Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default GP Race Works 69 Camaro LT4 w/8 speed Build

Well Here Go's Nothing!

I'm starting with an all original never modified 1969 Camaro. The original owner had the car for all but 3 months of it's life before I bought it. I got the car at a great price considering its very good condition. As 61k original miles on it. This project started out as just the car needing a new brake line, or at least that's what I told my wife

Now it is a full blown build. Over the past few months I've tour the car down to just a shell with a little help from my 12 year old son. you'll probably see him in some of the pictures along the way.

The car will be getting a Roadster Shop SCEC chassis, a Connect and Cruise LT4 with 8 Speed automatic.

I've built a few cars over the years, the last being a Pro-Touring 67 Chevelle with a 502BB. However I've never done one as extensive or expensive as this build. I didn't set a budget because I will blow past it anyway..lol

Attached Images Attached Images    

Ordered the SPEC chassis about 23 weeks ago and it should be going into production and final assembly this week according to Phil over at Roadster Shop.
    It is set up with custom motor mounts for the Gen 5 LT4 and 8L90E 8 8 speed transmission. I went with the wet sump version but putting on the Holly oil pan.
    Name:  F144671325.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  30.2 KB

I may try the Fast Track chassis on the next build with the IRS, but want to see how this goes first.

I orderd the LT4 last week, but the 8L90E's are on back order. Hope to get it the same time as the chassis to get the test fit done while the car is out getting dipped.
    Name:  CPSLT48L90EW-500x500.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  56.4 KB

Hopefully I can drop the car to be dipped next week at Carolina Chem Strip.
    ]
    Name:  20190119_210241.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  197.2 KB

It's important to have good help!

Name:  IMG_20180908_155752.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  146.9 KB

Country Flag: United States

Nice progress!

Andrew
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
    Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm loving what your doing! It's going to fun to watch it go together. It looks like you've got a great helper there, enjoy your time together. subscribed!
    Wayne
    Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
    Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    Nice progress!

Andrew
    Thanks!

Original frame is solid. Anyone need a stock front subframe? PM me. $200 + shippingName:  20190118_203103.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  155.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
    I'm loving what your doing! It's going to fun to watch it go together. It looks like you've got a great helper there, enjoy your time together. subscribed!
    Thanks! Threads like yours will keep me motivated! You have been in it for the long haul on your project it seems. Nice quality work for sure!!

8L90E... are you sure about wanting to use one? I hope you're one who has them all figured out because I have one in my 2015 Denali 6.2L 8spd and hate it.. maybe you can tell me how to fix the 1 - 2 shift lag

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    8L90E... are you sure about wanting to use one? I hope you're one who has them all figured out because I have one in my 2015 Denali 6.2L 8spd and hate it.. maybe you can tell me how to fix the 1 - 2 shift lag
    Lol...I knew this was coming. Happy to report there is a fix for it. Here are 2 links:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...finally-fixed/

https://gm.oemdtc.com/492/informatio...rolet-corvette

Hope this helps!!

Awesome build. Subscribed for future updates!

Quote Originally Posted by GPRaceWorks View Post
    Lol...I knew this was coming. Happy to report there is a fix for it. Here are 2 links:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...finally-fixed/

https://gm.oemdtc.com/492/informatio...rolet-corvette

Hope this helps!!
    You have done your homework! I am excited to watch your build come along. This should be awesome!

latest and greatest from GM is that there will be a new trans fluid to correct the issue in the first quarter of 2019. They say the current fluid allows moisture to enter somehow through humidity and this is what is causing the issue now haha. My brother has an 8 speed in his silverado and has done everything but a custom TCM tune. Its been to the dealer a few times for a flush, trans tune and another flush. GM also stopped changing the torque converters too. My other brother has a SS with the 8 speed and it has no problems.

Your car should turn out awesome! I have a downgraded budget friendly similar project I'm working on if you want to check it out, link below. I may have an answer for you too if you have any questions. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...en-v-swap.html

Quote Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
    latest and greatest from GM is that there will be a new trans fluid to correct the issue in the first quarter of 2019. They say the current fluid allows moisture to enter somehow through humidity and this is what is causing the issue now haha. My brother has an 8 speed in his silverado and has done everything but a custom TCM tune. Its been to the dealer a few times for a flush, trans tune and another flush. GM also stopped changing the torque converters too. My other brother has a SS with the 8 speed and it has no problems.

Your car should turn out awesome! I have a downgraded budget friendly similar project I'm working on if you want to check it out, link below. I may have an answer for you too if you have any questions. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...en-v-swap.html
    I'll be on the lookout for the new fluid!! Nice build you have going.

Since we are talking about the 8L90, I thought I would share this:
    Name:  ps2006big1-480x365.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  12.1 KB

Looks like a killer project. I love that chassis!

New Project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Z51 brakes, 12 bolt

1976 T/A LS1, 6 Speed, C5 front brakes, and etc. SOLD

I thought I would give a few updates. I ordered the AutoRad radiator with core support. Jim has been awesome to
    deal with and very prompt in his response time. I know there are a lot of good companies you can get hight performance radiators from,
    like C&R. But here are the reasons i went with the AutoRad setup.

1. The core support they build has a larger core surface area. This along with the fact that it is all aluminum
    will dissipate heat better that the heat transfer to the stock steel support.

Name:  SA245_FULLBOOK_LSSwaps_Page_092_Image_0002.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  35.2 KB

2. The fit and finish for the end look I'm going for just looks better than a stock core support for a Pro-touring car.

Name:  eQZqgmx.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  47.4 KB

3. They offer the entire package in a black powder coat finish. One less step during the build for me to worry about.

Name:  2016-02-11_19-04-02.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  115.1 KB

4. Duel 14" fans. These will be set up to come on at different temperatures, 185/195

Here is a breakdown of what they are doing:

69 Camaro Rad/Core Support with Recovery Bottle
    LT4 Motor - Hose Conn on Pass Side, RS SPEC
    Sub-Frame Hideaway Headlights

Dual Fans/Shro... Dual Fans/Shroud (two 14" fans)

Filler Panels Filler Panels (2 upper panels & latch cover)

AC Condenser

Trans Cooler - Internal - High Performance

External Engine Oil Cooler

Inter-cooler - Air to Water

Auto Rad Radiator Cap

Dual Fan Control Dakota Digital Dual Programmable Fan Controller
    ( two - 70 amp Relays)

Black Matte Powder Coating all

I will let you know what I think once I get it

That's a beautiful setup! It should work sweet!!
    Wayne
    Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
    Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Anyone here have experience with Anvil Carbon Fiber parts?
    https://anvilauto.com/

Also, I made a Logo that i want to incorporate somewhere on the Camaro. I put it in my signature. Thoughts?

Country Flag: Canada

I have had experience with anvil ... chevelle parts , what's the question(s)?
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast