Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

"Sportsman Touring", perhaps? 1974 Pontiac GP from Alabama

Hi, all!

As a guy who has done nothing but drag racing all my life, I'm ready to walk away from that and do something different. I'm going to turn my '74 Grand Prix into a car that I can drive when I want, as well as autocross now and then, possibly some standing mile as well. Will it be fast? No. Will it go around corners like a C7? No. But That's not really the point. I'm ready to have fun again: go out to the track, be better than I was last weekend, and enjoy driving something "unique" around town.

I'm "somewhat" up to speed on the whole drag racing/horsepower thing, but I'm a total noob when it comes to what needs to be done here, so please bear with my seemingly idiotic questions LOL! Lots of mechanical and cosmetic upgrades already in the works.

Thanks!!

Travis Quillen

Name:  GPSJ.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  190.6 KB

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Welcome, and be sure to post the buld in the project car section
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Welcome.

There are lots of go-fast turn-quick goodies for your Grand Prix thanks the the circle track following. I tend to purchase suspension parts from the circle track crowd because they are resonabley priced and work well. You should have a pretty good selection.

As far as the power is concerned, are you looking to run with Pontiac power, or something different?

Have fun!

Hi Greg, Bill -

I intend to stick with Pontiac power. I'm familiar with them, and have some parts accumulated. I also have some SBC stuff, but other than parts cost, there's not a lot of benefit in going that direction. The Pontiac is quite light for its size; only 40 or 50 lb heavier than the SBC. If I need more power, turbocharging will be the next move.

Bill: where do you look for used circle track parts?

Travis

I normally buy new from Speedway Motors. When I look for used parts, I use Facebook marketplace or racingjunk.com. There is always craigslist.

I think using Pontiac power would be a nice change from the LS invasion. If you are familiar with Pontiac motors, you are already in pretty good shape.

Looking forward to your build. A buddy of mine had one of these in high school. Cool cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TQuillen View Post

Name:  GPSJ.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  190.6 KB
      Whatever happened with ‘Steve Jobs‘? Sure would like to hear that hawg-ass cam again. Just Re-listened to the Chief & Shawn podcast episode about this car and wondered if you ever did anything with it?
      1966 Caprice - L92/4L80e, Ridetech/Hotchkis Suspension
      Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Big-Black-quot

1989 Camaro Iroc Z G92 5-Speed (one of 300 as optioned). Bone Stock.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com