd generation F-body (Camaro/Firebird), and has many upgrades available. 2-door, 4-door, and wagons are available, as are the larger C-body luxury cars (including Cadillac).

BMW E34: Wait, what? Bear with me on this one. About the size of a first generation Chevy Nova, the factory suspension makes a fantastic handling car with tons of upgrades available. I6 powered cars will swallow an LS swap with little difficulty, while a V8 car will swallow a big block or Ford Coyote. Parts are readily available, and the cars themselves are very easy to work on.
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Another I thought of:

4th Generation X-body: The Chevy Nova, Oldsmobile Omega, Pontiac Ventura, and Buick Apollo used the same suspension as the 2nd generation F-body (Camaro/Firebird), so upgrades are readily available. The engine bay will swallow anything from a big block to an LS with ease.
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

I currently have a nice ‘89 Fox with a fairly mild Vortech/351w-498rwhp/491rwtq. Would be really nice to swap this drivetrain into an old Ford, but I don’t wana deal with any bodywork. I’ll just keep saving my money for something more done... Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep my eyes peeled for all ‘75 and older, preferably the smaller to mid-size bodies.

I currently have a nice ‘89 Fox with a fairly mild Vortech/351w-498rwhp/491rwtq. Would be really nice to swap this drivetrain into an old Ford, but I don’t wana deal with any bodywork. I’ll just keep saving my money for something more done... Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep my eyes peeled for all ‘75 and older, preferably the smaller to mid-size bodies.
      I would consider selling my 67 Cougar as a built roller. Tons of details here:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...7-Cougar-build

You can stab your 351w combo into it and have a blast!

Highlights:

TCP front end with RP steering and double adjustable shocks
      Electronic steering conversion
      9" rear with detroit locker and strange axles (genuine Ford housing)
      Caltracs with split mono leaf springs and DA shocks (same as front)
      Stock interior with vintage SW gauges
      Hydraulic clutch conversion
      Electronic headlight conversion
      Solid state sequential turn signal conversion
      Baer SS+4 front brakes with Baer Remaster MC
      Weighs 3140 pounds as it sits
      Much more!

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-31-2019 at 06:52 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I love everything you’ve done to the Cougar, but I wish it was painted. I’m just not a big Patina guy.

I love everything you’ve done to the Cougar, but I wish it was painted. I’m just not a big Patina guy.
      I'd it was painted, it would be a lot more experience...lol

Take it to be body shop of your choice and have it painted whatever color you like!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Gonna check this Firebird out. What y’all think?
      https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...850698193.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com