Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    43

    70 Camaro, LSA ... which trans?

    Hey guys, just in the process of swapping a LSA into my 70 Camaro build. Originally was thinking to do a tremec t56 but now thinking I want to go auto. Any suggestions? Would be cool to have paddle shift...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Springs, Texas
    Posts
    3,060
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Hey guys, just in the process of swapping a LSA into my 70 Camaro build. Originally was thinking to do a tremec t56 but now thinking I want to go auto. Any suggestions? Would be cool to have paddle shift...
    Speartech can do paddle shifting on a 6L90E which is what the LSA powered ZL1 Camaro used.

    Don
    1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
    1957 Buick Caballero - huge project
    1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, IL
    Posts
    2,363
    Country Flag: United States
    4L80/85e or 6L80/90e are pretty much your only options.
    I believe both would be compatible with a paddle shift from Twist Machine.

    -Dale
    SchwartzPerformance
    The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
    SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

    Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    52
    Does lsa fit without hood modifications?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Springs, Texas
    Posts
    3,060
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fastd View Post
    Does lsa fit without hood modifications?
    Factory cowl hood is needed with ZL1 lid. Not sure about CTS-V lid.

    Don
    1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
    1957 Buick Caballero - huge project
    1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
    4L80/85e or 6L80/90e are pretty much your only options.
    I believe both would be compatible with a paddle shift from Twist Machine.

    -Dale
    How about a 4L75E? I thought they were designed to handle 750hp or something, and much smaller than the 4L80E for easier musclecar fitment and weight savings.
    70 GTO - Turbo LS Swap underway...
    70 Firebird project - 455/400

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    317
    Country Flag: United States
    My experience is that a hood mod is needed for either CTS-V or ZL1 lids. I've had both, and neither fit. But, I'm running a TCI subframe and that may make the LSA sit a bit higher than in other subframes.
    Last edited by terrydmorgan; 04-03-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Adding info
    1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    317
    Country Flag: United States
    I've got the 6L90e in my car and I've installed a shifter from the Pontiac G6, but the shifter is so physically tall that I can't imagine a center console will look good. I'm wondering if the 2016-2019 Camaro shifter will work with the 6L90e. Physically, it looks much shorter, but it's connected to the new 10-speed transmission (I think), instead of the 6L90e. Any experience?
    1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Springs, Texas
    Posts
    3,060
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
    I've got the 6L90e in my car and I've installed a shifter from the Pontiac G6, but the shifter is so physically tall that I can't imagine a center console will look good. I'm wondering if the 2016-2019 Camaro shifter will work with the 6L90e. Physically, it looks much shorter, but it's connected to the new 10-speed transmission (I think), instead of the 6L90e. Any experience?
    I used the Speartech shifter which I think is a G8 shifter. Itís big but I think it looks ok.

    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
    1957 Buick Caballero - huge project
    1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Saginaw Mi
    Posts
    86
    Keep the manuals alive!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    317
    Country Flag: United States
    Looks very nice! Gen 5 seats? I’m about to do the same. Any advice on mounting seats? I like your center console too.
    1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Springs, Texas
    Posts
    3,060
    Country Flag: United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
    Looks very nice! Gen 5 seats? I’m about to do the same. Any advice on mounting seats? I like your center console too.
    Seats are Recaro seats out of a 2015 Z28. Very tight fit especially with the MCI console. You’ll need a TMI headliner for the height. The seats are very comfortable but I don’t think I would use them again.



    Don
    1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
    1957 Buick Caballero - huge project
    1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain