Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Thank you very much. Since I already have a Z06 that is set up for the track, I will lean towards the taller gear. I have a stock cam so torque is good at 1500rpm and the car will be be 700-800 lbs lighter than the donor car. I will look at the quadralink. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Your graph was a big help!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      I hadn't considered the tire was so tall. But it is.
      I was surprised when I saw that 28" spec above so I checked and mine has 275-35-18 which is similar at 27.7" tall. 2" taller than the tires going on my 71, which is getting a T56 Magnum close ratio
      Not to say you are wrong, but.....
      A 275/35/18 is only 25.7" tall. I know this because I have been researching tires for months now. I settled on a 275/40/18 which is about an inch taller.
      Matt H.

Thanks for the chart-I appreciate the extra effort to figure this out. Knowing how we will use the car, the 3.50 makes the most sense. David, was your website and you have had great success in autocross. We are originally from Nebraska and have you heard of the Sandhills open Road Challenge in Arnold Nebraska? It is held every year in August. We also track at Pacific Junction Iowa or Hastings Nebraska-excellent 2.5 mile long track with a straight section where you can get close to 140mph.
      I looked at the Quadralink video and might lean towards DSE. Definitely a lot of work.

Jimi Day has been telling me about Sandhills, & Steve Rupp ran Bad Penny there once. Sounds like a cool event! They both say the people there are terrific.
      I drove the One Lap Camaro at Pacific Junction in 2010. Felt I wasn't driving the best lines in some of the middle turns.

I don't know what your goals for the camaro are but going to some type of link suspension on the rear will help ride quality a lot. If you won't go over a 255 front tire, then a stock sub will work. Main drawback is lack of front tire room on a first gen. But if you are considering spending money on a new subframe, then you might as well get some extra tire room & move away from a stock sub. Speed Tech has their sub and a 3 link rear, and the Ride Tech rear suspension is very good, it's recently been re-engineered and improved.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Any advice on a 17” tire combo? I like to fill the gaps. Was originally thinking 235/45/17 on 17x8 and 275/40/17 rear on 17x9 but maybe I could go a little wider up front? Don’t want to tramline down the interstate. Max width I would go with would be a 255 front.

235/45/17 = 25.3" tall
      275/40/17 = 25.7"
      245/45/17 = 25.7"

The 235 is just a touch shorter than the 275 you were thinking of on the rear. I don't think anyone would ever notice a difference of .4". If you consider the bulge of the tire on the ground that difference would look even smaller.
      I ran the 245/45 and 275/40 combo for years on my Camaro. Both sizes are easy to find matching tires for. As for the "tram-lining" on the highway? I had a set of cheap no name tires that were very square in profile. The car was all over the place on I-70. Switched to BFG's with a rounded shoulder in the same size and it was like driving a different car. All of the wandering was completely gone.
      Matt H.

26.7” rear tire.

David, can you run this same spreadsheet and change the rear tire size to 26.7”? Looking now at the DSE subframes and the brake package requires an 18” wheel. Looking at 275/40/18 rear tires. Appreciate your help with this.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Here's a chart for a 2.66 first gear T56 Magnum
      We run this trans and use a 3.73 with an LS7 and it works very well. Also have used 3.90 and 3.55 with other cars. If your engine has a lot of cam, it may not like lugging along at 1500 rpm's in sixth gear.

I think 3.73 is a great ratio. Due to the car being autocrossed a lot, we look at first and second gear speeds a lot and it depends on where we run the car how well those gears work. The final drive ratios don't affect those lower gear top speeds a whole lot but do affect top speeds in 4th 5th and 6th much more.
      I redid the chart for 2.66 1st gear Magnum and did all three ratios discussed, 3.55, 3.73, and 3.90Attachment 161587
      Click this link to see a full size image
      https://pix.sfly.com/ZNJa7D

If you are going to spend all that money you should consider minitubs and running a wider rear tire.

Down the rabbit hole you go....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellow69 View Post
      Not to say you are wrong, but.....
      A 275/35/18 is only 25.7" tall. I know this because I have been researching tires for months now. I settled on a 275/40/18 which is about an inch taller.
      Oh mistyped that - I meant my 2016 Camaro has a 275-35-20 which is 27.7" tall. I just put 275-35-18 on the front of my 71 which is probably why I typed that.
      My only point - I was surprised the 2016 has 2" taller tires than the ones going on my 71. I am used to 26.x" tires, but almost 28" seems rather tall to me.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I figured it was something like that. New cars definitely have tall tires compared to what we have been used to. When I first put 245's on the front of my '69 i thought they were huge.
      Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      If you are going to spend all that money you should consider minitubs and running a wider rear tire.

Down the rabbit hole you go....

Don
      Agree 100% Mini Tubs are a MUST!
      Mike F.

Thanks for all the advice. Am looking at a DSE front subframe and possible ridetech 4 link for the rear and ridetech adjustable coil overs at all 4 corners. Will also have subframe connectors. I know many are suggesting a mini tub but I don’t need or want a very wide rear tire. Will keep that option open as I proceed with the build.
      Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com