Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Oldsmobile Engine Power Steering Pump Solutions - What have other people tried?

What have people with Oldsmobile powered cars used for power steering pumps that will perform well in an autocross (or perhaps even road course) environment? (Perform well = avoids cavitation in power steering fluid at high rpm)

The type II power steering pump is a popular upgrade for small block chevy guys. Are there any popular options like this for Oldsmobile engines? (that bolt in relatively easily)

Also related, have any of you converted your Oldsmobile small or big block to use a more modern serpentine system? There are G-body guys who have done this, but they don't focus on upgrading the power steering pump for performance applications.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Country Flag: United States
      I've got a serpentine set up on a 455 that's going in my '69C10. It turned out so well that I may do the same thing on my '70 SX. If you want pictures, I can post some....the engine is on a dolly at the moment. I used/modified brackets for a late 80s-early90s camaro, GM trucks are very similar ( and that may actually be what's on this engine). There is some info on the web about this....the only special components required are a Olds V6 Diesel water pump and a crank pulley off a 5.0 Ford Explorer.

Since this serpentine setup uses the Camaro or truck power steering pump, there are a million different ways to configure it based on which valving you select. Can work with recirculating ball or rack and pinion types,

Travis

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com