Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

OEM Underhood fuse box

Im looking for an OEM underhood fuse/relay box to put... under my hood... I looked at the Eaton/Bussman stuff, but they do not offer any "weatherproof" power distribution modules that use mini relays. I need at least 4 mini relays and 2 micro relays with at least 8 fuse locations. (2 electric fans, quad headlights, horn, and a few other low-er current things) I have started to look at BMW and Mercedes but its kind of difficult to narrow down my results with such a broad search term. Size is also a major concern, and many modern underhood boxes house 30+ fuses. Im trying to think of smaller, no-frills cars like a BMW Z3 that I can search under.

Anyone have a daily driver where they popped the hood and think "wow thats a nice power distribution box to retrofit into a hotrod!" Or is that just me?
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Country Flag: Canada
      Oh god .. I wanna think there was a mid 90s early 2000 gm , maybe it was a Buick of some sorts that had one . Let me do some digging I'm sure I can come across it again
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
      I love those (and waytek) but I have concerns about micro relays handling the current of my electric fans long term.

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Oh god .. I wanna think there was a mid 90s early 2000 gm , maybe it was a Buick of some sorts that had one . Let me do some digging I'm sure I can come across it again
      I remember someone posting a GM box a while ago too but couldn’t find it. If you do I would really appreciate it!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

I wouldn't have any concerns with putting this under the hood, it has available connector seals and a sealed lid. 5,300 miles and my Contour fans have not given me any problem. I one run relay on low speed and two relays in parallel for high speed [not shown].

It's a bussmann. I'd much prefer something like this rather than trying to piece together and modify an OEM box.

Name:  16473640_1430977103613010_9145295591274288050_n.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  38.0 KB.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

believe me... if bussman made a panel with mini relays I’d already have it on my car! With two separate fans, I like to run them on two circuits so if one fails I still have one. That would equate to running 4 micro relays for only two fans, which doesn’t make sense to me. I re-pin and modify OEM connectors and fuse boxes almost every day so that doesn’t bother me. The OEM stuff is **usually** over built and being that this will be in an extreme duty environment, I’d like to engineer this to be as reliable as possible
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Run a pwm for the fans.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

I bought a couple of these...
      https://www.online-led-store.com/ip6...-accepspwr0312

They use standard Bosch-style relays, but I grabbed some 50 amp and some 40 amp versions to handle the current- I haven't wired them yet, so I can't say how good/bad they are, at this time.

Bussman 15303 fuse box

Waytek sells this Bussman fuse box that holds 5 micro relays and 10 fuses. PN15303 2-2-4 has a common buss bar to feed power to the fuses. The max current is 80amp. You have to crimp the terminations and stab them from the back side. Everything has a watertight seal.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4634...i-Fuse-Panel-/

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by PonchoJohn View Post
      I bought a couple of these...
      https://www.online-led-store.com/ip6...-accepspwr0312

They use standard Bosch-style relays, but I grabbed some 50 amp and some 40 amp versions to handle the current- I haven't wired them yet, so I can't say how good/bad they are, at this time.
      Thats pretty much exactly what Im looking for... Hows the quality of that fuse box look? Im mainly concerned with the terminal ports. Most of the cheap stuff has sloppy castings there and the terminals dont always lock in properly. It says Nylon 66 so I assume its not glass fiber reinforced? For 20$ its worth a gamble I guess!
      Ive got some Tyco and Hella relays from waytek that have held up well for my fans and push start system. I think they are rated for 40A. Ill likely use them here as well.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

These are a favorite of mine- not waterproof- but for my fans I put them in a voltage regulator box- so it looks "stock" and its waterproof.

Used them all over my car- even to replace my fusebox.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....01/category/63

I've seen that box- I just don't know about the quality...was even thinking about using the modular ones and putting them in a waterproof box....

If you get one- do report back on the quality.

Name:  relaysocket_zps828e9009.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  94.7 KB

Voltage Regulator-AKA relays for fans!!!

Name:  DSCN5180.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  219.0 KB

Name:  DSCN7277.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  253.1 KB

Like I said, I haven't wired it up yet, so I can't comment too much on the quality of the wiring interlocks, but I will say this:
      I had previously ordered some HD waterproof Bosch-style relays from Online LED Store, and the wiring and connections were all top rate. I noticed that the waterproofing seal that goes on the bottom of the relay panel looked remarkably similar to my OLS waterproof relays, so I compared them- YUP! Same seal! This will help me since I already have 12 ga pigtails from the waterproof relays- I'm just gonna disconnect the connectors/wiring/seals from the waterproof relays and install them in the fuse box.
      The fuse box has a silicone perimeter seal that seats in the upper housing cover, a molded waterproof seal for the wires, and individual seals (kind of like a Delphi or Deutch connector) for the fuse wire leads. The box seems likes it's a well made plastic, but I won't know for sure until it has done some time in the engine bay.
      I see a lot of offroad guys using them (that's where I initially heard about them), and their stuff is pretty hot/muddy/wet, so I'm hoping that's a really good sign for me! LOL

The Bussmann boxes are excellent. I have used them in the past. They use Metripack 280 series terminals that are rated for 30amps. I have also pulled delphi parts from the junkyard and purchased new terminals from Mouser to complete whatever I need. Delphi (or whatever they are called now) also sells sealed mini relay bases that can be used with "skirted" relays. Waytek has them. They use Metripack 630 series terminals.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-24-2019 at 08:50 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I caved and bought the Bussman ssVEC fuse block/ power distribution module. Picker makes relays that are supposed to have a higher tolerance to inrush current spikes which is what sparked this whole search. Ill just keep an eye on the fan circuits and cross my fingers.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

pwm fan control would eliminate concerns for inrush current spikes.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

V2.0 will have pwm and the CAN communicating ssVEC power distribution modules... For now, Im going to deal with it as is. Ive come to realization that this is an OK corner to cut for now so I can get moving with the rest of the build.

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

The Bussmann box showed up today, specifically the ssVEC 31S-000-0. Its a really nice piece... BUT the 85 coil is common among ALL 8 RELAYS!!! WTF?? I have negative and positive relay triggers, and many of them are not common to the rest of the relays. I already took the box apart and can see why its like this (cost of mfg)... not modifiable either. I would have paid extra money if they offered a box individual relay coil terminals. At least make the schematic easy to find online... Its not included with the unit
      Under the documentation tab -> drawings -> PDF
      https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...sVEC/index.htm

/Rant over
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Chris,

There are several versions of that box, so you have to look carefully at exactly which is being ordered. I like the one where the main power feed is busses, that way I can choose how to trigger the relays.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Chris,

There are several versions of that box, so you have to look carefully at exactly which is being ordered. I like the one where the main power feed is busses, that way I can choose how to trigger the relays.

Andrew
      That was the first thing I checked... All versions have the common 85...
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Pretty sure there is a version as I described. It might be the one you have and you install the relay upside down.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com