Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

1967 Dodge D-100 (Isaacs truck)

2nd attempt.

Bought this truck as a father/son project and as his first car. He loved it. We worked on it until he got sick and passed away in March of 2018. He asked me to finish it, so I am.

We bought the truck, knowing it need some work. I didnt know anything about these trucks, and I have never built a car. Ive installed engines, and speed parts, even rewired a few myself. Never anything of this scale.

I bought a parts truck, a long bed-camper special from Oklahoma and brought it home for the tailgate and benchseat. It had a few good parts otherwise, so it wasnt a bad investment. After looking int it, and reading constantly over the winter, it was determined the frame under his truck was junk. So, the stripping began.

Here https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...aN?usp=sharing is the link to a folder with a lot of pictures. Im going to attempt to post some more pictures. The last time, they were sideways. Im using a chromebook so I might not be able to fix it. Here goes

Name:  IMAG0170.jpg
Views: 4115
Size:  245.9 KB

The way it looked when we bought it. Thats a 71 grill, but it is a 67.

Name:  20180825_140428.jpg
Views: 4139
Size:  221.6 KB

I dont know why they are sideways. Anyway, this is it now.

Name:  20180825_140522.jpg
Views: 4094
Size:  204.8 KB

The wheels are from my charger. 20s with 245 tires. Thats the correct grill, but the wrong hood. I have the right year parts in storage.

Name:  20181229_114710.jpg
Views: 4349
Size:  193.9 KB

Pulled the cab and bed from the parts frame.

Name:  20190126_162514.jpg
Views: 4014
Size:  265.7 KB

In the middle of shortening the frame. Thats my (probably) future son-in-law getting ready to weld. He is certified, Im not.

I dont know why the pictures are sideways. I cant flip them. I guess itll be okay.

Country Flag: United States
      Again, welcome. Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

A few more things;

Originally, we wanted to just add fuel injection and go. The truck currently has a roller cam 318 from a mid 80s dodge truck, and some auto trans. It also has the chrysler 8-3/4, which Im keeping. I have the dana 60 from the parts truck, but Ill sell it.

For right now, we are shortening the frame (the parts truck was a long bed) and then we will box it. I have to modify at least one cross member, and probably remove or relocate another. Thats where Ill need some help from this forum. So its shorten, box, then I have an IFS to install (uncle jimmys) and a triangulated 4-link. It will sit on coil overs too. Ill be redoing the brake lines because the IFS has disc brakes, but the lines wouldnt work anyway. Plus with the 4 link I would wind up redoing them anyway.

After frame and suspension mods, Ill re-assemble the truck as is and drive it. Ill do body work/sheetmetal repairs on and off while gathering parts for round 2.

Round 2 will be a modern Hemi. Isaac wanted a hellcat motor, but I dont have $25k. Ive seen how much work went into project Cottonmouth, so the V-10 is out also. He loved vipers. Ill settle for a 5.7 or maybe a 6.4 and a 6 speed. Then Ill re-do the interior to mimic my interior on my RT but with an old feel to it. Nothing fancy. Itll be a driver. Not a track truck, but I want it to hold its own. Hoping to have it together this year.

Great start and excited to watch the progress.

Sorry about your sons passing. I'm glad you will have this truck to remember him with. Great job putting that 67 grill back in. This is absolutely my favorite old truck front end. The headlight dishes are just the coolest look.

I am sorry to hear about his passing. I would say that there isn't a better tribute than to finish this truck. Please keep us updated.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Condolences on your sons passing, If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to reach out....

PS. If you resize the pictures smaller, they usually post right side up..

My sympathies for the loss of your child. I hope the project provides some kind of therapy.

Thank you guys for the condolences. Its a rough time of the year, but I try and stay busy. I am still working on getting the frame shortened. My cuts were not as perfect as we would have liked, so we have some fill in to do. Plus we are learning a new welder. Stephen (the welder) is certified, but he uses industrial equipment all day so its a learning process for us both. Plus Im having fits trying to get the TIG portion of the welder setup. The welder I bought from home depot is a multi process machine-TIG/STICK/PLASMA. I got a bottle of argon, and a regulator with a flow gauge, but the hose provided with the welder doesnt seem to fit anything readily available for the the regulator. l Hope to have it ready this week. I just got the garage wired for 220 last week, and that helped a little.

My next project is boxing the frame, and modifying the crossmembers. Thats where Ill need some guidance. I know I need the crossmembers, but with the newer transmission and the 4 link almost all the crossmembers are wrong or in the way. Ill wind up having to change most of them. Im not really sure how to do this. I dont need a race truck, but it needs to handle well. So Ill need guidance on whats right and wrong, and what will be too much for me and the truck. I have access to some decent equipment, but its mostly just me in the garage with what I have. If I need to cut anything big Ill have to take it too work, or have Stephen do it at work.

Im spending a lot of effort on the frame now because I dont want to pull it back apart later. I know its only getting a 200 hp(maybe) 318/auto, and an IFS/4-link is overkill, but once the frame is done and the truck is back together, Ill start planning the future engine/trans combo. I know what I want, but I dont know if Ill get it.

I got the tig portion of the welder going, after 2 weeks of setbacks. It works great. I really like the little welder. We are going to try the plasma cutter tomorrow so we can say we have used all 3 processes.

We got the frame splices looking much better, but still have some clean up. Apparently trying to weld it with the stick on 110 caused some pourosity. We have ground out all of that, and we are filling now. It worked better on 220, but the tig is much better. We also got the forward-most boxing plate on the passenger side done, and tacked the motor mount in place. Next I will clean up the drivers side, cut the motor mount and install the boxing plate. The we will work our way back. Progress.

Name:  20190216_181500.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  241.9 KB

Welded boxing plate and tacked motor mount. Stephen said he will make another pass along the top to fill it in. The mount will stay tacked, until the IFS goes in to make sure it doesnt have to move.

Name:  20190216_151142.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  249.4 KB

At the splice, but it looks much better now. Ill post another picture when its cleaned up all the way. We will add an outside tie plate that will also serve as a base plate for the 4 link, and then the entire frame will be boxed also.

My dad had one of those trucks it was a 3/4 ton camper special. He used it for hauling cedar shack bolts among other things. I believe that there is another build .Its a green truck with a Viper powertrain and a bunch of other modifications

I found this forum because of the "Cottonmouth" build, which is a 67 d100 with a V10. Im following his build, and shamelessly copying some of his ideas. Its going to be a great truck. The frame I am using came from a d200 camper special. Thats the frame we are modifying now, the long d200 frame.

Got quite a bit done this week. Until I get the sideways pictures resolved, Ill just keep posting pictures in the folder that is in my signature. There are a bunch of pictures in there.

We got the front and rear suspension off the frame, and got the frame boxed to the second cross member. We will leave the next section unboxed until we test fit everything. Im going to set the cab, fenders and bed on the frame in the next couple of weeks, so I can set the ride height. The front IFS has me make some setup bars that mimic the coil overs at a compressed state. Seems simple enough. Ill have to do the same for the rear also. I think Im going to get some rear shock from Viking. They seem to be recommended here a lot. Ill have to see what spring rate they suggest, and if they can tell me how long to make a set up bar in the mean time.

If your interested, take a look in the folder. It shows the parts truck, and how far we have come with it. Its been mostly me, with some harbor freight tools. I have Stephen (future son-in-law) doing the welding. You can see some of his welds in the album too. They look pretty good to me. He has been helping a lot lately. Want to give credit where it is due. Ive also tricked my wife and even on occasion two of my daughter into helping me. There is only so much you can do solo.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdad View Post
      Got quite a bit done this week. Until I get the sideways pictures resolved, Ill just keep posting pictures in the folder that is in my signature. There are a bunch of pictures in there.

We got the front and rear suspension off the frame, and got the frame boxed to the second cross member. We will leave the next section unboxed until we test fit everything. Im going to set the cab, fenders and bed on the frame in the next couple of weeks, so I can set the ride height. The front IFS has me make some setup bars that mimic the coil overs at a compressed state. Seems simple enough. Ill have to do the same for the rear also. I think Im going to get some rear shock from Viking. They seem to be recommended here a lot. Ill have to see what spring rate they suggest, and if they can tell me how long to make a set up bar in the mean time.

If your interested, take a look in the folder. It shows the parts truck, and how far we have come with it. Its been mostly me, with some harbor freight tools. I have Stephen (future son-in-law) doing the welding. You can see some of his welds in the album too. They look pretty good to me. He has been helping a lot lately. Want to give credit where it is due. Ive also tricked my wife and even on occasion two of my daughter into helping me. There is only so much you can do solo.
      Actually you should make your setup bars for the shocks at mid stroke, not collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
      Actually you should make your setup bars for the shocks at mid stroke, not collapsed.

Oh, okay. Maybe thats the way it is set up. The setup bars are shorter than the shocks. So, then I should be able to set my rear end ride height where I want using set up bars, then I can assume I need shocks that are the same length as the set up bars, at mid stroke. Ill have to see what length shocks are available, and what their stroke is too. I dont want some random number.

Im going to attempt to post a picture. Hopefully my resize will stop it from flipping sideways.

I got a ton done today. Im thankful for Stephens help. He has been helping a lot for the past few weeks. It helps a bunch.

We didnt weld any this weekend; I stunk up the garage by spilling fuel on the floor, so we were worried about the fumes. So we went after the cab and old frame. I knew the frame was bad, but I didnt know it was that bad. Here is the picture for reference.

Name:  20190302_143503.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  454.0 KB

The welds were done poorly, and werent even complete. The forward cab mount came off by hand. The frame was spliced in several places, and even sectioned it appears. It was bolted, but even that was done wrong. Even the mufflers, which were Isaacs favorite part of the truck, are unusable. The PO used one that was 3" inlet/outlet, the other was smaller, so he cut it and welded it. Of course it was the same unacceptable quality of welding, so they are in the junk pile with the frame. Incredible someone sold me this truck, knowing it was for a teenager who planned on driving it.

For the rest of the pictures, see the folder.

Ill start sorting through what I have over the next few weeks. I have to look at the cab, and the engine and the transmission, and I have to make a few decisions on them.

I would say "it's always darkest before the dawn" but that isn't really the case here. You will formulate a plan based upon the skills available to you and the ultimate goal and proceed. If it's passed your skill set and desire level, I don't think anybody will fault you. Best wishes.

I have been past my skill set for months. But, I have always wanted to build a car from the ground up, I just didnt want to get it the way I did. I am learning a ton. About the only thing Im just not going to do is the paint and body work. I have never been, or will ever be a body guy. The rest of it, I can figure out. I might ask a bunch of seemingly silly questions, but Ill get it. If I cant figure it out, Ill find someone who can.

Thank you for the well wishes.

We got a few things done this week. More photos in the folder. Stephen started the patch plates, but ran out of gas. Ill have to get more this week. I got the rear end out of the old frame, and in the garage to start stripping it. But that brings up another decision.

I have a chrysler 8-3/4" rear end, and a dana 60. The 8-3/4 comes with the removable center section. It should take around 500 hp, and I certainly wont have that for awhile. The dana 60 weighs more, and doesnt have the removable center section, but Ill never break it. Its the heavy duty 9-3/4" beast. It also has 8 lug axles, so Ill have to change those right away. Tell me what you think. 8-3/4" for gear changes in under an hour, or the dana that wont break?

We have done a few things over the last few weeks. We finished the welding under the cab. I got the engine cleaned, and the carburetor rebuilt. Its not perfect, but its much cleaner. I also verified it is a roller cam engine. Not that it matters much. The plan is to replace the engine with a modern hemi. But we worked our butt off and got the cab set on the frame. I havent leveled the cab yet, as I have to figure out how. Im reusing the rear cab rubber isolators. But the front had a stack of several washers and rubber bushings about 1/2" thick. Ill set the bed, and the fenders and check the body lines.

The next step is to level the cab, make sure its straight, then set the suspension front and back. I know we are slow, and its frustrating some times. But, I work on helicopters not classic trucks. We are learning as we go, and having to figure things out as we run into them. Neither Stephen or myself have ever built a car, much less gone this far into one. Its fun, but crazy. So many things to figure out.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com