Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Ireland

Anyone used this LS swap combo in a 2nd gen F-body?

Guys,
      As I'm in Ireland I'm trying to avoid ordering parts that are not going to work for my LS swap.

I've a '73 TransAm and have a brand new crate LS3 and Tremec TR6060. I'm going with the DSE subframe and rear Hydralink suspension.

I need someone to confirm the best option for the below:
      1) Headers - I dont want to spend a fortune on Headers that will fit, but I believe these Hedman Headers will do the trick. https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/62720. Anyone used them with the same setup?
      2) Transmission mount. Anyone recommend one that will work with the TR6060 on the DSE subframe? If not a direct fit, one with least modification.

thanks in advance!

Country Flag: United States
      DSE sells a specific set for your setup. If you're looking for a guaranteed fit, I would go with that. They don't just sell parts, they build with them as well.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/img/pro...%20Headers.pdf
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I think Hedman headers are intended for use with the BRP mounts and I would not expect them to work with the DSE subframe. Engine placement is very different as far as I know.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I think Hedman headers are intended for use with the BRP mounts and I would not expect them to work with the DSE subframe. Engine placement is very different as far as I know.

Don
      Sorry I was referring to Hedman long tube headers. Never mind....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by v8 stingray View Post
      Guys,
      As I'm in Ireland I'm trying to avoid ordering parts that are not going to work for my LS swap.

I've a '73 TransAm and have a brand new crate LS3 and Tremec TR6060. I'm going with the DSE subframe and rear Hydralink suspension.

I need someone to confirm the best option for the below:
      1) Headers - I dont want to spend a fortune on Headers that will fit, but I believe these Hedman Headers will do the trick. https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/62720. Anyone used them with the same setup?
      2) Transmission mount. Anyone recommend one that will work with the TR6060 on the DSE subframe? If not a direct fit, one with least modification.

thanks in advance!
      I've got the DSE subframe, Quadralnk, LS3/T56 combo in my first gen. I also struggled with spending the money on the DSE headers but I did because I didn't want any fitment issues. Let me just say, if you buy the DSE headers, you won't be sorry. They're flawless, won't leak, have excellent ground clearance and I've never regretted it for a minute. If you're spending the coin on the subframe, etc. don't skimp on the headers...in for a penny, in for a pound. Buy it once and buy it right!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      DSE sells a specific set for your setup. If you're looking for a guaranteed fit, I would go with that. They don't just sell parts, they build with them as well.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/img/pro...%20Headers.pdf
      Yeah was going to go with them until I saw the price! Quoted $2,350 from DSE. Not to bad, but in getting them to Ireland there's the shipping cost and an additional 30% tax calculated on the purchase price + shipping! So approx $3,315 is a slight bit more than what I wanted to pay! Was looking to see if there were more cost-effective options and the Hedman seemed to fit the bill, but after talking to them directly they didnt have any notes on whether it would work in my setup (but figured it was a close fit)

I agree, DSE headers are expensive but your options are limited for full Length headers. If you shop around you could get a small discount on them.

What if you bought them from a 3rd party? Do you still have to pay the 30%?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Gmachine / Badazz,

I know... I'm beginning to come around to that way of thinking... I cant affort to have fitment issues as returning products and incurring more expensive costs is not an option.

The transmission crossmember and mount seemts to be the biggest issue! I can get a T56 crossmember/mount - but nothing for the TR6060. Surely someone has done this before??

I believe Ultimate Headers make a header that works but I will echo what's been said about the DSE headers.

There are headers available in the Hooker Blackheart line that we’re specifically designed for the 2nd-gen/ DSE application as well.

I'm running an LS376/480 with a TR6060 in a 1980 Z28. The crossmember is a Hooker t56 and the headers are Speed Engineering. The headers fit amazing and are super cheap and no issues with the crossmember. I did have to drill new holes in the subframe to mount the crossmember.
      1980 Camaro Z28. LS376/480, TKO 600.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com