Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pro-touring.com newbie!

I have be researching a lot of posts here and find there is a lot of great info and nice people.

I'm looking to make a camaro that I have into a pro-touring, some times auto-cross, daily driver or more likely week-end fun machine.
      Not new to racing or 1st gen camaro's. First one in 1978 at the age of 15. First race car (drag) build started in 1979. First race in 1980 at Ardmore Raceway in Springer Oklahoma.
      I've been a motorhead almost from birth. First truck restoration, helping my dad about 6. The last racing I've done was sprint shifter kart racing last year. Cracked ribs and broke rib protector from lateral g's. Too old for that now.

Looking to modify a 1967 Camaro RS/SS 350, M-20 4 speed, 12 bolt posi, Power Steering, Power Disc Front Brakes and Drum Rear, No AC, all original (not a clone). I was going to go all out and change the subframe and a rack up front, tub the rear, install a four link, drop in an LS3. I had to sole search and put the brakes on. I still have the fever, but I think I could do the same thing to a basic camaro that you can find for 10k or 15k, that would make a good starting platform.

So having said all that, to come back around and say, build my 1967 RS/SS to drive, have fun and not damage the long term value of the car. No cutting of the frame, no mini tubs, no LS3. Only bolt on type of things that if I wanted to return it to completely stock I still can put the old parts back on.

So what would be a good starting point?

My thoughts are taller front spindles that also drop the front about 2" like the ridetech Tru-turn System, ridetech, DSE or Hotchkis front spring and tubular front control arms, Ridetech shocks, 1-1/8 front sway bar, drop rear springs about 2" maybe composite springs, maybe rear sway bar. 17x8 front wheel, 17x9.5 rear wheels, 255-40-17 front tires, 275-40-17 rears. Might consider 275-40-17 fronts. I can buy after market inner fenders and notch them for clearance.

Glade to be here!
      Jeff C

Here is the starting point.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Welcome! Looks like you have a great car to start with.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Looks like an excellent start! I just sent you a PM as we can provide everything you need on the build and I am more than happy to take the time to go over options and suggestions if you wanted to call as well, whatever works best for you.
      Thanks,
      Matt
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

I'd leave that one alone and pick up a newer version to modify..

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com