Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

115v 140amp MIG welder powerful enough to do the job

Greetings,

We are building a 67 camaro with a ridetech rear 4 link, and a TR6060 tranny-both will require some cutting and welding. I have a nice gas MIG welder rated at 140 amps and can be plugged in to 115v or 220V. Is this plenty for welding the tunnel back together after we cut and raise it? Will it be powerful enough to install the DSE leaf spring brackets and also to stitch weld the ridetech 4 link? Most of my research says yes but I know this forum has many experienced welders and want to get their opinion. Don’t want cold welds and concerned there may not be enough amps to penetrate especially when working on the fabrication for the rear suspension.

Thanks.
      Chris.

Country Flag: United States
      It will be fine imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      If you can plug it into 220 then do it , otherwise yes it can do it . If you're still not sure. Use it to tack weld everything then get someone with a bigger welder and or more experience to finish it off for you
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Hey Ryan. You’re alive.
      Hi ����
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Hey Ryan. You’re alive.
      Hi 🤙🏻
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

My old miller 135 110v only mig has been used for as thick as 3/8" steel with some beveling & a slower welding time than a larger machine. Has to be run all out for thicker stuff, which as much as anything gives a much shorter duty cycle of time you can run without stopping than you'd have with a larger machine.
      With experience you can somewhat see the penetration depth by the metal glowing red after more than a short burst of welding time.
      With a dual voltage machine, running it to the higher end of it's rating would be much better on the machine hooking up to a 220v circuit as well as a little better output even on a 140 setup. If you don't have a nearby 220 plug, making an adapter to a dryer plug to run a heavy gauge extension cord is a common source.

I plan on putting a 220 outlet in this week. I don’t know the science behind this-can someone explain a 140 amp welder plugged into 110 vs plugging the same welder into a 220 outlet?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      My old miller 135 110v only mig has been used for as thick as 3/8" steel with some beveling & a slower welding time than a larger machine. Has to be run all out for thicker stuff, which as much as anything gives a much shorter duty cycle of time you can run without stopping than you'd have with a larger machine.
      With experience you can somewhat see the penetration depth by the metal glowing red after more than a short burst of welding time.
      With a dual voltage machine, running it to the higher end of it's rating would be much better on the machine hooking up to a 220v circuit as well as a little better output even on a 140 setup. If you don't have a nearby 220 plug, making an adapter to a dryer plug to run a heavy gauge extension cord is a common source.

In general many things such as electric motors run cooler & more efficiently on 2 smaller hot power lines at a lower voltage than 1 higher amperage line, plus a little extra output overall at your welders higher output range.

Without writing a novel ... it just works better lol ...more power (insert tim Allen grunts)
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com