Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

My 67 Cougar Build

I started this build a couple years ago. It is a slow build. And I mean really slow. I have posted some pics of the things I did in other threads but figure I'll include them here.

I started with this:

Last edited by 1bad68cat; 07-05-2017 at 08:43 AM. Reason: updated photo links

As I mentioned before I did some small things here and there. Here are a few pics of the front brakes I will be installing.

I did some prelimnary mock up with the coyote engine.

Along the way I built an engine lift fixture because I didn't feel comfortable with the lift brackets supplied with the coyote engine. I can see them bend as I lifted the engine. Getting the CG right also proved to be cumbersome with the supplied lift brackets.

To date, I have mostly installed the front suspension. Still need to weld upper control arm mount gussets, top coil over mount, and the down tubes. I'll tie the gussets, coil over mounts, and down tubes together.

Nice to see another Cougar, hehe. They are popping up a lot lately. Looks like a good start to an awesome build.

Small update. Fabbed and tacked the motor mounts in. Hope to finalize engine placement then install engine and transmission to fab up a transmission cross member.

Subscibing! I definitely want to drop a COYOTE on a cougar xr7 someday soon!

Another update. Mocked up my hydroboost to see if I can get it to clear the coyote engine. Results look promising. Used a reproduction Boss 429 Mustang brake booster wedge to tilt the hydroboost up. Still need to figure out what to do about the billet hood hinge interference and determine what the brake pedal ratio needs to be. If anyone has a later model mustang with hydroboost perferably the SN-95 (96-2004, prefer 2003-2004) variety would you mind telling me what the pedal ratio is.

This is definitely has my name written all over it... i am like searching for a clean cougar on the cl!

More updates.

Brake pedal mod for adapting an 03 cobra hydroboost to the cougar pedal support. I replicated the pedal ratio from the cobra.

Pedal support setup with hydroboost, S197 mustang hydraulic master, and roller bearing converison

Updates continued...

Used parts from the S197 mustang and adapted them to the cougar clutch pedal.

Hydroboost mounted using a reproduction Boss '9 mustang brake booster wedge to clear the coyote engine.

A few updates. Was able to roll the car out of the garage this weekend on it's own suspension. Finished welding in the upper control arm gussets, upper shock mounts, and frame boxing plates. Still need to weld in the down tubes and shock tower delete plates, but I will first fab up the transmission cross member so I can return the coyote motor to my buddy.

Hope the car is not sitting too low once the real wheels and tires are on.

Its coming along nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFraZZy View Post
      Its coming along nicely!
      Thanks DrFraZZy. I just wish it was coming along faster.

Looking Good! Maybe it's just the pics, but it looks like you have the motor sitting lower than most coyote swaps I've seen. Does the oil pan hang below the frame very much?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1842
Size:  175.3 KB

Your doing better than me.... My 69 has not been touched in over a year now..

Brian

Neat build.

I like your idea of using a S197 master cylinder for the clutch. It looks like you modified the pedal by adding a bit to one side so you could attached the end of the push shaft to it. But it also appears that the other end of the master will protrud past the firewall. Is that right? Are you planning on adding a panel or kickout of some kind to cover it up?

Also, assume this master cylinder would only work with a stock type hydraulic throw out bearing?

Nice work!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
      Looking Good! Maybe it's just the pics, but it looks like you have the motor sitting lower than most coyote swaps I've seen. Does the oil pan hang below the frame very much?
      Thanks Adam. The canton oil pan is just above the bottom of the cross member. As for the engine height, I believe it may be one of the lower ones based on photos I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by 69CougarXR7 View Post
      Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1842
Size:  175.3 KB

Your doing better than me.... My 69 has not been touched in over a year now..

Brian
      Brian, don't feel too bad, my projects have gone on for far too long. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Neat build.

I like your idea of using a S197 master cylinder for the clutch. It looks like you modified the pedal by adding a bit to one side so you could attached the end of the push shaft to it. But it also appears that the other end of the master will protrud past the firewall. Is that right? Are you planning on adding a panel or kickout of some kind to cover it up?

Also, assume this master cylinder would only work with a stock type hydraulic throw out bearing?

Nice work!
      Thanks Chunger. I only non-stock part is the angle iron I welded to the clutch pedal support to bolt the master to. Everything else is stock 67 or S197 parts just repositioned. The part where the master attached to the pin is part of the original pedal, just cut and clocked differently. The pin came from the S197 clutch pedal. The master protrudes past the firewall where the original clutch rod would pass through. Not sure how I got so lucky. I was expecting to have to make a new hole in the firewall . As for the seal, I'm using the one that came off of the S197 pedal support.

My intention was to use this with a stock type hydraulic throw out bearing so that when I have a failure, I could go to the parts store or dealer and get a new part. As for it working with other clutch hydraulic systems, I'm not sure what it may or may not work with. My other cougar has a CNC hydraulic clutch and the bore sizes appear to measure the same so I would assume it would work with that setup.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 1bad68cat View Post

Are those 14" or 15"?

Makes my 13's look woosie.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by fordsbyjay View Post
      Are those 14" or 15"?

Makes my 13's look woosie.
      Lol Jason. They are 15".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com