Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Aeroquip Push Loc hose for efi?

Anyone here have experience with Aeroquip Push Loc with EFI? My hydraulics shop tole me it was fine. It was rated for fuel and 250PSI.

The problem is that after 500 miles one of the hoses came loose and sprayed gas everywhere while I was driving. I found the following when I went to fix it. The two 6AN fuel rail lines run to a 8AN out Y fitting before meeting up with the filter.

So you can see where the hose split and then after I cut the hose back about 6 inches you can see what I found inside. Disconcerting to say the least?

Does anyone on here have similar experiences with their stuff? At roughly $6 a foot, I expect better.

IMG_5038 by , on Flickr
      IMG_5041 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/15918[/url], on Flickr
      IMG_5043 by ,

SAE 100 R6 is a hydraulic hose spec. -- not fuel. SAE J30 covers fuel hose. Pretty much anything that looks or feels like a rubber like material is going to degrade rapidly with modern fuels.

Discussed at length here
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-took-a-crap

John, is there any push lock hose that is rated for EFI? I have a lot of fittings and about 7 hoses that will need to be remade. None are very long but I'd prefer to buy just the hose if it is available. If not, I'll just have to buy all new everything.

Country Flag: United States
      Any push-lock hoses with the PTFE lining?
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by J-440 View Post
      Any push-lock hoses with the PTFE lining?
      I wish. I don't know of any.

That hose only looks to be rated for hydraulic oil and diesel fuel, I didn't see anything in my initial search that said the hose you are having an issue with is rated for gasoline.

Use the right hose and you probably won't have an issue. Most anything is E85 rated today.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I've used gates efi hose for years on a bunch of cars without any issues? The hose was used with 6an push lock fittings all the time but I always used efi hose clamps in conjunction. I never had an issue. Link below to hose I've used. Gates 3/8 efi hose with 6an push lock fittings.

In the first few lines of the first link below it states it won't deteriorate with modern fuels.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...-pkg/p/p100111

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...ine-hose/c/201
      Ahmad B.

I'm using the Russel hose. I don't run E85, so I'm not sure if it's rated for it or not. Tho I suppose these days all the fuel is a blend.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...wist-lok.shtml
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

From Russel's product description "suitable for most fuel and oil system"
      If they had designed and tested to a SAE standard, they most likely would have mentioned it as it differentiates from those products that haven't gone through this process. Its possible you live in a place where you are getting 100% gasoline without any significant blend -- this hose might live a long life so long as the blend doesn't change. Otherwise its possibly a time bomb.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-21-2019 at 06:21 AM.

I've read four years on straight E85. But you are correct. These days there really isn't a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      I've read four years on straight E85. But you are correct. These days there really isn't a simple solution.
      Everyone is running their own discrete experiment when they build a custom car. Some things work for some people, same thing might not work for someone else. SAE and other available standards provide a uniform lexicon to describe the performance characteristic across a known and repeatable set of criteria. PersonalIy won't use anything less than PTFE conductive core thats been tested and advertised to meet a standard I feel is suitable for my application.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-21-2019 at 07:19 AM.

I understand. Unfortunately, it's tough to be an expert on every facet of a custom car build. At least for a hobbyist. The fuel system is a good example. It's an area where I "assumed" the vendor was an expert. I ordered a kit that included, the tank, the regulator, the pump, and the Russel hose. It is advertised as a complete kit for an EFI swap into an early Camaro.

I recognized my knowledge gap, and chose to pay more to have a vendor work out the details. Fast forward another year or so, and now I understand more about hoses and lines, and I'll probably have to rework that section of my fuel system.

I ended up getting the correct push loc hose from Aeroquip. It's the blue AQP FC322 socketless hose instead of the black socketless hose. It does not use a clamp though and they go so far as to tell you to not use a clamp in their instructions. It states it is rated for gasoline and is rated as 250 psi with the push loc ends. It shows an SAE rating.

Doug,
      What is the SAE rating?

John, can you expand on the requirement for conductivity in a hose? I'm having a hard time reconciling the need for a hose to be able to pass electricity when it has anodized fittings on both ends that won't.

Also curious about how a metal hardline in the fuel system would affect the need for a conductive hose, if at all.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      John, can you expand on the requirement for conductivity in a hose? I'm having a hard time reconciling the need for a hose to be able to pass electricity when it has anodized fittings on both ends that won't.

Also curious about how a metal hardline in the fuel system would affect the need for a conductive hose, if at all.
      This hits is at a high level view.

https://hotrodfuelhose.com/blogs/rad...e-is-it-needed

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

Donny,
      I have scratched my head over this as well but its just not something I want to run the experiment on to save a few bucks. As a manufacturer, I'm always going to take a conservative approach.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-23-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
      "If you are running gasoline in a very high flow system with a smaller sized hose you may be at risk and need to step up to conductive hose."

I didn't see anything in the blog post that defined the flow rate or hose diameter combination that created the risk situations they described -- maybe its somewhere else on their site. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for the conductive core and not have to worry about it.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-23-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Without disclosing the source, I had an enlightening conversation with a very high ranking engineer at a company we would all recognize regarding the conductive needs. I could tell you who it was, but then I'd have to kill you..... ;-

The purpose, for their application, of the conductive hose is to prevent electrical corrosion. Under high fluid velocities a static charge may be built, and when discharged through the hose, electrical corrosion occurs. Over time this corrosion process may eat away enough of the hose to cause hose failure. The additions of conductive carbon allows for use in high flow velocity + anti-static applications.

In the applications that were discussed the pressures and flowrates are far higher than what we normally deal with in automotive. However, it costs no more for conductive hose so why not take advantage?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I'd only add to Carl's comments, that if the OEM's thought they didn't need the conductive core, they'd certainly skip it to save a few bucks. Maybe it's a low probability failure, but it's incredibly high magnitude.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-28-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com