Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
      I have been busy. I had the week off, and I have basically lived in the garage.

I started to bleed the clutch and realized the slave cylinder leaked. So I have another one on the way. I guess thats what I get for buying cheap. Brand new and leaks. I finished the brake lines and got new shoes and wheel cylinders, so they are going in soon. I finished the driver side inner fender well, and started the passenger side. I got the front end assembled along the way, and a few more details. I have a radiator on the way, with a fan and shroud and some silicone hoses. I also have battery straps and a few fittings coming.

The goal for the week is to finish the wiring tomorrow and check the lights and all the wiring. Then Ill finish clamping the lines and wiring underneath, install the wheels and roll it outside to finish painting the frame. Then I want to start the truck. I know I cant run it long without a radiator, but I want to make sure everything works the way it should. If it turns over and starts, Ill add a few gallons of gas and see if it will idle. Plus I want to see how it sounds.

I have a few big items left to buy, but Im getting there. I still need shocks and a driveshaft, and probably a few hundred little things because thats how this thing is going. The shocks are easy, but they will cost about $1200. The driveshaft is trickier. There is no slip yoke on the transmission, and I havent seen a driveshaft for a short bed D100 with the NP435. Im going to just call a driveshaft place and see what they can do. With the parts I have and the ones coming in the mail, I can move the truck under its own power, with a driveshaft.

I extended the tie rod ends too. They were short, and only had about 6 or 7 threads inside the tie rod. I bought some threaded rod and welded it on the tie rod. There were several ways to fix this, but this seemed to be the easiest. The IFS came with the extended mustang II tie rod ends, and they cant be rebuilt or have the ball joint replaced. Ill make some later with the other 2 bungs and they will be rebuildable. The ones I have now are an inch longer, so it has probably 18 to 20 threads inside the tie rod.

Here are the pictures...Sorry, Im having a fit posting pictures. For some reason this site fights me with posting pictures.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Country Flag: United States
      If your local driveshaft shop doesn't make you happy, I used Shaftmaster's a few years ago. They were reasonably priced and gave good service.

I have tried to load more pictures. They are in the folder in my signature I think. Im having issues here getting them to load from the computer. Ill share a link to the folder as well until this gets resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      If your local driveshaft shop doesn't make you happy, I used Shaftmaster's a few years ago. They were reasonably priced and gave good service.

Thank you. Ill have to call a local shop and see. Im not sure how the driveshaft will work. It seems there is a slip yoke in the driveshaft for the 4 speeds, so Im not sure what they can do. The long beds had a support bearing in the middle, but I dont think the short beds did. I cant seem to find any pictures or confirmation on this. The truck as we bought it was an automatic. The 4 speed came from the parts truck, which was a long bed. I may just have to haul the truck to them and see what they can do.

Worked all day today, and got a few things done. I sorted out the wiring, except for the blinkers. Everything else works, even the hazards, but the blinker dont. I think its the column. I even bumped the engine over 2 or 3 times to make sure it didnt burst into flames. I also secured the brake lines and wiring harness to the frame, instead of the zipties that were holding everything. I mounted the wheels, and lowered the truck back on the ground to get a look.

Weather permitting, tomorrow Ill roll it outside and paint the rest of the frame. Last time I did it in the garage and it stunk the house up for days. Oops. Im also going to mount the doors and hood and set the bed back in place if I can. I have to make wood blocks for the bed and drill for the bolts. I want it to look like a truck. I have a bunch of parts coming, so when they get here, Ill try and start it. Im also going to get some 2x4s and make some wheel platforms for it. I still need to get under it a little more, but I hate working under jack stands. I have a friend who lost his dad when a suburban fell on him. He was on gravel, which is a bad idea, but I still dont like it.

I might wash it again, but Im not done with the grinding yet. Anyway, pictures...

Top 3 are from today. Bottom 2 are from yesterday, and I managed to get them to post. The driver side inner fender is finished until paint, the passenger side is half way.

You're still making progress.

I got the truck outside for awhile today. My wife helped me paint the rear of the frame. I installed the doors, hood and bed....and they all fit like crap. I have a ton of work to do to line it all up. Plus there is some mystery body work that needs fixed first. I just wanted to see the truck together.

I know it's rough in person, but you're on the right track. It's gonna be a sweet ride!

Woo Hoo!

I started a few things this weekend. I got my radiator in, so I started fabricating a mount for it. It seems I didnt measure the hole right, or the radiator was a little wider than expected, but it was super tight, so I modified the core support. I needed the radiator to be as far forward as possible because of the electric fan. It would have fit without cutting, but It was going to mess up the radiator over time. Plus I had been trying to figure out how to make a smooth transition into the radiator support/core support area, so this fixes that also. i think it looks good myself. I still need to work on the inner fender wells to make them look better, but Ill do that after I get them all fabbed. Also it is a 3 pass radiator, so the bottom hose is on the opposite side. I never planned on using stock radiator hoses, because I want to install a 5.7 hemi eventually. This radiator should cool up to 700 hp, which Ill never make. I got one of those AFCO hose kits that should work, but it will need a few additional pieces.

Here are the pictures. I didnt do a lot today. I woke up with a headache, and its getting worse. So I called it quits.

I started the brakes, and immediately found the right side and left side rear cylinders had different side hardware...so it was off to the hardware store for some grade 5 bolts. I needed to get the clutch slave cylinder and some more brake cleaner anyway.

Im thinking about maybe starting it briefly tomorrow. I feel motivated, because I got the F100 started today. I had ordered the carb and it came in. $280 bucks, but it runs and idles pretty good. It needs the timing set, so Ill work on that soon.

Anyway, 2 pictures for now. I got the oil lines run. I ran hard line up to the inner fender, and then the silicone lines to the engine. I think it looks good.

Nice.

I havent posted in a few days, but Im working on things. I had to take a break from the truck for a week or two because of funding and other priorities. Our electric bill was about double what it usually is, and I dont understand it. I was welding and grinding all summer and it never got about $200. It was over $300 this month...crazy.
      I also had a death in the family, so I had to visit the family and things.
      And, I got a deal on a welding table. I have been using one of the fold-up tables from Northern, with a 3/16 plate on top of it. It worked okay, but it was low and it killed my back. Plus it was a small table so it got cluttered fast.

The new table is old and a bit rusty, but its taller, and more than twice as big. It needs work so Ill deal with it when the weather turns. Its too much rust floating around in the garage to do it with the door closed. Ill get the rust off of the table, make some mods, and paint it.

Im going to add a "leaf" on both sides and extend it. It is currently a 3 x 4 top, and its 3/8 thick. Ill extend it about a foot with removable leaves that slide into receivers. Ill make one to hold the drill press and belt sander too. I will make it so they come off and can be swapped easy and used on either side. Then Ill paint it. Should be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdad View Post
      I havent posted in a few days, but Im working on things. I had to take a break from the truck for a week or two because of funding and other priorities. Our electric bill was about double what it usually is, and I dont understand it. I was welding and grinding all summer and it never got about $200. It was over $300 this month...crazy.
      I also had a death in the family, so I had to visit the family and things.
      And, I got a deal on a welding table. I have been using one of the fold-up tables from Northern, with a 3/16 plate on top of it. It worked okay, but it was low and it killed my back. Plus it was a small table so it got cluttered fast.

The new table is old and a bit rusty, but its taller, and more than twice as big. It needs work so Ill deal with it when the weather turns. Its too much rust floating around in the garage to do it with the door closed. Ill get the rust off of the table, make some mods, and paint it.

Im going to add a "leaf" on both sides and extend it. It is currently a 3 x 4 top, and its 3/8 thick. Ill extend it about a foot with removable leaves that slide into receivers. Ill make one to hold the drill press and belt sander too. I will make it so they come off and can be swapped easy and used on either side. Then Ill paint it. Should be nice.

Sorry for your loss! I'm afraid everything is going to go way up in cost over the next 4 years.
      Truck looks great!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

I've liked watching your progress, working on one as well

Ron Schwarz

Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      I've liked watching your progress, working on one as well
      Thank you. Thats a nice project. Im guessing 1971?

Yes a 71
      Ron Schwarz

I can help explain your utility bill. Years ago, companies had "take or pay" contracts for the materials needed to make energy. Set price in the summer so if you used all you had committed to, you were happy. Most have discontinued that. The cost of creating energy fluctuates with market demand. Those of us with natural gas see prices spike in high demand like the last couple of months. If you look at your bill, it may have a breakdown of the cost per kw in a couple of different line items.

Went to the scrap yard with a friend and picked up some metal to make an extension. I wanted the ability to clamp in the middle of the table, and still be able to lay something long across it. I also wanted a grate for plasma cutting. So, I used my scrap metal for an extension, and made up a grate. The extension is tacked on for now. It will probably stay. I think I want the plasma grate to be removable. Plus Im going to add a metal chute or funnel that sends the slag into a bucket. Im a little nervous using the plasma cutter in the garage. Ive seen a few done the way I want so it shouldnt be too hard. This is all scrap metal, so some of it was a little bent, and it was all rusty. Plus I still need to make some bench tool mounts for the drill press, the sander and the saw, and they need to be removable as well.

This should be the last set of table pictures, I dont want this turning into a welding table thread. Im back on the truck this week, finishing up the brakes, and possibly pushing it outside for a full attempt to start it if the weather cooperates. I did manage to get the battery cables and the hold down straps done. I havent secured the cables yet, but I will. I need the truck higher off the ground to get under like I need to. I might go back and get more scrap and make a set of wheel stands.

The grate is just sitting on the end of the table. Ill clean the table up really good this summer, and paint the lower portion, but that will be after all the mods are done.

Got to work on the truck again this weekend. I started off making a stand for the cutting grate on the table Friday. The grate comes out, and Ill be able to put another "leaf" on that side. I dont have enough metal to make a different leaf, so Im done for awhile. And like I said, I dont want this turning into a welding table thread. Its handy for sure, and much bigger. Its 78 inches overall with the temporary leaf.

Anyway..the truck. I got the rear drum brakes on....and I would just like to say I HATE drum brakes. I know that might cause a few feathers to ruffle, and that isnt my intention. I know they have some advantages, but Im just not a fan. A few weeks ago I put rear brakes on my daughters car, and the spring tool slipped, like it always does, and I punched the fender. My hand still hurts, and now Im out there trying to do it all over again. I didnt punch anything this week, so thats a plus. That emergency brake lever sucks too, especially when you forget to put it in and have everything else in. I know, Im an idiot, but holy cow. I took all this apart about 3 years ago, and fully expected to either put it back sooner, or go with disc brakes. Im probably still going to put rear discs on it eventually. But the wheels are on now, and I just need to bleed the brakes and check for leaks.

I also got the radiator mount roughed up, and the last portion of the inner fender well is almost done. After looking it over, my wife and I have decided to not use those ugly blue hoses for the coolant. It seemed like a good idea, but they are just ugly. Im going to use 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" exhaust tubing, and weld up some coolant hoses, then we will use straight rubber unions. I bought a tubing bead roller die from Mittler brothers, that will do the tubing, and we have a bead roller from those guys at work. Ill weld up the shape I want, and roll a bead on the end. And I welded up a 3/16 plate to the front crossmember. I dont have pictures of that, but its such a convenient jack point, with the truck being so low, but it tended to flex with all the weight. The plate should help, and Ive already used it twice today.

After I get that done, Ill make another attempt to start it up. I want all the fluids in it first. I feel like Im getting close now. The only big items left are a driveshaft and shocks. The shocks will be almost $1300. Im not sure about the driveshaft. I think I need one of those slip joints, but I need to talk to the driveshaft shop first. I know I have a hundred little details left, but Im getting there.Name:  20210306_183803.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  90.2 KBName:  20210306_154852 (1).jpg
Views: 915
Size:  114.7 KBName:  20210306_154844.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  97.5 KBName:  20210306_154826.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  90.3 KB

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com