Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What's new in digital dashes?

I've seen the racepak stuff for years, and while cool, they have a no frills look.

I see Autometer came out with one. It looks more visually apealing, but still looks outdated to me. And the price seems insane.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/10...8aAsxyEALw_wcB

With so many modern cars having digital and 3d gauge clusters, is anyone in the aftermarket coming anywhere close?

Maybe a rasberrypi set up would get me close to what I want, but I'd rather just have a ready to go, plug and play set up.
      Traven

Country Flag: United States
      Are you after the look or functions?

Autometer's unit has a lot of function, the GPS map & data logging are pretty cool.
      I like Holley's Pro Dash 12.9" - but I feel that probably also looks outdated to you?
      AEM's unit is a bit cheaper as well.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I’ve done a lot of research into this. Unfortunately I’m not computer savvy enough to build a raspberry or arduino set up. Easiest way to get virtual gauges is via tablet or iPad. Assuming your engine is LS you can plug in a WiFi obd adapter. There are several apps with free virtual gauges or you can pay like $5 and customize it through the app. To further this you can use an app like llama to control when the virtual app launches (power on/charge or screen goes blank power off). The only problem is the fuel gauge/pressure will not have a readout. It’s a fraction of the cost of any premade system. $50 for a cheap tablet or $100 for an old iPad. $25 for WiFi obd adapter and that’s it!

I went to SEMA last year and saw some decent ones. AEM's CD-7 is pretty good.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...-dash-displays

Holley's new EFI 12" dash is ok but the skins look very outdated. AEM's display is a lot better. Virtual dashes seem to be where everything is going. I agree with the iPad/tablet route. I use Real Dash with my LS3 and it even detects what gear I'm in. I have a TKO and I've never seen an app do that. The app is cheap and you do need to run a good OBDII interface with it but I've used it with a $20 one and it works ok. Plus the skins they have are really cool. Autometer also makes a package for $150 called Dashlink although you can buy Dash Command for a lot cheaper and it's the exact same thing. Here's a few links for you.

https://www.autometer.com/dashlink-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://realdash.net/index.php

https://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

I guess I'm more interested in looks and just displaying vehicle data. I don't necessarily need gps maping and race logging type of functions. Those are cool, if the price is reasonable.

I hadn't seen the AEM unit. I think I like the look a little more than the Autometer unit.

I'll have to look into rasberrypi more, but maybe a tablet based set up would be a good enough compromise, especially if I can make it start automatically when I turn the key on.

I hadn't seen RealDash yet either. They've got some good looking skins
      Traven

Dakota Digital has some pretty cool stuff out there. I just bought the RTX gauge for the Chevelle and it looks OEM, but has 2 configurable TFT displays on each side of the needle speedo. Similar to how new cars are right now with some classic styling and sweeping needle look combined with convenience of digital screens for more precise info.
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

I plan on running Holley's 7" digital dash in my 67 Camaro. Mostly because I'm using a Holley ECU to control the engine. There's even a dash insert so it fits nicely. I figured it's just plug and play and I'll have any information I want right at my fingertips.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com