Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Random question for a 1968 firebird.

This isnt asking for any specifics. I'm finally getting close to completetion on my build and your answers will help menresearch deeper.

Front suspension is stock subframe with BMR upper and lower control arms with coilovers.

Rear suspension is the BMR watts link setup with coilovers. Not tubbed or minitubbed.

My question is if those suspension changes will affect the width(can I go wider) in the rim/tire combos I choose.

I didnt know if the limitation of the front width is due to the subframe or a arms and if the rear was due to the leaf springs.

Bare with me as I am trying to make the question as basic as possible.

Thanks,
      Eddie

Seems that on a first gen Camaro guys are running 245/275 without mini tubs or mods to the front inner fenders on most suspension setups

Run 18s to clear brakes and tie rod ends and control arms and then push the wheel as far as you can inside for the front.

Rear the tubs will be your limit.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I agree, your limitations on the inside will be the wheelhouse in the rear and the subframe in the front (when you turn full lock). None of the modifications you made will help you run a wider tire. People do fit 245 front/275 rear, but it can be a challenge depending on tire make/model, especially if your car is sits low. Tires are kind of like shoes - there's a little variation between brands even when the stated size is the same. TireRack does a good job listing true section and tread widths.
      - Ryan

well - they probably list what the MFG publish. But it's reasonably good data in my experience. For example I just picked up a set of 275/295 Nitto NT05 and the published specs were absolutely spot on. But it's also very true that not all 275-35-18 tires are the same (or any size, just using that example). The Nitto's for example tend to run on the smaller side of things for most sizes, but the 295 is right on par with other mfg's tire.

Best thing is to do as much measuring as you can because I don't think there is ever a one size fits all scenario when it comes to wheels and tires and a customized pro-touring car.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Thanks. I was thinking that but it's not a clesr search. I really dont want to mini tub the rear so that will severely limit me. I have the car as a shell currently but the process of doing theminitubs is beyond my capability.

The front tires are my main concern. I was going to do a subframe and decided to spend that money for other things first(like a higher hp engine and better brakes)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com