Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Master disconnect switch on ecm cars

How are you guys dealing with a master kill switch if the car has a modern swapped engine in it where most things are running through an ecm (fuel,ignition, etc)? My first thinking was that a a kill switch to the ecm and alternator would shut the car down quickly, but the fuel trims would need relearning each time on the ecm. Not sure if that adds wear to the computer system overtime. Curious how others have set this up as I would like to set one up for my track days that I can reach from the drivers seat and also use it in the garage when I need to cut power while working on it. Thanks
      Cheers
      Dustin

I would cut the power to the ignition coil, injector 12v and fuel pump. That would kill the car but not cause relearning.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      I would cut the power to the ignition coil, injector 12v and fuel pump. That would kill the car but not cause relearning.
      I'm starting to fell the same way. Thought I could simplify some of the wiring by just triggering the ecm/alternator off but think I don't want to relearn each time I use the switch. Ive seen some cars setup this way but maybe they only plan on using it in emergencies instead of dual purpose like me. Thanks
      Cheers
      Dustin

I believe there is a way to keep the ECM memory active by simply running a small gauge wire that has a very low amperage fuse to the power source of the ECM. I am not sure how to do this but I know it is possible. I am hoping someone on this site can tell us how.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com