Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 mustang "Redemption" round 2 of mods

So I'm slow to get these updates posted. Back in Aug time frame engine developed a tapping noise, after tear down revealed had wrist pin bushing going out. So like and guy/car idiot "LOL" I think, hey this is a good time to make some changes. So the punishment begins. LOL

Engine and C4 trans coming out..

T56 swap, steering, and engine upgrades.

Name:  79Hn%Ti7TxOnN1ejZN8XlQ.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  240.7 KB

While engine was out decided to try and clean up the engine bay a little. Found a nasty surprise under the battery tray area that someone did a crappy repair on.

Marked the area to be cut out, once cut I traced the whole to make me a template, transferred to my sheet metal for my patch piece. Easy Peasy..

Name:  EW2ALLNpTrK%DsnqtIBqMQ.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  257.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images      

finished product... Turned out ok, would have been a little nicer if I would have took some more time on the shock tower areas etc. But I already had couple days invested already so was ready to move on.

Gateway Mustang rack.

T56 magnum showed up

Engine made it back from the builder. Backstory on the engine, it was a FRPP 392w that came in the car when I traded for it.

Since engine was apart I had them freshen it up and a few upgrades. Swapped heads from the Ford GT40x for a set of AFR 205 and custom cam from Ed Curtis at Flowtech Inducitons.

- - - Updated - - -

Took the face off the trans so could check the runout. All the readings I got were in spec so no offset dowels needed. Yay!

Fast forward... After got engine and trans in it's time to start laying out for how much to raise the tunnel and the trans cross member location. I am trying to keep this meat and potatoes and not post every little thing since there are so many posts out there already.

For mounts I am running Ron Morris lowered and adjustable along with his cross member. In order to minimize the amount of trans tunnel modding I had to do.

I am running MDL clutch and master cylinder kit and a RAM throwout bearing.

Had to call in some special skills to help me on this ordeal.

Pics from the tunnel cutting and modding. Raised it approx 1.250". Cut the tunnel brace at 10 and 2 O'clock to make room. Slit and tapered the brace as it came up, pushed it in to increase left and right clearances. Welded that up and used a 1/8"x4" flat bent to shape of top hoop to reinforce where I had cut the upper part of the brace out. Zoom in on the above pic of the trans and you can see the taper and underneath work.

Pics of the actual tunnel surgery. I didn't post the making of the templates etc as to keep things short.

Headers are ceramic coated set from FPA. With the lowered mounts they liked the Gateway rack system little too much. So Gateway sent me a spacer system to push it down a touch and make additional clearance.

Had to make a bracket for the KRC pump system to get it out far enough to line up with the March setup and drop the unit so the PS belt didn't rub on the water pump pulley snout.

Things worked out so that the console actually went back in. I removed the underside console brace and it sits right on the tunnel.

Engine bay wrapped up. New CSR radiator that I found on the clearance section of Speedway motors. Rear brakes got upgraded with a set of Street or Tracks to match the front.

Next on the list is tackling the gauges. Saving up funds to order a new setup. Pretty sure it will get the Classic Instruments Auto Cross grey set.

Nice car, can you tell a difference in the engine with the head and cam swap ? Impressions ?

Seems a little peppier... But I got things back to gather right as winter weather set in so not many chances to get it out. Compression should be 10:1..

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com