Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

R134 VA system charging,

So I’m curious. You see so many off the shelf charging systems that come with gauges to charge “until your in the green” and others like VA give you the weight. I’m looking at R134 cans and some are 20oz but the back of the bottle says 18oz R134 and 2oz of additives. Do I just go off the R134 # or total of oz? Also why can’t i use the home systems and charge until the gauge shows green? Seems a lot easier than trying to measure by weight which I think would be less accurate. I have my system sealed and Evac all ready to go. Just needs Freon.

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Vintage Air operates at different pressures than an OEM system so the gauge does not apply. The margin for error is also smaller as I understand it.

You can buy R134A without additives. If you don’t have a VA supplied compressor you will need to add the correct amount of oil when you charge it.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

just get two 12oz cans of pure R134 and empty them in.

VA and CAA operate on the same basic type of system IIRC, and use 24 oz of refrigerant.

my guess is VA pre charged the compressor with oil, in which case dont add any more oil as you'll decrease the efficiency.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Is it what VA does or Sanden? When I got my supplies compressor from VA it was sealed in a box, same as my Sanden...VA opens them up and pre-oils them?

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Vintage Air operates at different pressures than an OEM system so the gauge does not apply. The margin for error is also smaller as I understand it.

You can buy R134A without additives. If you don’t have a VA supplied compressor you will need to add the correct amount of oil when you charge it.

Don
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

well, I guess what I meant was that the compressor they sell are probably pre charged. it should say in the instructions.

otherwise give VA a call and ask.
      1971 Camaro

Gotcha, sold my original compressor. I have a new Sanden. The instructions on their site do show their compressors come with oil.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

yeah the OEM sanden I bought was also pre charged as well.
      1971 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      just get two 12oz cans of pure R134 and empty them in.

VA and CAA operate on the same basic type of system IIRC, and use 24 oz of refrigerant.

my guess is VA pre charged the compressor with oil, in which case dont add any more oil as you'll decrease the efficiency.
      Vintage Air states 1.8 pounds, 28 ounces and they are pretty clear on the need for it to use that exact amount....

Maybe the OP should ask VA....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Most compressors come pre charged with oil, but how much? Use a paint mixing cup or measuring cup and drain the compressor. It helps to turn the compressor. Measure what comes out. If it's a new system, then you need to add the required system charge of oil. If it's a unit that has been in service, measure and replace just that amount of oil in the old compressor and put that amount in the new compressor.
      I have to do this on every system I work on. If you replace a component of the a/c system, drain it and replace that amount of oil in the new part as well.
      VA systems are "big" by todays standards, but still small as compared to R12 systems. Charge is pretty critical. 3-4 ounces one way or another can either slug the compressor or cooling will be poor.
      Evacuation is the most critical. Despite what some people think that you are sucking out stuff, what your really doing is lowering the vapor pressure in the system. This allows water to boil at temperatures under ambient, turning to steam, and easily removed from the system through the pump.
      Your ahead to just pay someone with a charging station that can evacuate and charge the system by weight. Just my $0.02.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

So, if that’s true why would VA assume the liability to tell you not to add oil? If the servicing is so critical, why is the DIY market so big? Everyone sells R-134 cans and servicing ports. You even see this stuff in grocery stores.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      So, if that’s true why would VA assume the liability to tell you not to add oil?
      Because they have there systems setup to use the oil amount precharged in the new compressors. Still should verify the oil amount in the compressor vs. what the system calls for.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      If the servicing is so critical, why is the DIY market so big? Everyone sells R-134 cans and servicing ports. You even see this stuff in grocery stores.
      I guess you could say no more critical than building an engine. Why buy or use precision measurement tools when you can just buy Plast-Gauge?
      The people buying the freon charge kits are the same that buy block and radiator sealant. They don't want to spend the money to fix their A/C systems, so they just throw in some freon. It works on the same principal too, you know your A/C system has an issue, so your not mad if it doesn't cool correctly, or at all. You already knew it had a problem. Same with block/radiator seal...

I'm just trying to help you and tell you the correct way, if you don't feel it's necessary, then don't do it.

I'm betting you'll be the guy posting in a few days, "Help, Charged my A/C and it doesn't cool very well".
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Because they have there systems setup to use the oil amount precharged in the new compressors. Still should verify the oil amount in the compressor vs. what the system calls for.

I guess you could say no more critical than building an engine. Why buy or use precision measurement tools when you can just buy Plast-Gauge?
      The people buying the freon charge kits are the same that buy block and radiator sealant. They don't want to spend the money to fix their A/C systems, so they just throw in some freon. It works on the same principal too, you know your A/C system has an issue, so your not mad if it doesn't cool correctly, or at all. You already knew it had a problem. Same with block/radiator seal...

I'm just trying to help you and tell you the correct way, if you don't feel it's necessary, then don't do it.

I'm betting you'll be the guy posting in a few days, "Help, Charged my A/C and it doesn't cool very well".

FWIW, I charged my first VA set-up. I’m looking for an easier way because trying to measure 12z cans was a PIA
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I use a little ebay drug dealer digital weigh scale. I know the weight of the empty can and compensate for it.

I also have a set of gauges and a vacuum pump.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Autozone will lend you gauges and a vacuum pump no charge.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'm going to be charging a CAA system pretty soon. My plan was to just take it to a shop and have them do it, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure that will work out as well as I would hope.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Vintage Air states 1.8 pounds, 28 ounces and they are pretty clear on the need for it to use that exact amount....

Maybe the OP should ask VA....

Don
      hmmm ok... so I guess they take a little more than CAA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      I'm going to be charging a CAA system pretty soon. My plan was to just take it to a shop and have them do it, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure that will work out as well as I would hope.
      itll evacuate just like any other system. for charging, simply show them CAAs instructions on how much to put in. they should know what to do. its not that complex...
      1971 Camaro

I would be worried a shop would mess it up if VA pressures don’t align with norms
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I guess it depends on what they're instructions say. CAA seems to be more focused on the amount of refrigerant. they do give pressures, but it seems like more of a back check to see if there's anything wrong with the system.

basically put in 24 oz and you should get these pressures. as opposed to saying put in refrigerant until you get these pressures.
      1971 Camaro

When topping off a system most often the LS/HS pressure will be monitored to dial in the capacity or witness performance issues, But when charging a dry system the only way to know that you have the correct capacity is by the weight. Once the recommended refrigerant (by weight) has been added the pressures will tell you how the system is performing. When the Vintage air system has the correct charge and the components are working as they should you should see 6-20 psi for the low side and double the ambient temp. + 15-20 % for the high side. The Sanden Compressors will come from the Sanden factory with the proper amount of oil (7.2 oz. PAG 100) If you have lost any oil or are concerned with the oil charge you could always remove the drain plug from the body of the compressor and drain out all of the oil and add 7.1 oz. back (minus .1 oz. for oil film remaining)

So I charged the AC system, of course like last time, blew an O-ring with only 6oz added to the system. I did my best to get the recommended 28oz in, the system blows cold and the pressure readings are about right. The only thing is at 1500rpms, the low pressure is about 23-25psi compared to the recommended 6-18. Could be my Harbor Freight Gauges accuracy. Any who is this PSI something to be concerned about?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com