Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: pwm vs factory

Country Flag: United States

pwm vs factory

Im not sure if this should be in this section or the electrical/ wiring section. also, the title is misleading, I meant aftermarket fan controller vs factory ecu. Anyway, I have a 5.3 in my g body right now and am using a Dakota digital fan controller to run my twin 11" fans. I am swapping in an ls3 and need to have another harness converted to stand alone. Looking for opinions whether to keep my Dakota digital controller, or to have the harness set up for fans to be controlled by the ecu? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

pwm control via Ecu is pretty complicated. You can get stand alone pwm controller fairly cheap.

In my s10 I had a harness made and ran fans from the ecu and it was completely worry free and I loved it because I could change when the fans came on with hptuners. I am not familiar with the Dakota fan controller though so don't have anything to compare with.

Having ecu just turn on fan/s at full blast is easy just need a relay or 2 and basically that’s it, but if your looking for Ecu to control a pwm module that’s complicated. Like I said really great PWM stand alone modules out there like DCC. The Dakota unit I believe is a soft start where it starts at 50% then increases speed as needed. If that’s what you have that’s a good unit as well.

Thank you for the responses. I'm sorry if I was confusing, I'm not looking for pwm via the ecu. I'm not looking at pwm's that got typed in error. I'm just looking for preffered method for fan control. The factory ecu setup or an aftermarket fan controller.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com