Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

how many owners added AC to their 1st gen F body?

Have a shell/roller 67 camaro and will be installing a LS3 from a 2010 camaro ss with 20,000 miles. I believe if you want AC, and choose vintage air, you can’t use the stock AC compressor. None of my other builds have AC and I could go either way on this topic and be happy. I like the idea of keeping it simple and light and go with no AC. I also know resale sometimes improves with AC. Curious of the percentage of owners with/without AC.
      Question-is there a way to use the stock AC compressor in a 67 with a compatible system?
      For those who have swapped in a LS3 to a 1st gen F body, can you leave the accessory drive stock without conflicting or hitting on the subframe? Do some aftermarket subframes work better than others for fitting the LS3 accessory drive?
      I installed a LS1 into a Healey and had a tough time trying to find an alternator bracket and custom belt to fit. I know some have used Holley accessory drives. So in summary, does keeping AC make the car more valuable and how many owners included AC in their build?? Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I build cars in Florida. They all have AC (7 of 7).

Of course it makes the car more valuable; who wouldn't prefer AC given the choice?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I don't know WHY you couldn't reuse the stock compressor. It is just a pump and the A/C lines will plug in all the same. Even if it requires different fittings from VA's standard -10 fittings you will still have to "build the lines". The heat exchanger in the box doesn't care what screws onto the compressor... Your best bet would be to ask VA.
      I just replaced an old unit in my '56 wagon with a VA in-the-dash kit. It went in so well I have decided to put air in the Astro Van I am building.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

It is my understanding that variable displacement compressors don’t work with Vintage Air. Lots of threads here, use the search function.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      It is my understanding that variable displacement compressors don’t work with Vintage Air. Lots of threads here, use the search function.

Don
      Well, this could be your answer. Thanks Don! I haven't had the opportunity to work with a newer system so this is being filed away in the long term memory.
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

That. Truck compressors work but car compressors do not for the reason Don stated.

Air conditioning is the only money you will ever put into your car and get 100% return on your investment. Seriously.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I keep waiting for the day when VA support variable displacement compressors, but it will take a redesign of their evaporator and controller. No time soon.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I have read that the CTS-V compressor is not variable displacement and will work but I haven’t seen anyone actually using it.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am going with AC. Curious how much weight it adds but am hoping it is under 80lbs.

If it were up to me, while I was sitting in 100 degree weather at the peak of summer, I'm betting I wouldn't care how much it weighed.
      I do have it in my Camaro, which did not have it originally.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I would bet to say that it's probably less than half that...

Could probably email Vintage Air and find out what it weighs to ship?

Condenser, drier, compressor. Heater core and blower motor are replaced in one compact unit.

Like others have mentioned, the first time you use it, you'll appreciate it and forget about any excess weight you may have gained!

I used VA for my 69 with LS3 with Eforce SC. Used low mount kit. Could have big ugly GM compressor. Just didn’t like the look and weight. The mini compressor takes less than half the power of the old fashioned gm part.

It's worth the 1000 bucks for vintage air.Clean install and very modern.I got a 69 camaro with it and love it.

I’m adding AC now.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Called vintage air and it only adds 40lbs. I will relocate the battery to the trunk which will help.

Man I want to do this to my non ac bb 69 convertible, but it looks like a ****load of work, and I have large hands.....

Quote Originally Posted by viperman View Post
      Man I want to do this to my non ac bb 69 convertible, but it looks like a ****load of work, and I have large hands.....
      You're not wrong!

Though I think if AC is the only thing you're adding the biggest headache is getting the blower out. I tried to do it without pulling the fender but ended up giving up and taking it off. Apparently it can be done with the fender one by cutting the box apart, but I didn't know that at the time.

The rest of it is just tedious. Pulling the dash, mounting parts, routing hoses, etc.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Vintage Air seems to be the “go to” but does anyone have experience with Restomod Air? I bought 4 of their GM Replacement Billet Aluminum 5 Vane vents a while back for when I get to the interior/dash build and they are top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannnn View Post
      Vintage Air seems to be the “go to” but does anyone have experience with Restomod Air? I bought 4 of their GM Replacement Billet Aluminum 5 Vane vents a while back for when I get to the interior/dash build and they are top quality.
      We are a dealer for both. They each have their place. Most of the time in full size cars or suburbans, we do Classic Auto Air (Restomod Air) but most commonly, Vintage Air. The Restomod vents are incredible, you can order pretty much any look you want!
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com