Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Great info. I have Viking coilovers ready to go on the fronts and double adjustables for the rears of my ‘64. Have never fooled with adjustable shocks before.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by _BQ View Post
      Great info. I have Viking coilovers ready to go on the fronts and double adjustables for the rears of my ‘64. Have never fooled with adjustable shocks before.

What spring rate did you go with on the fronts? I found that the 350# springs in the front go really well with the factory 140# leaf in the rear.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

It’s the 350s in the front. I am switching to a composite spring in the rear, so we’ll see how that goes. I believe the composite spring is 355 pounds.

If the composite spring doesn’t work out, I can put it on the ‘71.

It’s the 350s in the front. I am switching to a composite spring in the rear, so we’ll see how that goes. I believe the composite spring is 355 pounds.

If the composite spring doesn’t work out, I can put it on the ‘71.

Yea, Ill be curious to hear how that works....

As a reference, the stock small block springs were 280/140 with a 3/4 front sway bar and the big block/F40 springs were 550/305 with a 15/16 bar. With the added weight of the turbo set up, your small block MIGHT be approaching the weight of the factory big block. If thats the case, you may find that you're better off keeping that composite spring in the rear, and swapping the fronts out to the heavier Viking springs as well as upping the front sway bar diameter.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Yea, Ill be curious to hear how that works....

As a reference, the stock small block springs were 280/140 with a 3/4 front sway bar and the big block/F40 springs were 550/305 with a 15/16 bar. With the added weight of the turbo set up, your small block MIGHT be approaching the weight of the factory big block. If thats the case, you may find that you're better off keeping that composite spring in the rear, and swapping the fronts out to the heavier Viking springs as well as upping the front sway bar diameter.
      Yeah it’s one of those things I’m just going to have to try out and see. I added weight with the turbos, but we scrapped a lot of weight at the same time, between the accessories, new radiator and fan shroud setup, etc. Hopefully the weight gain was minimal. Won’t know until I get everything installed and start tuning the ride.

Name:  IMG_2825.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  126.7 KB

Well, the hood is on. I feel like that is a good sign.

Like pretty much everyone else, 2020 has put us through the ringer. There have been delays on this build but we’re moving forward and are finally approaching the finish line (fingers crossed).

The car is idling with no leaks. This is big progress. We also struggled with the cooling system holding air pockets and have remedied that situation as well. Only some minor tweaking to the final overflow setup and it’s finished.

These panels are fabricated to protect the hood just above the turbos. The location for these couldn’t have worked out better.
      Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  147.0 KB

Driveability tune is inbound. Then off to dyno.

Soon.

Stealthy, I like it! Sure wish I would have just knuckled down and bought one of these in my 20's when they were relatively cheap, they are the sexiest Corvette to roll off the line.

Size:  126.7 KBLike pretty much everyone else, 2020 has put us through the ringer. There have been delays on this build but we’re moving forward and are finally approaching the finish line (fingers crossed).
      I guess I get to be the exception, I made more headway on my turd this year than I have in a long time. I was fortunate enough to have time off with pay during the early part of the year. My wife was working at home so I spent a bunch of time in the garage to let her concentrate and the car saw some actual progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Stealthy, I like it! Sure wish I would have just knuckled down and bought one of these in my 20's when they were relatively cheap, they are the sexiest Corvette to roll off the line.

Size:  126.7 KBLike pretty much everyone else, 2020 has put us through the ringer. There have been delays on this build but we’re moving forward and are finally approaching the finish line (fingers crossed).
      I guess I get to be the exception, I made more headway on my turd this year than I have in a long time. I was fortunate enough to have time off with pay during the early part of the year. My wife was working at home so I spent a bunch of time in the garage to let her concentrate and the car saw some actual progress.

I just realized I posted my updates in the wrong 1964 Corvette thread. Sheesh.

My bad FlyNavy.

hahaha....the best part is, I read your update, and didn't even realize it was in my thread!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

LOL that’s awesome

Love the Stance of the Corvette. Excellent work and choices.

Nice mod's, great looking car..

Just found your build thread. I love the period road racer type look you are going with.

I'll tell you honestly though, There is something totally bad-ass about the simple, understated look with the black steelies.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Quote Originally Posted by jimco84x View Post
      Just found your build thread. I love the period road racer type look you are going with.

I'll tell you honestly though, There is something totally bad-ass about the simple, understated look with the black steelies.
      Agreed....I may get a set of black 17 inch steelies with some more modern rubber at some point....just to alternate the look a bit.

I really wish a set of vintage, made in the USA TT2s weren't $4500+ as thats what Id really like to have on the car.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I really wish a set of vintage, made in the USA TT2s weren't $4500+ as thats what Id really like to have on the car.
      That is a bunch of money for old 15 inch wheels. We both know that the right wheels can make or break the entire build, but I don't know if I could do $4500 for a set of wheels that wasn't pure track car. New repro TT2's are out there, but it just isn't the same. Not many wheels made in the USA at all anymore.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Agreed completely. Its hard to justify that amount for old 15" wheels when you can get a set of Made the USA Forgelines or CCWs for about that money. Since PS Engineering got bought up by Coker, who has not thus far continued to offer their wheels, there are no Made in the USA 15" wheels available.

The mini-lite repros made by Trans Am Engineering may be an option as they're made in Australia and have a good record on the track.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

They do look Sweet!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

This thread is long overdue for an update....though I don't have anything super exciting, as I've put more miles on the car, I've found plenty that needed fixing in the name of reliability.

We'll start with my failed attempt at a dyno tune. Theres a local shop race shop that also does tuning, so I made an appointment as I knew the car was running pig rich, and I was sure the timing could probably be tweaked a bit. Abacus Racing started by welding two bungs into the exhaust just downstream of the header collectors in order to be able to use a wide band O2 gauge with the car on the dyno.

All was looking good, but we found that timing was breaking up above 4K RPM to the tune of +/- 10 degrees...

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  282.1 KB

On further investigation, we found that the stock distributor had excessive up and down play....roughly 4 times the factory spec. I looked into rebuild options, but found they were all far more expensive and time consuming than just switching to an MSD distributor and box. Additionally, we found that the original water pump was puking its guts out at high RPM, so a new water pump was in order.

Name:  IMG_0888.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  425.2 KB

So I moved on to a Stewart STG 2 aluminum pump, with the appropriate thermostat, and the MSD billet distributor, ignition box, and coil. I mounted the box inside the car, under the glove box. A lot of people complain about the MSD boxes failing, but generally, those same people have the box mounted in the engine compartment near heat. I used one of the mounting holes in the firewall for the factory sound deadening to install an aluminum grommet and pass the wires to the distributor. I used the same trick with the coil mounting bracket so as to not drill any new holes.

Name:  IMG_0895.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  368.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0911.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  328.9 KB
      Name:  img_1039_0575eb9df5421f86c00288cb8b57a49586f1ba08.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  226.0 KB
      Name:  img_1050_bf01adb8a43558fdbea7d28ebe1b0e6f92b9b2d5.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  91.3 KB
      Name:  img_1089_07f7e4528e11aac9be4945da082de16901c89413.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  83.5 KB

I also cut up a custom set of wires using Accel's ceramic boot wires and some trick separators from Squeegs Hot Rods.

Name:  img_1234_ef1f6a1f7a5075b5522a3fa2266358019e7fc9fd.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  254.0 KB
      Name:  img_1232_69faee755197458eea3f68ff6ec2ff780c67fe2a.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  238.6 KB

Coming off the dyno, I also found that the factory half shafts were slinging liquified grease EVERYWHERE. So it was time for a rebuild...

Name:  img_0777_0427295ffe694d29130b3a233108c3ae57fbbb0c.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  122.0 KB
      Name:  img_0776_499da5842876d2a87e28e3095e9f7e05c26ac41a.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  85.7 KB
      Name:  img_0810_f6efd824e37fa20bec4b7b19b2d45dac077d0974.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  117.8 KB
      Name:  img_0814_7e44a0f0578ac6fb49b5e3164165e8d69af6bd68.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  206.8 KB

So that brings us pretty much up to speed. I've been driving the car regularly when the weather permits. It has a hard starting issue when its been sitting for a while, which I suspect is a fuel pump on its last legs...I have one on order. We're moving to Austin in June, so I need to get this thing completely sorted as I plan on a cross country road trip sometime in April to drop the car at our house and fly back as I dont trust Navy movers to move the car undamaged. Plus, I'm excited about a 4 day cross country drive taking only back roads in the car.

More to follow...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, new dyno appointment coming soon....
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

A Holley Terminator TBI with a dual sync dizzy will fix all your fuel and timing problems!

Great update! Still one of my favorite builds on this site!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

That is on the agenda, however its going to wait until we’re all moved to Texas as Im going to rewire the entire car, which will encompass the fuel injection and fuel system, cooling upgrade, and an instrument cluster restoration/modification.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com