Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5th Gen Pontiac Firebird

Pontiac fans are going to like this one:

One project I've wanted to take on for years was to create a modern looking Firebird that GM would have built, had Pontiac survived.

There are a lot of companies out there that have done this, but they all have recreated the Firebird /Trans Am by taking a 5th Gen Camaro (which GM did in the form of a retro 1st Gen Camaro) and putting a 2nd Gen "like" front end on it. They are cool looking cars, but to me they are not quite right.
      The reason I don't think these modern recreations are not quite right, is the 2nd Gen Firebirds did not have a rear quarter glass like the 1st Gens did (and the 5th Gen Camaros do)....so to me it only makes perfect sense to do a 5th Gen Firebird in the form of a 1st Gen Firebird....follow me?? (Note: I have seen one done in the vision of a 69 Trans Am and it is a great looking car, but I want to do a "67 version, which to my knowledge has never been done.)
      Now before the rest of the Pontiac world starts sending me hate mail and stabbing their Kevin voodoo dolls with pins...let me be perfectly clear... I will not be putting an LS in this car. (LS engines make great power, no argument there), but this one will be pure Pontiac and powered by a Pontiac 455. So for all the LS haters out there rest easy.
      So for some time now I have been looking for a 5th Gen Camaro with light front end damage (since the front end sheet metal will be getting a make over anyway) and preferably one with no drive train.....well my search has ended (and I even found it locally)
      What is my vision for this thing?.....well it will be done in the form of a '67 Firebird with a modern spin. I will be taking the approach of putting on my "GM" hat and doing something they might have done in 2010.

This will be a long term project, but for now it's back to the drawing board, come up with a design plan and get a clear vision of the end product. I welcome any input on design ideas for both the body and interior, so feel free to chime in.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  188.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  199.7 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  195.8 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  240.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  128.8 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  143.6 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  70.6 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  101.2 KB

A modern '67 could be cool. I can't wait to see where you go with this. In 2010, I imagine the Firebird would have had a lot of the G8 cues (and been more '69ish). Best of luck!

Subscribed.

Thanks, yes, I will most likely use some G8 cues, that has been a common theme with my Pontiac buddies. I am very early inthe design stage. As I progress with the build I will post updates.

I love the idea. Ive always loved Pontiacs (had a 91 Firebird for years) and have never really liked the looks of the new Camaro or the Firebird clones. Plus the 455 over the LS makes me think this will be special. Like you said, the LS is a great engine, but its been put in EVERYTHING. Looking forward to seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdad View Post
      I love the idea. Ive always loved Pontiacs (had a 91 Firebird for years) and have never really liked the looks of the new Camaro or the Firebird clones. Plus the 455 over the LS makes me think this will be special. Like you said, the LS is a great engine, but its been put in EVERYTHING. Looking forward to seeing this.
      Thanks, I am a Pontiac purist thru and thru, so the 455 was an easy choice, plus the amount of hate mail I might have gotten from my Pontiac buddies for putting an LS in there would have been overwhelming

Stay tuned for updates.

Great to see this posted here, Kevin. I will be watching with great interest.
      DaveZ
      Updated CP Camaro
      No such thing as too much power or too much traction

Thanks Dave! Good to see you here!

Doing some preliminary mock up of the 455 block. Looks like I should have plenty of room to work with.

Name:  IMG_20190318_180535937.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  207.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20190318_180520623.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  schemer.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  18.0 KB

Pontiac V8?! Now that's PROPER!!

Quote Originally Posted by PonchoJohn View Post
      Pontiac V8?! Now that's PROPER!!
      Thanks Poncho John! Yep it's going to be 100% Poncho powered.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com