Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

fast efi question

Hey guys Im new here and just signed up, my name is moose, Im from wa state and its super cold here right now but here is my question. I have a fast efi system Im going to put on my new sbc stroker 427 in my 70 camaro and in my kit there is an inline fuel pump that Id rather not use, I would like to buy a tank with pump in it instead. The ones I have looked at say the pump is set at 58 psi fuel pressure and the fast system says I need 43 psi. On the fast system the regulator is after the throttle body which to me seems backwards,so if I want to have 43 psi and an in tank pump do I have to run a regulator before and after the throttle body? Does anyone know the fast system well enough to answer my question or should I just go to fast? Thanks for any help, Moose

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome Moose.

The regulator can be anywhere in the fuel system, so having it after the throttle body is fine. Tanks, Inc. makes a tank where the flue pump is inside. Just plumb a line from the tank to the TB, then back to the tank.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Ok. I have looked at tanks inc. and the tanks with pumps say they have more pressure than fast calls for so you are saying run my fuel line to the TB over to the regulator and as long as the pressure at the regulator is set at 43 Im ok ? and on my handheld controller it is set to the proper pressure.I was looking at a tank and pump setup from ecklers also I would like one ready to just put in the car and hookup. Thank you for your time brother. moose

Quote Originally Posted by mooses70camaro427 View Post
      Ok. I have looked at tanks inc. and the tanks with pumps say they have more pressure than fast calls for so you are saying run my fuel line to the TB over to the regulator and as long as the pressure at the regulator is set at 43 Im ok ? and on my handheld controller it is set to the proper pressure.I was looking at a tank and pump setup from ecklers also I would like one ready to just put in the car and hookup. Thank you for your time brother. moose
      The Tanks, Inc. gas tanks do not have any sort of regulator built in. It is just a tank and the pump goes inside. For your purposes, I would think that a tried and true Walbro 255l/hr pump will suffice. It would be helpful to know exactly which FAST system you have.

If, as you said, there is a regulator in the system, all you need to do is run a line from the tank to the system, then a return back to the tank.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

ok thanks that is what they call for is 255 lph, i have the fast ez efi part is 30227 it is not the 2.0 system its the one before that, I have the master kit that came with the inline pump but id rather not use it if i dont have to

If you put the regulator after the throttle body with a return line to the tank the system pressure at the throttle body will be what you set the regulator to. Essentially the pressure between the pump and regulator will be more or less the same. This is the easiest on the pump and keeps fuel circulating all the time.

Hey guys Im new here and just signed up, my name is moose, Im from wa state and its super cold here right now but here is my question. I have a fast efi system Im going to put on my new sbc stroker 427 in my 70 camaro and in my kit there is an inline fuel pump that Id rather not use, I would like to buy a tank with pump in it instead. The ones I have looked at say the pump is set at 58 psi fuel pressure and the fast system says I need 43 psi. On the fast system the regulator is after the throttle body which to me seems backwards,so if I want to have 43 psi and an in tank pump do I have to run a regulator before and after the throttle body? Does anyone know the fast system well enough to answer my question or should I just go to fast? Thanks for any help, Moose
      Moose:

Some in-tank pumps are contained in "modules" that have a pressure regulator built into the module, intaernal to the tank. A number of LS based platforms use this type of arrangement. In your case, if you have a tank that has an in-tank fuel pump module with the pressure preset at 58 psi, (common for LS engines), you can just run your fuel supply line to the throttle body unit, and run a return line back to the tank (as mentioned in previous posts). The regulator that's built into the throttle body will reduce the system pressure to 43 psi, and the 58 psi regulator in the tank will stay closed.

One important note: be sure that your return line back to the tank is at least as big as the supply line. Any backpressure between the throttle body mounted regulator and the tank will result in fuel pressure that varies with engine load (which you don't want). The lower the fuel pressure at the throttle body, the more important this becomes. Just size the return line the same size as the supply side, and you should be OK.

Travis

If you have much of a cam, and want good starting in anything resembling cold weather, the 2.0 is going to have better features and cold tuning. The early version does not. It's cold start is based off of base fuel tuning and it idles down very quickly, you can't add cold enrichment or prolong fast idle speed at all. There is a wire for air conditioning that normally runs to the AC clutch that can be used to increase idle speed.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com