Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
      Got a lot done this weekend. About 10 hours total, but I got the bed mounts fabbed and installed. I also verified the cab is leaning, so that explains the body lines not lining up. So, I removed the bed and welded the mounts and the rear cross member. Ill finish boxing the frame, add a tow hitch and some other supports. I still have to finish the 4-link welding too.

Im still working on my welding. I think Im getting better, but I still need work. The vertical welds look like catapillars for some reason. They are penetrating well, because I ground a few out to look at them. They were good, they just look funky. Im passable on a flat surface, but the vertical welds look weird. Maybe Im going too fast, but if I slow down it sags. Anyway, here are the pictures.

1st picture- rough bed mounts. They were cut, and cleaned up before installation.
      2nd- bed coming off.
      3rd- bed outside. Its getting easier. I got it this far by myself.
      4th- rear section. Bed mounts and rear cross member installed.
      5th- another angle. Still lots of work to do.
      6th- bed mount close up. The welds look funny to me. Im sure Im doing something wrong. Ill figure it out.

Attached Images Attached Images            

I'm no welder, but it looks like you need more heat in your welds. Thse look pretty sketchy to me.

Country Flag: United States
      Need more wire speed on that vertical pass and like stated maybe more heat
      My finished daily
      1966 Fairlane
      306 with 4R70W
      QA1 Coilovers,vintage air,

Current project
      1948 Ford F1
      Lexus SC400 IFS
      DOHC 4.6 with 4R70w

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      I'm no welder, but it looks like you need more heat in your welds. Thse look pretty sketchy to me.

I have ground out a few, and they are penetrating, just not like I know they should. Ill grind these flush and do them again with a higher setting. I have had several say its probably heat related. Plus, I was using a triangle pattern like I saw in a video, but I think Ill try a lazy circle, where I go up, then quickly dip back down in the puddle for a second, then go back up. Ill post results when I figure it out.

I only took one welding class, but we learned the circle technique, also. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I had a good 10-12 hours in the garage this weekend. Most of it was cleaning and welding. I went back and ground out some of the bed mount welds, and tried it again. But first I practiced on a spare angle piece I had, and tried a few things. Everything just looked like the caterpillar welds I was doing. I was talking to the welder at work, and he suggested I go top to bottom, and slow down. I felt that was counter-intuitive. Gravity would make the weld sag, but out of frustration, I tried it. And it worked. I turned the machine up a little hotter, ran the wire feed a little faster, slowed down a bit and went top to bottom. I think my nozzle angle was wrong also. They look much better.

So, I finished up the welding on the rearend, then I finished the shock mounts and the cross member, and the boxing plates behind the rearend. A lot of welding, but it turned out good, I think. Now I can clean it up, and paint the frame. I still have to get the tow hitch receiver and brace it up but thats almost all the frame work.

Top left- Caterpillar welds ground down. They were penetrating, but not good.
      Top right- Better. A little fat, but this is with no gap. I feel better about these.
      Middle left- Good position, a little gap between the material. This is what I think they should all look like.
      Middle right-Rearend out for final welding
      Bottom left-4-link brackets finally welded in place and ready for paint.
      Bottom right- This i with the rearend bottomed out, and hitting the frame. It should never get this high.

That's more like it.

You're moving in the right direction. Is that an 8 lug full floating rear?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      You're moving in the right direction. Is that an 8 lug full floating rear?
      Thanks. It is a Chrysler 8-3/4" with 5 lugs. It looks funny because I have massive 2" spacers on it to space the rear wheels out so the rear track is wider than the front. Im not going to change them until I put disc brakes on it to see if it gets worse, or I get the hellcat wheels.

I took today off, and ran to harbor freight for a few things. I got the tow hitch and got it put on. Im only looking to tow a small camper, so itll be less than 5000 lbs. I think itll be good and sturdy.

Welds are improving, but I still need work.

1st picture- I tied it into the cross member at the shock mounts.
      2nd picture-Better, but still working on it. Im learning
      3rd picture-Bad picture, but if you look closely, you can see the upright supports I added to the hitch.

My 32 Ford pickup had a receiver for a hitch "just in case". Good planning.

No pictures today, but I have been ordering parts and getting things figured out. Its cold today in Tennessee, so Im not spending a lot of time in the garage. I got the rest of the exhaust today-mufflers, h-pipe, clamps and hangers. I also got the fuel line and the throttle cable. I should get the gas pedal, battery terminals and a few other small parts this week. The goal is to get the truck to start ASAP. I still need a few parts, so it might be mid January, but its progress.

I had to solve a few issues on the IFS also. The a-arms are too short and the rod ends only have a few threads inside the a-arms on the top, and the threads from the steering rack dont go far enough into the tie rods either. Ill show it when I get it done, but I finally spent the time measuring and figuring out how to fix this. Im going to modify the a-arms with a tube and tube end, and maybe add a support of some sort. The steering is a mustang II style, and they make extended tie rods that add 1-1/2". Easy.

Ill post pictures as I go, but with the weather getting colder, I wont be able to stay in the garage as much. Plus Im also waiting on welder wire, so I cant do anything until it gets here.

I got the rest of my exhaust this week, So, I jumped in and started installing it. 2-1/2", with an H-pipe and flowmaster super 40s, and it dumps right after the rearend. Should sound good. I only took one picture.

Spent a few hours in the garage. Got the exhaust finished and installed. I also got a lot of tiny details done. Made a few trips to the hardware store and picked up a few nuts, bolts and washers. So, I have been working on getting the engine ready to start. The throttle cable and bracket, the valve covers, the distributor cap and wires, the carburetor and a few other item are done. I also got the gas tank installed. The clipnuts for the top of the tank were broke, so I made some brackets and welded some nuts on them. They work, so I guess its good. Im still not 100% on the battery installation. Its going to stay here for now. I might move it later, again, but it stays for now.

Next Im going to finish the brakes before we try and start the truck. I have one line and two fittings left, but these brakes have just killed my motivation. I am so over the brakes. It has been a nightmare. But a friend told me about a place that probably has the special fitting I need. Ill try and finish them this week.

Im going to try and start the engine soon. I have a few more details to get done, but I have almost a week and a half off at Christmas. Im going to get e few more things and go as far as I can over the holiday.

Picture 1. Engine bay. I got a lot of details taken care of on the engine this week end.
      Picture 2. Exhaust is finished now.
      Picture 3. Gas tank installed, with new lines.
      Picture 4. Battery installed. Still needs a strap, though.

Keep at it! You'll get there.

I would really like to get you excited about one of the single four efi systems. It would be easy to install at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      I would really like to get you excited about one of the single four efi systems. It would be easy to install at this point.

I wont be leaving the carb. I hate edelbrock carbs anyway. But its what I have. My goal is to swap in a 5.7 hemi later. But if that doesnt work out, then Ill build a 360 for it, which will get EFI. Im currently looking into it, but as it stands, I can get a used 5.7 hemi from a truck or durango that will make 400 hp with headers and a tune, for about $3k (with the headers and a tuner). To make 400 hp with a 360 isnt hard, but it would put me in the same ballpark, without EFI. Of course, the hemi is much more expensive to mod from there, so if I do that, Im probably done. Heads and cams are outrageous for these engines.

Nothing wrong with the battery location, in fact I plan to do something similar only mounted to the passenger side. But, I think I'd enclose it a little to keep road debris from hitting it. A thin metal or plastic shield can be screwed into the brace underneath, and a plastic cover across the front so road debris can't fly up into it. A thin piece of metal debris could conceivably fly up when you drive over it and cross the terminals together the way it is.

It will get some sort of strap and protection, I just havent decided on what. I got military spec terminals for the battery posts, and they come with silicone covers, that cover the entire terminal. I might end up relocating the battery eventually. Im just tired of worrying about it, so its staying here for now. Ive spent way too much time thinking about this battery mount.

Those milspec battery terminals are nothing to look at (much like me, hur hur hur,) but from a functional standpoint they can't be beat. When I replace a battery terminal they're my go-to every time.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com