Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Shipping a trans????

I've seen mention of using Fastenal to ship engines and trans, has anyone done it? I need a Muncie shipped up to Ohio from Florida

Country Flag: United States
      I looked in to it a while back shipping a bunch of parts to Canada. It looked to be a big hassle. I ended up using FEDEX ground; rates are fair and I seem to remember that they have boxes that would fit and handle the weight of the transmission

A Muncie will easily fit into any of those big plastic containers. Just enclose and secure it styrofoam so it isn’t slamming around in the box. Shop for best prices, done.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSOCAL View Post
      A Muncie will easily fit into any of those big plastic containers. Just enclose and secure it styrofoam so it isn’t slamming around in the box. Shop for best prices, done.
      That's pretty much what I have done. I built a wooden support around the output shaft in case they dropped it also.
      I did run into a problem. The container listed it as a "40 gallon" or so container. They girl at UPS told me that the item weighed more than 40 gallons. I asked her what the standard weight for a gallon was? She did not answer but said well we can try it and see if they take it.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      That's pretty much what I have done. I built a wooden support around the output shaft in case they dropped it also.
      I did run into a problem. The container listed it as a "40 gallon" or so container. They girl at UPS told me that the item weighed more than 40 gallons. I asked her what the standard weight for a gallon was? She did not answer but said well we can try it and see if they take it.
      I can't believe I've worked 33 years at that company.
      Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I've seen mention of using Fastenal to ship engines and trans, has anyone done it? I need a Muncie shipped up to Ohio from Florida
      I shipped a Richmond 6 speed via UPS. Build a wooden crate and you're good to go. UPS will ship under 150 pounds. Hell, I've even shipped a T56 via UPS.

Another option for big items is Grayhound, but they only ship to a terminal, so someone will have to drive to pick it up.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I stopped in to a local Fastenal store and the system for shipping seems pretty good. I'm probably going to giver them a shot

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com