Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Trying to cool my 1967 Camaro

1967 Camaro with big block chevy motor. Motor is built nicely with Dart aluminum heads and solid roller cam, makes about 500hp to the wheels. Currently running a BeCool radiator with dual pass and 1 inch tubes. Also using a Lincoln mark 8 fan. The car also has Vintage AC set up. My problem is when running the car on the highway at speeds, the temperature gets up to over 210 degrees even with the high speed of the fan on. Driving around town, the temperature stays around 190 degrees. What do I need to do to cool this car. Do I need a radiator made with 1 1/4 inch tubes? The motor is tuned properly and the vacuum advance is not hooked up. I tried it with the vacuum advance hooked up but made no difference

Could you post up a picture of your set up please. It might help some people better understand what you have. Cheers Brew
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Probably a stupid question but is your fan turning the wrong direction?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Single fan? Shroud? Like Don said, which direction is the fan running? Does it kick off at highway speeds? Depending on the answers to the last two questions, it may be trying to push back the air that's flowing thru the radiator at highway speeds...
      Prior to switching to LS power, I ran a BBC and PRC radiator with dual Spal fans and their aluminum shroud and didn't have any problems. My fans were pulling air thru the radiator, not pushing.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      Could you post up a picture of your set up please. It might help some people better understand what you have. Cheers Brew
      <br>
      I will try but not sure how. This is my first time posting a question<br><br type="_moz">

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Probably a stupid question but is your fan turning the wrong direction?

Don
      no the fan is operating correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Single fan? Shroud? Like Don said, which direction is the fan running? Does it kick off at highway speeds? Depending on the answers to the last two questions, it may be trying to push back the air that's flowing thru the radiator at highway speeds...
      Prior to switching to LS power, I ran a BBC and PRC radiator with dual Spal fans and their aluminum shroud and didn't have any problems. My fans were pulling air thru the radiator, not pushing.
      The Lincoln mark 8 fan is a single fan with built in fan shroud, a complete unit. The fan is a puller. The high speed of the fan kicks on automatically after 195 degrees. The car does not have a front spoiler or a close out panel

Curious what rpm you are running when cruising on the highway and what highway fuel economy you get.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

12 bolt rear end with 373 gears and turbo 400 trans. Spinning about 3400 rpm at 70mph and around 3800 rpm at 80mph, my usual speed when traffic is light. Not really sure about mileage. I drive this vehicle hard when traffic is light.

That's a lot of rpm for those speeds, I had the same problem and went to a 6 speed manual. Now I'm running just under 1k rpm in 6th gear. I've got a SBC running a stock big block radiator.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Under 1k?? How does the motor handle that ?? You running a V12?
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

210 isn't awful. Especially at 3800 rpm. Nearly all modern cars run those kinds of temps. Also, the fan isn't going to add any airflow at highway speeds, and can actually detract if the shroud and fan motor cover significant portions of the radiator.

If you can drive it for a long time and the temp stays there, you're fine.

What kind of oil temps are you seeing? If that's below 250, all is well.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 04-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

What water pump, water pump pulley ratio, thermostat brand and part number, how do your plugs look, what's your total timing at 3400 and 3800 rpm? Factory core support or? Need pics. front and back.

I have the same fan on a Griffon dual pass radiator in a 68 Camaro. Though I'm running an LS3 I just wanted to point out that the airflow above about 45 mph is far higher than the fan can produce. My fan never comes on while on the freeway and rarely comes on when driving on the road course. Despite the high RPM, the load on the engine while on the freeway is light. Something seems off.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Spoke to a griffon radiator rep. With the dual 1 1/4 inch tube, their radiator has a better cooling capacity than the becool radiator with dual 1 inch tubes. Is that the radiator you are using?

Trying to cool my 1967 Camaro

I have a similar Griffin. Same here once above 40mph the fan is not needed whatsoever. I manually control the fan for now. Eventually I’ll put a controller on it. But I pretty much don’t even run the fan at all unless I’m stopped at a light or in traffic.
      And I have a 500+ hp carbed 406
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Agree with above statements, need to see pictures of the fan/shroud combo. I'm familiar with the Mk VIII fan, but would like to see how you have it installed.

If it's running warm on the freeway but cooling down in traffic then the fan is doing its job at low speeds. Electric fans cannot be "pushed" faster by the air coming through the radiator, so if the air coming through the radiator is moving faster than the fan can pull it, the fan blocks the flow through the core. Almost all OEM manufacturers use flap valves in radiator shrouds or shut the fan off when the vehicle reaches a certain speed via the VSS & ECM. This way, the air can still flow through the core at higher speeds.

Here's an easy experiment to try. Put a switch in your fan circuit so you can manually shut the fan off when you get on the freeway and see if that helps. If it does help, then you need to find a way to shut off your fan at high speeds or find other ways to let the air through the shroud.

In this case I don't think going to a bigger core size will help if you if the problem is the fan/shroud. Better to run a quick experiment and see if there is change rather than drop money on a new rad that might not fix the issue.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      Under 1k?? How does the motor handle that ?? You running a V12?
      no, I don't get out on the long runs very often, but when I do I mostly stay in 5th gear. My car idles at 750 rpm so 900 to 1000 doesn't hurt the motor at 70 mph.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

What is it geared to go over 200 or something ??
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Agree with above statements, need to see pictures of the fan/shroud combo. I'm familiar with the Mk VIII fan, but would like to see how you have it installed.
      Here's an easy experiment to try. Put a switch in your fan circuit so you can manually shut the fan off when you get on the freeway and see if that helps. If it does help, then you need to find a way to shut off your fan at high speeds or find other ways to let the air through the shroud.
      Or just try unplugging the fan for a short experiment.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Somethings fishy here. I ran a MkVIII fan in my supercharged SVT Lightning for 12 years and it was a JDM (NJ) kit... IIRC the fan came on at 195 degrees, or if I switched the AC on. The previous owner had JDM install the fan while they were doing some other mods. That fan is a beast, and its rumored to pull 5500-6000 CFM. Wondering if you have it wired correctly, is it definitely pulling air and not pushing it? I think that Lincoln shroud is bigger than the Camaro core which is typically 23" wide and 17" deep. If the fan is running at 40 mph and over, it may be wired to run at a slow speed and therefore almost restricting the flow through the shroud. If its not running at that speed, maybe adding some rubber flaps to the shroud would help the volume of air that can pass through at highway speeds. The electrical circuits used with relay and temp switches act like electronic clutch fans... they are designed to only switch the fans on when the engine coolant temp is too hot.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com