Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Sealing shifter hole?

What is everyone doing to seal the trans tunnel around the shifter that pokes through the top?

I plan on running a console with a nice boot to cover the stick, but shouldn't there be something else that would seal it up below that?

Thanks!

I would use an OEM style boot. It would be helpful to know what trans and car you are working with...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Oh, never thought to include that as I thought it would be pretty universal!

It's a T56 Magnum in a 67 Camaro, Bowler trans tunnel patch.

Thanks!

There are both leather and rubber type of shifter boots out there,it just depends on the shifter and the "look" you want.

He is looking for the seal under the boot.

I'm using a rubber boot underneath the console/shift boot. Summit has a wide range of them.

I'm curious as well, I actually just have some extra fuel cell foam down there to make up some of the gap under the shift boot. I'd like something that offers a bit more noise suppression more than anything, but it needs to be robust enough to handle trans movement.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I've gone junk yard diving and pulled a couple shifter seals from various stick cars. Cut them to fit.

You need the sheet metal shifter housing with the rubber inner boot/seal.

Make sure you have full range of your shifter handle before bonding the housing on with panel adhesive.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  26.7 KB
      Name:  FL119.JPG
Views: 1812
Size:  23.9 KB

Who makes that one ?
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Looks like both are for a 68-72 chevelle non console.

I’m in the same predicament putting my interior back together after an engine/trans swap. I was leaning towards using a piece of jute cut to fill the gap between the shifter base and the hole in the trans tunnel. Unless there’s a bettter idea out there.......

Country Flag: Canada
      During the early to mid 2000s GM used a big block of foam in their trucks. It would sit on the trans with the shift stick through the middle of it. When the cab was dropped on the frame the foam would seal against the floor.
      I would think you could do the same with a piece of closed cell foam. Open cell foam would have a tendency to hold water.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

I just saw that OP is using an aftermarket trans tunnel cover (Bowler) which has a flat top so need for the sheet metal part that I posted. Just drill holes for the boot.

One thing to keep in mind with these mods is to keep the shifter hole as small as possible and to weld shut or patch any left over holes with sheetmetal. Standard fire safety.

So this is a little bit bubba but here's what I've done in the past. Costs almost nothing.

I hate sheet metal screws sticking thru the tunnel so I make a ring that matches the pattern of the top shifter boot out of 1/8" sheet metal. In that ring I drill and tap for 10-24 button heads. I weld the 1/8" ring to the tunnel.

So to insulate the shifter tower in this case and mine I go down to the local tire shop that repairs big trucks and ask for a used inner tube. They are happy to give them away.

Those tubes are pretty thick. I cut the rubber to match the 1/8" ring. Then using a used rifle shell I punch holes to match the 1/8" bolt pattern.

Then I cut the shifter hole in the rubber with a rather tight fit. Still allows for trans movement.

Then bolt down the upper shifter boot down to the 1/8" ring.

If anyone is interested to wade through my Cougar build thread, I have pictures of what I did. I used thin closed cell foam with mass loaded vinyl on top. It's not a perfect seal around the shifter handle, but it is pretty close. I use a fire retardant cloth shifter boot to cover it all.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

For my 67 Camaro with a T56 Magnum, I made a plate out of sheet metal and used some rivet nuts in the trans tunnel to attach it. I very carefully cut the hole in the plate so that it is tight to the factory rubber boot on the transmission and then used some rubber molding around the hole to protect the trans boot from the metal. It worked out really good and should keep the fumes out of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
      For my 67 Camaro with a T56 Magnum, I made a plate out of sheet metal and used some rivet nuts in the trans tunnel to attach it. I very carefully cut the hole in the plate so that it is tight to the factory rubber boot on the transmission and then used some rubber molding around the hole to protect the trans boot from the metal. It worked out really good and should keep the fumes out of my car.

Very cool, would you happen to have some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Very cool, would you happen to have some pics?
      Sorry I missed your post, I will try to get some for you this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com