Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

how to wire a relay switch to mini starter 64 F-85

Guys have a Bosch relay that I'm going to wire to a Power Master mini starter. As seen in the diagram I'm wondering what color wire on the ignition switch( start switch to 86) under the dash should I use or is there an easier way? Also going run a wire from the horn relay terminal to 30. This should solve my issues with the starter being to hot and not turning the engine over... Thanks__________________

Attached Images Attached Images  
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Country Flag: United States
      This relay diagram only takes the load off of the ignition switch (purple is the General Motors standard for starter solenoid). So unless your ignition switch is overheating, this will not solve your hot no-start issue. Usually a remote solenoid is what you would do to solve this, but the Power Master mini starter should have an "infinity clock" that lets you rotate the solenoid away from the headers.

The PowerMaster starters use the mounting plate as the ground. So make sure the block is clean, bare metal where the starter bolts to. I usually smear a bit of dielectric grease on this surface to prevent corrosion (ie: resistance) down the road
      Also make sure your engine to chassis ground and chassis/body to battery are good. Ive seen a few instances where the engine to chassis ground is at the starter mounting bolt
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Made a 1 gauge negative from the battery to the block, block grounded well from passenger head ground to the firewall. Contact surface between the block and starter are great. However, on this application the Power-Master is still very close to one of the header tubes, the mini it is wrapped in a insulator blanket. BUT, I'm going to recheck that point you made about "rotating the starter" a bit closer to the block if possible before "surgery". I beginning to wonder if the original 64 "purple" wire could have lost a few strands of wire at the S connection or whatever? Never had this issue with a mini on a vintage BB Olds in an early A body-64-67. It's driving me crazy-I have to remind myself it's a hobby....Thanks..
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com