Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running a rear axle cooler?

I purchased a surplus NASCAR 9" center section a few years ago while building Dust Off. This pumpkin came machined and plumbed for an internal oil pump but I never installed one. This past year I was experiencing higher than normal rear axle temps and also sprung an oil leak. So I just tore the rear axle apart to reseal everything and while I had it apart I decided to install the internal oil pump so I can run a cooler. This Tex Racing 9" oil pump is a pretty slick setup. I had to send my pinion gear out to G-Force South to have a drive hex machined into the end of it. I'm wondering if anyone else is running an oil pump in their 9".

Name:  9inchpump1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  9inchpump4.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  199.9 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Electric pump in this one. Typically waited till lap 2 or 3 before tuning it on. Now that it's mostly street driven it's seldom on.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I always wondered about these, and that is a pretty slick setup. May need an electric fan or to redirect air to the small radiator you will be using.

How hot is your gear oil getting? I have a temperature sticker on my 9" and it has never been above 190. I'm guessing you are close to 275 or so to be concerned?

Country Flag: Canada
      I wondered about this too ... Cadillac sts v's came with a rear cooler . Wondered if it would be a waste to put one on a street driven car

Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com