Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

67 Camaro Front Bumper Mounting Question

Not to bash anyone running around without a front bumper on their 67/68 Camaro, but I personally like the look with the front bumper better.

That being said, I'm playing around with the possibility of installing the lower front valence from Anvil that has the driving lights from the 69 grafted on.

The only downside for me is that there is no provision for the front bumper support brackets to poke through.

However, there are still the side mounting brackets on each fender.

Do you think those mounts alone will be enough to hold and support the bumper? I think it will be ok, but has anyone done this? I know some of you may think that I might not have enough support in a front end mishap, but I don't think it's any worse than the guys running around with no bumper!

Thanks and let me know what you think! On the plus side I can shed a little weight from removing the brackets!

John

I think it would be possible, but one problem you'll run into, which I'lll also be trying to overcome, is that the 67-68 bumper location will cover the top 1/3 of the 69 driving lights. Ideally the bumper needs to be raised 1/2" or so.

Hey James, thanks for the reply!

I've been following your build and I see you're trying the same thing on your 68. I know you made yours out of steel and later in your build thread mentioned you might be changing it up? What did you decide to do?

I thought the bumper might interfere with the top portion of the driving light, but can't really tell from online pictures of the few who are running it. I plan on using the piece from Anvil. If I do have to raise the bumper, it should be "easy" since it's only 2 tabs I need to mess with.

Let me know your thoughts.

PS Love the grill and have it bookmarked!

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Hey James, thanks for the reply!

I've been following your build and I see you're trying the same thing on your 68. I know you made yours out of steel and later in your build thread mentioned you might be changing it up? What did you decide to do?

I thought the bumper might interfere with the top portion of the driving light, but can't really tell from online pictures of the few who are running it. I plan on using the piece from Anvil. If I do have to raise the bumper, it should be "easy" since it's only 2 tabs I need to mess with.

Let me know your thoughts.

PS Love the grill and have it bookmarked!
      Yeah it was another ongoing dilemma I had, I didn't hate the design, but I didn't like how it was made by the previous fabricator. I chose to make it work, so it's bodywork for now.
      I'm now undecided if I'll run the bumper or not, but I'm leaning towards tucking and raising it.

I don't have a 68 Camaro but to add some strength once you bolt on the bumper with the two out side brackets could you build some type of reinforcement inside the bumper from one side to the other? Tuck inside the bumper so you can't see it?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com