Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How are you defining your target tire pressures with 17/18s?

I've always just ran a blanket 28psi front 30psi rear for my car and never really came up with a rhyme or reason.

What have you used to determine what psi you run on the street? Chalk the tread? Something else?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I use tire temps for pressure and alignment.

Mid 30 psi is almost a standard for most cars so it would probably be a safe starting point.
      Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I use tire temps for pressure and alignment.

And how does your testing process look? Skidpad? With varying temperatures at a controlled speed and radius?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      And how does your testing process look? Skidpad? With varying temperatures at a controlled speed and radius?
      Depends on what I am trying to accomplish. On the track its tricky because I typically see at least a 10 psi change usually more by the end of a race. For the street I would start in the mid 30's and drive in my typical fashion (whatever that is for you) and then take temps across the tires. If you can i would then do the same thing after a few laps on a road course. Then play with the pressures to get the temps across the tires as consistent as possible. For whatever reason i almost always end up putting more negative static camber in the right front when tuning by temps. For autocross I mark the sidewall on the fronts and add air until they don't roll over. I then typically match it in the rear or sometimes put a bit more to help the car to rotate.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com