Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Is it possible to build a 4-Linked Pickup with Ride Comfort Being the #1 Priority?

Guys, let me start off by saying I have a somewhat bad back (herniated disc) but haven't had surgery and I keep ahead of things with exercises and not lifting crap incorrectly. BUT, bumpy cars and trucks / uncompliant suspensions tends to make my back flare up. I LOVE short bed trucks and I want to build a brand new single cab to replace my last one that I sold, since it rode rough. That truck (73 C10) had a basic rear suspension design consisting of a rear shock relocation (both shocks at 30 degree angles) and Cal-Tracs bars, and the overload spring removed. The rear ride was somewhat compliant, but actually I could never get the front (even with ridetech coilovers) to ride soft enough because I don't think the coilovers had enough travel.

My question is, with long front coilovers (ie custom raised strut mounts) and a rear 4-link with a bunch of rear suspension travel, can a short wheelbase truck ever be truly plush? I don't want to cut the back half of the frame off and go with a T-Bird IRS or anything crazy like some of these pro touring C10's do. I was thinking a properly designed and implemented 4-link with a PHB (or watts link) and possibly using rubber heim joint links instead of heim rod ends? The truck will be slightly lower than a factory height 2wd truck. My goal is a 2/4" drop below a 2wd truck, heavily c-notched frame, and maybe cut into the bed to allow the use of a prerunner (lol) length coilover assembly with 14-16" springs and plenty of suspension travel to soak up the bumps. Kinda like a lowered Raptor but not for jumping, just for soaking up bumps. With a few clicks of the coilovers, the back end can stiffen up and the truck will 60ft in the 1.6 range on street tires like my old truck did, and boom I'll have the complete package I'm looking for. Am I totally dreaming guys? I just can't seem to get away from short bed trucks... but I may be in denial about making a short wheelbase solid axle full frame truck into something that it's not.

I would look at a ridetech air-ride set-up

1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      I would look at a ridetech air-ride set-up
      ridetech tells me there’s no difference between coilovers vs airbags in regards to ride quality. Bags just let you go up or down easier.

Country Flag: United States
      The ride quality of an air suspension is typically much better because the driver is able to quickly tune the load capacity of the airspring to the exact load of the vehicle and their driving style. You can get the same quality out of a coilover system but it just takes longer to tune. Once you change the load (adding or removing weight anywhere in the vehicle) the tune needs to be changed to maintain the same quality. This is where air comes into play.

There is only so much you can do to smooth out the ride of a pickup without destroying it's load carrying ability. Just curious if you have considered air ride seating like those used in over the road trucks?

https://www.bostromseating.com/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have a typical long arm offroad 4-link on my jeep and it's like riding on titties so good ride quality can be achieved. I have about 5" of compression wheel travel but I also have zero load carrying ability and look like I'm going to flip every time I turn...

Even a leaf spring SWB pick up can be fairly plush with the right springs, rate, and shocks. Work with a shop that knows how to set up dual or even triple rate coil overs. They will make the first couple of inches very soft. The 2nd pair of coils will be stiffer to prevent bottoming. 14-16" coil overs are for pre-running or off roading you won't need near that long.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      There is only so much you can do to smooth out the ride of a pickup without destroying it's load carrying ability. Just curious if you have considered air ride seating like those used in over the road trucks?

https://www.bostromseating.com/
      I’m not too concerned with loading carrying, this is just a street cruiser.

Anyone know who I can work with to put together some progressive coilovers?

1978 C10 diesel minus oil burner on air

I built air ride with parallel 4 link, panhard bar and CoolRide up front abot 3 yrs before air ride ?Technologies came up with bolt on set up, and I did it without cutting frame as I never wanted to lay frame, just lower truck and make it ride good.
      Now that Ridetech has made great shocks I intend to get it back on road, fix few issues with it and get my trailer puller back up.
      The old CoolRide came with custom tuned Monroe shocks but always rode good.
      Now on this build I simply welded in a cross bar and used Gabriel truck shocks for 67-72 truck arm coil sprung trucks and they worked well.
      BUT better adjustable shock might work better and I am dreaming about using heavier rear springs for towing. BUT mine rode and towed ok on 9000 series springs and handled awesome.
      Good luck
      Lee
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com