Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: UK

T56 magnum transmission

hello all i have a T56 magnum transmission just wondering which oil you all use . cheers kev

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by KEV 190164 View Post
      hello all i have a T56 magnum transmission just wondering which oil you all use . cheers kev
      What does Tremec recommend? They used to recommend ATF in the older T56 transmissions. I run Amzoil ATF in mine, but I do not have the carbon blocker rings that the Magnum uses. You can also see what is called for in newer cars that use the TR6060, which is what the T56 Magnum is.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Straight off the Tremec Website.

Q: What type of fluid does TREMEC recommended?
      A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh™ (GM Part # 88861800) – or equivalent, or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF

I 2nd oleyeller. I have been using the Mobil 1 Syn ATF and all has been well.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I called Tremec and they recommended ATF so I use Mobil 1 ATF in my T56 Magnum.

Really ? I just got one from Bowler and the tag says use gm synchromesh or the royal purple MTL. Is that really atf? I didn’t think so.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I spoke directly to tremec to discuss this, and they prefer any brand dexron III ATF. Specifically said brand does not matter. And it was suggested to use non synthetic, but that synthetic would be ok. I wanted to use the best oil I could buy, and they still suggested plain old dexron III

hmm.. Below is the tag Bowler ships with the Magnum these days. Just got this a week ago.

Calls for Synchromesh, which seems is thicker than DextronIII but thinner than 75W90 gear oil. Synthetic blend.
      https://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/v...ion-fluid.html

Name:  40033434743_254d09f391_b.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  266.5 KB

yet spec sheet clearly shows DexIII and sounds like that's also what Tremec is still recommending per your recent inquiry.
      http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6060_1017.pdf

Curious..
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Got input from Bowler. They say you can use either one just don’t use gear oil. Tremec is also selling their own fluid now which is not exactly ATF either.
      Anyway - Bowler says they like the Synchromesh best so that’s why they recommend it.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Been using GM or Pennzoil Synchromesh on everything, seems to be holding up great.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

We've used Royal Purple Synchromax and Driven Brands Synchromesh for several years now with absolutely no issues. We recently just refreshed a T56 Magnum that had been raced for 5 years on Royal Purple and it still looked new inside......
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Country Flag: UK
      i looked through an old message i got from dale from schwartz when i bought the t56 from you he recomended gm synchromesh so thats what i used

I was told 2 things. First off I was told to use Pennzoil syncromesh which is fine for normal driving and a moderate build making decent hp and tq. When I said I was 742HP and 689 TQ, he said I was better off with a high temp atf. I then asked about Redline hi-temp atf(snythetic). He said that it may be too slippery for the clutches. So what is a suitable option?
      I've read in the past where Royal Purple is NOT recommended and now it is - I am confused
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      ...I then asked about Redline hi-temp atf(snythetic). He said that it may be too slippery for the clutches. So what is a suitable option?
      I've read in the past where Royal Purple is NOT recommended and now it is - I am confused
      the tech maybe confused with auto transmission. I've heard similar stories about synthetic atf in autos. However, I don't think it doesn't hurt to use in manuals (there are no clutches inside the manual trans that I know of). I ran Walmart ATF in my TR6060 (bought it used) for awhile, then switched to Redline D4. The shifts are much smoother with the Redline fluid.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I don't have synchronizer gears in my T56 ;-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

We've always had the best luck with the Synthetic fluids in the Magnums. I've talked to guys who've used every brand out there and I honestly do not think that you can go wrong with any of them. I've yet to see any particular fluid cause a problem as long as it is an ATF or Synchromesh fluid going in. Like a lot of things, I think the good and bad stuff you hear about the fluids is based on personal brand preference. Like saying all Fords are junk because I like Chevys.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      the tech maybe confused with auto transmission. I've heard similar stories about synthetic atf in autos. However, I don't think it doesn't hurt to use in manuals (there are no clutches inside the manual trans that I know of). I ran Walmart ATF in my TR6060 (bought it used) for awhile, then switched to Redline D4. The shifts are much smoother with the Redline fluid.
      The synchro design has friction surfaces, the fluid you use will change the behavior of the surface interaction between the synchro pieces.

I use royal purple synchromax. It’s ATF designed for manual gearboxes.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      We've used Royal Purple Synchromax and Driven Brands Synchromesh for several years now with absolutely no issues. We recently just refreshed a T56 Magnum that had been raced for 5 years on Royal Purple and it still looked new inside......
      Same recommendation for a regular t56? 4th gen, etc.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by 68Cuda440 View Post
      The synchro design has friction surfaces, the fluid you use will change the behavior of the surface interaction between the synchro pieces.
      Didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com